• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trade Dollar proof on the way :)

Frenchie

The East India Company and Westminster collection  at 99£,  Powercoin.it a little bit cheaper around  95£

Waiting Goldsilver.be prices... 

Mintage 2500, I think this will be a winner and this is the first from a serie of 5 Trade Dollar (other countries USA, France, Japan, China) coming within 2 years

The BU is already beautiful and  I am eager to have this beauty in my hand  (in her capsule of course :) )

5 hours ago, Frenchie said:

5acccd5e05676_TradeDollarproof.png.03be02c24cc440f95b4e04dc09616ea3.png

TD5.png.9f2e79f6f6a4f15c030c8c55fb6ffd90.png

I've seen a similar issue from St. Helena with a different image of the Queen. This is from the island of Niue. Is there more back story on the different trade dollar issues? Why some British Overseas Territories are using different Queen's images?

31 minutes ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

I've seen a similar issue from St. Helena with a different image of the Queen. This is from the island of Niue. Is there more back story on the different trade dollar issues? Why some British Overseas Territories are using different Queen's images?

Different companies issued them. The St Helena was a European seller that commissioned it. The Proofs a different one

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

59 minutes ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

I don't know if the East India company minted both the BU and the proofs but here  are my "2 cents" about this. The BU has a legal value of 1£ and is considered as a coin while the proof one  has a "value" of 1 dollar, (with the Queen) so  maybe i am wrong  but I think that this proof  can only be considered as a medal without a legal value and is aimed to collectors in the perspective to  create a "coin" which is  the closest to the original Trade dollars  strucked at the end of the 19th century and had a value in Dollar, not in Pound

I have the BU version sitting next to the Oriental Border Britannia and I have to say the Britannia wins the contest for me because of the contrast between the figure and the background.  So I think this proof version will be better than the BU.  Don't get me wrong I like the BU but it has to go next to my original fake Trade Dollar so that it looks good.

glad I have none of these  modern trade dollar , I guess some other island / countries / unknown company will re-strike them soon 

already have a gold trade dollar from some where and a silver from st helen , next is east india company 

who is next ? :D 

probably hotdog island, sandwich island  etc 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

6 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

glad I have none of these  modern trade dollar , I guess some other island / countries / unknown company will re-strike them soon 

already have a gold trade dollar from some where and a silver from st helen , next is east india company 

Actually there have been restrikes as far back as the 90s, there are quite a few versions floating around including cuni versions 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

4 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Actually there have been restrikes as far back as the 90s, there are quite a few versions floating around including cuni versions 

For my information, If you could give me some links about all these  different modern Trade dollar restrikes that seem to exist,   I would be glad to find them

I try to google them but  I only find the 5oz  silver  restrike MEDAL  in 1988 after  googling 8 pages

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink-china/catalogue-id-srsp10013/lot-90b020dd-dfa3-4171-80a6-a45e00c86c44

This restrike was made exclusively for the  "1988 5-Coin Gold & Silver Britannia Prestige Proof Set"

https://www.apmex.com/product/66809/1988-5-coin-gold-silver-britannia-prestige-prf-set-box-coa

This present new Trade Dollar proof is minted under an authoritie, whatever it is, even if this is a  microscopic atoll lost in the middle of ocean, if it belongs to Commonwealth . I don't know if this is a medal or a coin, thought the dealers seem to call it a "coin" (will try to get the information)

Moreover, this is the "East India Company" ,which struck the original ones at the end of the 19th century, which restrike these now  

Taken on the East India Company site :

https://www.theeastindiacompany.com/products/2018-british-trade-dollar-1oz-silver-proof-coin-coming-soon/

The Trade Dollar Collection

The East India Company’s New Trade Dollar Collection consist of five new coin designs celebrating the infamous defacto Trade Dollar currency of the Orient. Silver Trade Dollars were introduced by countries across the world to provide silver to merchants to exchange for Chinese tea, silks and porcelains as they raced to the Orient in the late 1800’s.

The Trade Dollar Collection consists of five beautifully designed coins, each inspired by the original trade dollar designs of the Britain, America, France, Japan and China. Planned for release at regular intervals over the next two years, each coin is minted to exceptionally low issue limits and are expected to be one of the most highly prized collections of the modern coinage era.

I think this is a winner. We will see if they sold out quickly . But of course, time will tell

12 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Different companies issued them. The St Helena was a European seller that commissioned it. The Proofs a different one

Was the St Helena minted by Niue as well though? They are poor quality imo - at least mine are.

11 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

Hello Fehk2001,

I cannot find any gold Trade dollar restrikes... 

So maybe I am mistaken, but you if you already have one original gold trade dollar , GB Trade Dollar, you have a gem in hands

I ask you because there are only 6 gold trade dollar  listed in the world. The last ones were sold around 200000£ in auctions in 2014

if you have it you are a really lucky guy !

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Was the St Helena minted by Niue as well though? They are poor quality imo - at least mine are.

St Helena is St Helena, Niue is Niue. The question is does the "East India Company" also minted the St Helena BU

I only see the Proof  version (gold and silver) on their site.. Look at their proof gold price lol !!!

8 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

St Helena is St Helena, Niue is Niue. The question is does the "East India Company" also minted the St Helena BU

Maybe I was mistaken, I thought Niue were the mint on these...

To be clear then, which Mint were these different coins minted by?

40 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

For my information, If you could give me some links about all these  different modern Trade dollar restrikes that seem to exist,   I would be glad to find them

Most were licensed commemorative designs in 925 silver - but didnt feature the queen, instead a theme, like Gandhi or some colorised concept. You may find a few on eBay - but make sure you check for only the ones with a COA as majority were CuNi. 

Here is one that is a "1900" reissue https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-1900-HONG-KONG-SILVER-TRADE-DOLLAR-MODERN-REISSUE/192496099681?hash=item2cd1a96161:g:DBkAAOSwBiBavSSp No idea who produced it and seller says its silver, but ought to be tested. 

Here is a pair of 925 hello-goodbye coins that was recently sold - I would have bought them as curiosities but they went for more than I was willing to pay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-MINT-925-SILVER-PROOF-HELLO-amp-GOODBYE-HONG-KONG-PAIRS-1997-TRADE-DOLLARS-/332606390207

St Helena is the nominal nation for the bullion, Niue is the nation for the proof silver and gold (is there a gold bullion?).  "East India Company" is probably a trade mark, the designs being the same would suggest the same source commissioning the coins.  The mint doesn't seem to be published, though a german dealer has put "St Helena Mint" which seems unlikely.   The licensing of nation's name for coins is a mystery to me, it was noted in another thread that St Helena is unusual.  Perhaps the mint was behind the bullion if the original commission didn't want a bullion?

2 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Hello Fehk2001,

I cannot find any gold Trade dollar restrikes... 

So maybe I am mistaken, but you if you already have one original gold trade dollar , GB Trade Dollar, you have a gem in hands

I ask you because there are only 6 gold trade dollar  listed in the world. The last ones were sold around 200000£ in auctions in 2014

if you have it you are a really lucky guy !

https://www.lpm.hk/2018-1-oz-niue-british-trade-dollar-9999-gold-proof-restrike.html

gd trade dollar 

re strikes 

Just now, Frenchie said:

Ok, I made the confusion. So you bought the gold proof version right ?

nah, none of these cos I suspect there will be more and more and more copies as long as these are selling 

once I saw there is a gold version from different island I though , there must be more coming 

now east india trading ....... 

so I also suspect once the hype is over the premium will drop 

Archived