• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Welsh Gold Rush?

PansPurse

Why is it worth more? :lol:

I lived in wales for a few years and remember being shown some 'welsh gold' in jewellery shops, looked like it had been mixed with too much copper was dam near pink. Not the stuff they are panning out of the rivers of course but that is the image I get now when someone mentions welsh gold. Modern sovereigns are a similar colour.

Not just welsh gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-38150601

Although this is not 30 times the price.

People like the romance of "welsh" or "celtic" gold. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Incredible.

How can you prove authenticity of origin? You can't because its gold and gold is the same everywhere. That is why it is so good at what we use it for. 

By the way what is to stop me buying nuggets of gold and passing them off as 'welsh gold'. Plenty on sale, they are at a premium but not 30 times, must be easy money to made there. What is to stop BYB melting gold into what looks like ancient welsh river nuggets and doing the same? BYB if you do this I want a kickback for coming up with the idea, 10% of the proceeds will do ;)

11 minutes ago, KDave said:

Incredible.

How can you prove authenticity of origin? You can't because its gold and gold is the same everywhere. That is why it is so good at what we use it for. 

By the way what is to stop me buying nuggets of gold and passing them off as 'welsh gold'. Plenty on sale, they are at a premium but not 30 times, must be easy money to made there. What is to stop BYB melting gold into what looks like ancient welsh river nuggets and doing the same? BYB if you do this I want a kickback for coming up with the idea, 10% of the proceeds will do ;)

Very interesting story told to me by the CEO of the Edinburgh assay office (one I intend for him to repeat when I interview him in August). 

The Edinburgh Assay Office have employees that can be present when the Scottish gold is mined. They then take custody of it and seal it in forensic bags which are then kept as proof and a chain of custody is created all the way from the mine to the jewellers. The CEO was once travelling with some unfinished items of pure Scottish gold and was stopped at airport security and was asked to open the evidence bag. When the security man was asked to give a lot of personal details so he could be a verifiable part of the custody chain he said he didn't need to open the bag!

So I don't know what it is like with the welsh gold but for Scottish gold that is fascinating. As I said I want to get that story on camera later this year!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

11 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Very interesting story told to me by the CEO of the Edinburgh assay office (one I intend for him to repeat when I interview him in August). 

The Edinburgh Assay Office have employees that can be present when the Scottish gold is mined. They then take custody of it and seal it in forensic bags which are then kept as proof and a chain of custody is created all the way from the mine to the jewellers. The CEO was once travelling with some unfinished items of pure Scottish gold and was stopped at airport security and was asked to open the evidence bag. When the security man was asked to give a lot of personal details so he could be a verifiable part of the custody chain he said he didn't need to open the bag!

So I don't know what it is like with the welsh gold but for Scottish gold that is fascinating. As I said I want to get that story on camera later this year!

I wonder if the price may come down after they start minting them by the million?B)

That's the one Clogau gold. I thought the jeweller was saying 'copper gold' because of the colour until they clarified what they were selling was very special gold mined locally in Wales, they were very proud of it.

I actually wanted a platinum ring, mined from South Africa, its incredibly rare 30 times rarer than gold, and it will eventually run out! :P

On 5/10/2018 at 10:01, BackyardBullion said:

Not just welsh gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-38150601

Although this is not 30 times the price.

People like the romance of "welsh" or "celtic" gold. 

You know what's romantic to me? Gold. Scottish, Mexican, Chinese, it's all gold. If I can get it at a decent price, then I get lots of good warm fuzzies, much like kissing a girl. That what I call romantic.

4 hours ago, RacerCool said:

You know what's romantic to me? Gold. Scottish, Mexican, Chinese, it's all gold. If I can get it at a decent price, then I get lots of good warm fuzzies, much like kissing a girl. That what I call romantic.

Dunno, I prefer women, and occasional men :P

Or perhaps not:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/10/police-investigate-gold-panning-welsh-river
"Welsh Gold is the rarest gold on earth and worth up to 30 times more than standard world gold"

It does seem a little odd...there is a person on eBay trying to sell a “pure welsh gold” wedding ring on eBay for GBP966,000.

When gold was formed, I whether in Wales, Egypt, Australia etc I don’t think there was any difference in its atomic composition :-)

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:32, sovereignsteve said:

the gold in my garden is far rarer than Welsh gold:P

your sovereign wall :ph34r: 

shuuuuuuuuuuuu 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

1 hour ago, Ollie1016 said:

For it to be classed as 'Welsh gold', it must have at least 1% Welsh gold in it. It's basically all a massive marketing spin....

turn that 20g nugget in to 2kg "Welsh gold" and make a killing on some overpriced jewellery

Archived