• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is silver stacking even worth it for me?

DonWerner

Hi,

So, I've been wanting to get into silver stacking for a while, but been holding back, because I am not entirely sure it will be worth it for me.

Problem is, I live in Denmark (small european country) and I am not sure I would ever be able to sell my silver again at a reasonable price. We don't have coin shops or pawn shops here. We do have a few online stores who will buy silver, but they only pay the silver scrap price, no matter what type of coin you want to sell, because they only buy the silver to melt it. At a place like that the going rate for a silver eagle is around 25% below the purchase/market price of an eagle. That leaves me with the option to sell the coins thru places like craigslist (we dont have that in Denmark, but something similar), but the silver stacking community/market here is small, and it would take me forever to convert the silver back into cash.

So, my question to you is - should I go ahead and start stacking, even though I know I will have a hard time selling of the silver at a reasonable price, should I ever need to? Any advice is much appreciated!

Whether you consider silver a sensible investment is obviously down to you and acquiring it abroad would make sense depending on the tax situation. It is good that you look take a good look at your exit strategy since you eventually you will have to sell it off again. 

The other day a member posted a link to a Dutch dealer, who would buy coins above spot, which will significantly reduce the spread between purchase price and sales price. This might be a viable option to post or even drive across the border to Germany/The Netherlands and buy/sell your coins there. Don't forget that you can buy/sell for up to 10.000€ in cash in Germany without the need for an ID. 

Depends on what you want your silver for, a quick flip or keep it for 5/10/20 years. I know if the price goes silly tomorrow or next month I will be selling a good 80%+ of my silver. One way to look at it is, how much can I get from a savings account? 1.5%? If you can make 10% that is very nice.

Hi,
So, I've been wanting to get into silver stacking for a while, but been holding back, because I am not entirely sure it will be worth it for me.
Problem is, I live in Denmark (small european country) and I am not sure I would ever be able to sell my silver again at a reasonable price. We don't have coin shops or pawn shops here. We do have a few online stores who will buy silver, but they only pay the silver scrap price, no matter what type of coin you want to sell, because they only buy the silver to melt it. At a place like that the going rate for a silver eagle is around 25% below the purchase/market price of an eagle. That leaves me with the option to sell the coins thru places like craigslist (we dont have that in Denmark, but something similar), but the silver stacking community/market here is small, and it would take me forever to convert the silver back into cash.

So, my question to you is - should I go ahead and start stacking, even though I know I will have a hard time selling of the silver at a reasonable price, should I ever need to? Any advice is much appreciated!
I would go a head and study the market and look at the coins silver that rise in value. I would and if you ever decided to sell load up and travel where your able to liquidate readily easy and consider rounds or bars if you could buy low and sell in your area if need be .Im a average stacker in america If I could help in any way I .I have mailed some coins to individuals that are looking to acquire but unable because of there location .Stack wisely oh and check out my new You tube channel 'Silently Stacking '

6 hours ago, DonWerner said:

Hi,

If you're considering stacking weigh up all your options e.g. Coins, rounds, bars, scrap. Also shop around, some places do silver at spot. I know SilverGoldBull do a 10oz bar at spot (but unfortunately it is limited to 1 per household). If I was going to give you one tip it would be to just buy a couple 1oz coins and see how you feel about it. As soon as I got my hands on a couple I instantly wanted more :D

I am very biased but I think silver is hugely undervalued.

To add another thought  to those already given - things change! Perhaps you could be very much 'ahead of the curve' in your country?

Since I have been a member here (around a year I think) many, many more people (on here, including myself) have become interested in (and buy) gold Sovereigns, for example, due to (imho) the very wise advice of what at first to me seemed a minority. In a similar way Numistacker has got a huge amount of people into grading coins over that short timespan.

I have seen very many coins become popular because of the interest shown on here.

Could you perhaps (even if slowly but surely) become a 'trendsetter' in your own country? It seems to me that perhaps there is an opportunity here for you!

Even if you 'keep quiet' I think you are way ahead of much of your compatriots by looking at precious metals (but again I am biased!). The early bird catches the worm (but is this the kind of worm you wish to catch, is the question!).

Good luck and let us know what you decide! You can perhaps start very slowly and see how you go? :)

22 minutes ago, Beano said:

If you're considering stacking weigh up all your options e.g. Coins, rounds, bars, scrap. Also shop around, some places do silver at spot. I know SilverGoldBull do a 10oz bar at spot (but unfortunately it is limited to 1 per household). If I was going to give you one tip it would be to just buy a couple 1oz coins and see how you feel about it. As soon as I got my hands on a couple I instantly wanted more :D

Hi, I checked out the 10oz spot bar but the shipping and tax is around £50. Is there anyone else you know of doing this deal without tax. Thanks 

Välkommen till forumet,

Jag tycker att du ska köpa dig ett par olika silvermynt för att testa

Köper du dom till ett bra pris, så får du alltid tillbaka pengarna

Jag handlar mest via forum men även ebay

Prova dig fram vad som funkar för dig

Annars så finns ju guld med en liten spread

18 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

Hi, I checked out the 10oz spot bar but the shipping and tax is around £50. Is there anyone else you know of doing this deal without tax. Thanks 

This guy did a YT vid on it 

hope this helps :)

19 minutes ago, zeusss4 said:

Sorry I'm in turkey and somehow ended up on the Norwegian site and have now come across uk site 

7 hours ago, DonWerner said:

Hi,

I was in a similar situation when i started. Also a small country. Also no coin shops or dealers. If there were small dealers they just dealt in Irish coinage and some very limited coin ranges. Didn't stop me. I was convinced i wanted to do this, and discovered there is a vast marketplace out there. Both for buying and selling. Geography isn't limiting anymore. Besides, for quick liquidation if needed some day and that is your concern, you are a drive away from the hub of the action - Germany.

No good buying physical silver if you can't sell it. Look at ETF or vaulted if its exposure to the silver price that you want.

If the idea of buying silver came because you want something in hand then look into gold instead, must be somewhere that buys gold for near spot?

You could get involved in the upcoming Kinesis currency project. A blockchain title of ownership over physical gold and silver which will be a currency and produce a yield.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Some good advice here. Thanks everybody. I think I am going to go ahead with the project and start stacking. When/if it comes time to sell many years from now, I'll load my stack in the car and drive south across the border to Germany and sell it there. Who knows, conditions might also have changed here in Denmark and I will be able to sell it locally. I am not a short term stacker, I won't be selling for at least 20 years. I am thinking my first goal will be a monster box of ASE. 1f642.png:-)

Archived