• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much silver is too much silver ?

UkSilverStacker

How much silver did you have when you maybe started to worry and start to put it in a safe or something of that kind ? I’m not at the stage that I’m that worried , i keep it hidden but I’m interested how you guys and girls keep your silver /gold safe ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big dogs, a dog can typically hold at least ten ounces in its gizzard :ph34r:

It's a good question. Relatively small safes can be obtained for a reasonable price, although my stack is worth less than my laptop, and I know which I'd be more gutted to lose

Safe under stairs, decent sized safe which was a total f**ker to put in place, I had it delivered to my brothers work as was paranoid about it being seen being delivered to my house and had it moved in later one night, would love to see someone try to move this thing now! 

I acknowledge the point that silver can be difficult to store, but even in a tiny urban flat I think I could secrete 1000toz of the shinney stuff  around the place with reasonable peace of. Mind that little if any would be found. Get creative with the fabric of the house. Some behind plasterboard then retaped, in the back of old broken appliances in the loft, frozen in the stew, weights under large ornaments, he'll what about cuttlery, who would think that could be made of  silver! 

Silver is so undervalued people believe in the paper price as its held for so long. Through the ages a skilled persons labour for a day has sat around a half Oz of silver, so in today's market about £6. Someday the price may revert to some semblance of equilibrium , keep stacking folks. Here's an interesting article to put it into perspective. 

https://moneyweek.com/what-wages-in-ancient-athens-can-tell-us-about-the-silver-price-today/

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

3 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

Safes are attention magnets.

But are great as a diversionary tactic. Leave a safe out that's easy to find and fill it with worthless junk but leave a note on the outside of it saying it's full of junk.

If a burglar finds it they'll take it as they will think you're bluffing.

2 hours ago, Xander said:

Buy a big Rottweiler and tie an elastic band around its willy at night, that will keep him awake, and your Silver safe.

:lol: Ah you've been reading up on Baldrick's book of cunning plans! Is there a backup plan when said Rottweiler gets a tad miffed with the bugger who persists in tying elastic around its willy, and goes for said bugger's throat.

Forget safes. Get the biggest turnip you can find, hollow it out and stuff with silver. Job done. :D

7 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Get some of these, dont pay a fortune, make them yourself, or send me a pair to wear for a few days for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Contents-Travel-Passport-Wallet/dp/B006C8TPNM

• "Keep valuables hidden in plain sight for optimal theft avoidance"?!
  •  
  •  

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I use a service ( Vault ) which I pay monthly for but it holds my Physical Gold and Silver and they will deliver my bars ( serial numbers matching ) to me. I also use a firearms safe close to other firearms safes. If the UK police approve the fitting and deem that my firearms are safe I think my gold and silver are too. 

When I reach 1 kilo of gold ( small bars) I usually sell them or make a deal and get a larger bar and extra money. Which is good because I need to pay for 1kilo bar to be picked up and recorded and delivered to my safe. 

I take that time to put as many 10 kilo bars of silver there as well..

Just be safe and ALWAYS tell your insurance the serial numbers etc. It's a hassle but worth it. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:31, jonrms said:

I also use a firearms safe close to other firearms safes. If the UK police approve the fitting and deem that my firearms are safe I think my gold and silver are too. 

are firearms safes more secure than proper jewellers/bank safes?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

48 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

are firearms safes more secure than proper jewellers/bank safes?

What i have seen as nowhere near as secure - sort of glorified locker room cabinets.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I’ve been following magnet fishing as a topic on YouTube and judging by the amount of safes these people are dragging out of canals I guess only the largest safes are ‘safe’ from removal. Even then, if you’re in the house at the time that you’re robbed - who’s to say how easily you’d give up the combo to keep your family out of harms way. It’s much harder to hide a large safe out of sight.

Splitting up your stack and hiding it in many places is probably the most secure way, so that if burglars find some of the more obvious hidey holes, at least all of your stack doesn’t get exposed/stolen.

in answer to the OP there’s no such thing as too much silver (or gold), though you should never store all your wealth in one asset class. But with uncertain times ahead and prices very low, you’d be daft not to stack it high whilst you can. 

Archived