• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Baird & Co

I was about to set up an account at Baird & Co because they have a particular coin at a good price. I thought it would be as simple as registering at any other dealers. I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition!!!! :o (Nobody Does!) 

Anybody else have an account with them? And how do you all feel about all the I.D. required? 

1 minute ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Can’t remember doing that, read something about needing ID if you pick up from store in Hatton garden

They require a photo or scan of some photographic I.D. and a copy of a bank statement or utility bill as proof of address! 

I have photo I.D. but no bills in my name or bank statements as they don't send them anymore! 

1 minute ago, CosmikDebris said:

I have accounts with three other dealers, one of which I set up two weeks ago and nobody has ever asked for this. 

I agree you don’t need to do it for all companies but it will become the norm over time.

I had to do it for the Royal Mint Bullion site and it wasn’t straight forward as I don’t live in the UK.

This is why forums like this one are good for purchases.

1 minute ago, mr-dead said:

Why do you need to register for an account?

Why cant you just add the item to cart and checkout?

It seems as if you need to register and then fund the account. Read the statement that appears above the email box when you try to check out.

On 16/04/2018 at 19:50, CosmikDebris said:

I was about to set up an account at Baird & Co because they have a particular coin at a good price. I thought it would be as simple as registering at any other dealers. I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition!!!! :o (Nobody Does!) 

Anybody else have an account with them? And how do you all feel about all the I.D. required? 

It's not obligatory to set an account up with Bairds, as @mr-dead points out, simply check out as a guest. 

Bairds don't make this clear though. 

They only ask you to set an account up if you are spending over, £10k or so, I guess to comply with Government regulations to counter money laundering.  

Atkinsons asked me for id before they would process an order for the first time. 

I've just tried to register to bid on an online auction but they require to see the original photo ID and utility bill before you can bid!

Do they really expect people to send them their passport or drivers licence for the priviledge of spending money with them?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I had that debate with one auction house; said fine I shall not bid then and was registered the next day.  They did say they would accept a scan of the documents instead of the originals so if you have scans you could suggest that.

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've just tried to register to bid on an online auction but they require to see the original photo ID and utility bill before you can bid!

Do they really expect people to send them their passport or drivers licence for the priviledge of spending money with them?

to be fair from what I hear from one of the guys I worked with - internet bidders can be nightmares to deal with sometimes especially with buyers remorse. SO they like to the "real person". 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

I had that debate with one auction house; said fine I shall not bid then and was registered the next day.  They did say they would accept a scan of the documents instead of the originals so if you have scans you could suggest that.

I already did have the conversation about how most everybody else accepts scans or photocopies. Having said that, I have bought from at least 2 dozen online auction sites with just a credit card, no other ID necessary.

5 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

to be fair from what I hear from one of the guys I worked with - internet bidders can be nightmares to deal with sometimes especially with buyers remorse. SO they like to the "real person". 

That's why they take credit card details and do a check on those. Knowing the ID of a buyer isn't as good as having a means to take payment.

Archived