• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Would you prefer a 960-ish anti-tarnish silver alloy over 999 silver?

Bimetallic

Hello everyone. When I started stacking, I was alarmed to learn that pure silver (999 or 9999) tarnishes. I had thought that only Sterling silver had that problem, and that it was due to the copper in the Sterling alloy.

Question: Would you rather have 999+ pure silver or silver alloy that was resistant to tarnish? It's a bit of an academic question, since I'm not aware of any products (coins, rounds, bars) made from an anti-tarnish alloy, but I'm curious what you think. Argentium is probably the most well-known, but there are lots of other such alloys assembled in this list at SilverSmithing.com (PDF).

I'd have at least a small preference for the alloy, but certain details would matter, like price.

22 minutes ago, Bimetallic said:

Hello everyone. When I started stacking, I was alarmed to learn that pure silver (999 or 9999) tarnishes. I had thought that only Sterling silver had that problem, and that it was due to the copper in the Sterling alloy.

Question: Would you rather have 999+ pure silver or silver alloy that was resistant to tarnish? It's a bit of an academic question, since I'm not aware of any products (coins, rounds, bars) made from an anti-tarnish alloy, but I'm curious what you think. Argentium is probably the most well-known, but there are lots of other such alloys assembled in this list at SilverSmithing.com (PDF).

I'd have at least a small preference for the alloy, but certain details would matter, like price.

For me, its pure Silver all the way, Alloys had a purpose in Coins that were circulated, for wear resistance in days gone by, but for bullion or collectors of 999 and 9999, its intrinsic value is in its purity. From what i understand 3 and 4 nine silver tarnishes(or is it reacts to sulphur?) at a slower rate, even slower with correct storage. For stackers, tarnished silver is still silver, some collectors love the tarnishing, others don't. Or at least that's my take on it all.

In the UK our Britannias were from Britannia Silver 958 and i remember certain years tarnishing/toning like mad, i can't remember which year, but one year had a total toned side on a good percentage of the coins.

I know this is a strange thing to say, but I like silver tarnish, I don't avoid it.  On 999 silver tarnish is a really pretty color, almost like a bronzy grey, hard to describe really, but I find it attractive to look at.  I know a lot of people don't feel that way.  I wouldn't like it if it were uneven, like if only half a coin was tarnished, but as long as it is pretty evenly distributed I prefer it.  I also like the tarnish because it is such a distinct color that it is a good indicator of whether something is, in fact, silver (or at least silver plated).  If I'm choosing rounds out of a lot of generic rounds, I'll typically choose the ones with a bit of tarnish on them, all else being equal.

Edit, see, aren't these bars pretty ...

s12s.JPG

11 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

I know this is a strange thing to say, but I like silver tarnish, I don't avoid it.  On 999 silver tarnish is a really pretty color, almost like a bronzy grey, hard to describe really, but I find it attractive to look at.  I know a lot of people don't feel that way.  I wouldn't like it if it were uneven, like if only half a coin was tarnished, but as long as it is pretty evenly distributed I prefer it.  I also like the tarnish because it is such a distinct color that it is a good indicator of whether something is, in fact, silver (or at least silver plated).  If I'm choosing rounds out of a lot of generic rounds, I'll typically choose the ones with a bit of tarnish on them, all else being equal.

yeah I am the same- especially when buying older coins / bars. 

Nice selection you have there.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

yeah I am the same- especially when buying older coins / bars. 

Nice selection you have there.

Likewise for me, when a friend obtained some Morgan dollars for me I was far more interested int he nicely deep toned one than the shinier examples

I would prefer all naked, it would be an easier way for the fakers to cover up, I know a lot of modern silver jewellry is rhodium plated these days to stop it tarnishing, but modern silver does not look like the nice old unplated kind when it get a patina on it.

Archived