• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Choosing the right (few) coins for investment

DonWerner

So here's the deal - I am a (noob) stacker more than a collector and I am not into buy and flipping a large amount of coins, but would like to have a few coins in my portfolio, which has the potential to be a good investment down the line (within a span of 5-10 years maybe). Problem is I am very confused as to what to buy. Been looking at the Swan and Queens beast series, which seems to do well + I like the designs, but what would you guys recommend? Which coins do you think will turn out to be the better investment in say 5 to 10 years? Surely something with a low mintage or..?

Sovs will just track spot price unless you opt for something like the Pistrucci or peidfort sovs.

If you are hoping to gain an additional premium over spot then queens beasts seem to be doing quite well and coins such as Pandas are a good option.

I would go for the 10oz queens beasts coin for that timeline. Reason? Buillon coin that will attract a great deal of premium relative to the risk. Why not the 2oz? Well the series are in the mid of the cycle but you can get griffins/dragons which are early in the series to a low premium but with the potential to attract great premium later on.

A play could be to buy some 10z QB and then sell them or trade them for britanias during that timeline if you are situated in the UK. A hard brexit would probably enhance the value even more.

Ps. You might wanna diversify with something more but keep it simple 

Thanks for the advice.

I want to keep it simple and only invest in a few coins from two or three different series. One of the things I find difficult is getting an overview of the different series, when they started, how far along they are in the cycle, what the mintage is and so on. Is it possible to get that information anywhere on the net?

9 minutes ago, DonWerner said:

Thanks for the advice.

I want to keep it simple and only invest in a few coins from two or three different series. One of the things I find difficult is getting an overview of the different series, when they started, how far along they are in the cycle, what the mintage is and so on. Is it possible to get that information anywhere on the net?

Usually the sites of individual mints will have them (RM Bullion and Royal Mint for example). I think sites like Numista have pretty comprehensive sets fo information but they also cover a lot of old coins so it can be a little overwhelming.

The key words you use are stacker and investor. There is no right coin. If you chase a coin you end up spending too much. Be an opportunist. Buy that which is good value.

If you are in the UK you should hold some small good value gold coins. Usually the sovereign fits into that bracket but other coins can also represent good value. If you need to sell quickly you will generally get your money back intact. They are always in demand.

Then if you think metals will stay subdued keep your eyes peeled for nice coins. There are no specific coins. If you can get proofs at a good price, in good condition, with a COA then get them. Ash is selling some nice gold coins right now on the selling thread.

If you think metals are going to appreciate big time in the next year or two, just buy metal. The more metal you can get for your money the better your investment will appreciate. So in gold get sovereigns.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just to clarify your intention, you are a stacker but want some premium potential, that's a smart choice hedging bets but there are no guarantees. Look for a series that is low premium and take a punt, no one knows what will be popular or trendy in 5-10 years.

Queens Beasts series look good, both silver and gold.  Minimal premiums new (assuming silver purchased from suitable EU sources) and gain some collector premium in a couple of years. They have interesting images, nothing terrible or controversial, and some story, things count towards collectability and future premium.

I'd say go for relatively low premium stuff (so the Oriental Britannias, the newer QBs etc) that way there's less to lose if they eventually go for bullion value. More importantly, go for stuff that you like and will get some satisfaction/pleasure from owning :)

3 hours ago, Ritvaser said:

I would go for the 10oz queens beasts coin for that timeline. Reason? Buillon coin that will attract a great deal of premium relative to the risk. Why not the 2oz? Well the series are in the mid of the cycle but you can get griffins/dragons which are early in the series to a low premium but with the potential to attract great premium later on.

Agree with this - this is what I am doing - 2 x 10oz per release. The 10ozers are cheap, but very visual and will keep you interested. I also feel that 2 x 10oz capsuled coins are less likely to spot than 20oz of tubed coins.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

31 minutes ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

Agree with this - this is what I am doing - 2 x 10oz per release. The 10ozers are cheap, but very visual and will keep you interested. I also feel that 2 x 10oz capsuled coins are less likely to spot than 20oz of tubed coins.

FYI. if you buy 3 from gs.be the come sealed from the mint , shrink wrapped to cardboard backing, less chance of marked capsules and i suppose they are sealed in airtight too. 

6 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

FYI. if you buy 3 from gs.be the come sealed from the mint , shrink wrapped to cardboard backing, less chance of marked capsules and i suppose they are sealed in airtight too. 

Great .... now I need to buy 3 each time in addition to paying a premium for another Lion .... you swine!! In all honesty thanks for this info, I will do this from now on.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

41 minutes ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

Yes - interest is a huge thing for many. I believe a diversified stack is important for those who only buy to hold. All my pieces that are not strictly buillon is bought With the intent to sell, the buy/sell/trade is the interest to me but if only bought to hold, 10oz and perhaps even nice kilos would be a big deal.

5 minutes ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

Great .... now I need to buy 3 each time in addition to paying a premium for another Lion .... you swine!! In all honesty thanks for this info, I will do this from now on.

No worries :lol:

The lions have shot up lately ! The griffins are following aswel i notice.

***sorry to de-rail the op's thread with beast talk ,  but they do make a good bet !***

For silver you can't go wrong buying Britannia's or the Queens Beast series from the group order ?.   Not the high premium back dated ones.

Every time I see older Britannia's at dealers they seem to command a premium.

I don't see many queens beast lions for sale on here or any older Britannia's.  When I do see them the seem to sell.

Capital gains free too.

My tuppence, low cost 1st and second of a longer run limited coin set and then hope that the series keeps going and is popular. If an early coin series isn't started as new then when people get into them, they want to back track and get a complete set, thats what is being seen with the QB coins. Im not going near Australian Lunar unless they start a 3rd series;)

You don’t give any hint as to budget but if you can stretch to 1oz gold coins I’d suggest the Queen’s Beast dragon is interesting right now.

Available for maybe 1% more than the unicorn or bull but will soon go out of production. At that point I’d expect dealer prices to follow the griffin and lion up into the 30+% premium range.

Mintage looks to be similar to the griffin, so maybe 70% lower than the lion.

Basically you’re investing in gold bullion with a premium that’s admittedly higher than on sovereigns but with a potential resale premium that looks promising.

Archived