• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Exact weight of 2018 1oz Britannia

LittleJohnSilver

Trying to calibrate my new scales, and the calibration instructions aren't working.

Grams for a single Britannia read as 31.34 and troy ounces as 1.1

Get the same troy ounce reading on my existing food scales.

Are Brits exactly 1 troy ounce/31.104g's?

If so, I must have naff scales.

36 minutes ago, Silverhunter said:

Just try another coin if you have one toz doesn't change coin from coin only slight variations from coin to coin

Just went through and weighed every single one of the 15 Britannias I have.

Results as follows:

01 - 31.30g / 1.006 toz
02 - 31.36g / 1.009 toz
03 - 31.31g / 1.007 toz
04 - 31.38g / 1.009 toz
05 - 31.34g / 1.008 toz
06 - 31.36g / 1.008 toz
07 - 31.34g / 1.007 toz
08 - 31.33g / 1.007 toz
09 - 31.33g / 1.007 toz
10 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz
11 - 31.31g / 1.006 toz
12 - 31.29g / 1.006 toz
13 - 31.34g / 1.008 toz
14 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz
15 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz

Am I right in thinking that weights for any silver/gold coin or bar are never exactly spot on?

10 minutes ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

Am I right in thinking that weights for any silver/gold coin or bar are never exactly spot on?

Looks that way. But you would have thought that with modern presses and the like that coins would be exact. I guess if any came out under the specified weight you could send it back or start a fraud claim:) 

I suppose what I could do is get them returned to the ebay seller for a replacement, and if they come back with the same readings then I'll put it down to the coins being correct weight but scales (Chinese) not being calibrated enough.

I wrote to the Perth Mint about the exact same thing when I started out. All their coins (Kooks in this case) fluctuated slightly over to some degree. The reply came back that the stated weight was 'the minimum'. I think they err on the side of caution, and for the price of silver (atm) it's not worth their time, as long as they are not under.

I had the same reply from a small bullion dealer once they'd looked into it. A third opinion from Bullionbypost (a much bigger UK company, who I will never use again, but that's off-topic and unrelated here) was the same, but they said measuring at mints is very much more precisely done with gold (ofc!).

It might be worth checking the specifications of the trial of the pix. I imagine it's probably a bit like speedometers (Speedos have a tolerance for over estimating, but no tolerance for underestimating) so there's probably an allowance for how far over they're allowed to go but not allowed to go under

47 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

It might be worth checking the specifications of the trial of the pix. I imagine it's probably a bit like speedometers (Speedos have a tolerance for over estimating, but no tolerance for underestimating) so there's probably an allowance for how far over they're allowed to go but not allowed to go under

Trial of the pix?

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I wrote to the Perth Mint about the exact same thing when I started out. All their coins (Kooks in this case) fluctuated slightly over to some degree. The reply came back that the stated weight was 'the minimum'. I think they err on the side of caution, and for the price of silver (atm) it's not worth their time, as long as they are not under.

I had the same reply from a small bullion dealer once they'd looked into it. A third opinion from Bullionbypost (a much bigger UK company, who I will never use again, but that's off-topic and unrelated here) was the same, but they said measuring at mints is very much more precisely done with gold (ofc!).

That does actually sound more than likely to be the case. How much over were your Kooks?

34 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

I would use something simple to test the scales.

£2 coins are 12g and 50p coins are 8g.

HH

Are there any coins that are 5g or 10g?

4 hours ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

Just went through and weighed every single one of the 15 Britannias I have.

Results as follows:

01 - 31.30g / 1.006 toz
02 - 31.36g / 1.009 toz
03 - 31.31g / 1.007 toz
04 - 31.38g / 1.009 toz
05 - 31.34g / 1.008 toz
06 - 31.36g / 1.008 toz
07 - 31.34g / 1.007 toz
08 - 31.33g / 1.007 toz
09 - 31.33g / 1.007 toz
10 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz
11 - 31.31g / 1.006 toz
12 - 31.29g / 1.006 toz
13 - 31.34g / 1.008 toz
14 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz
15 - 31.37g / 1.009 toz

Well according to the specification provided by Perth Mint when a product is stated to contain 30 grams of precious metal, by law it shall contain no less than 30.01 grams of the precious metal. It could contain more than that amount (then the mint will be losing money) but would NEVER be less than 30.01 grams.

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

One mint's videos on Youtube says that they have a lower limit above a troy ounce that they use and they reject everything below that limit, melt those coins, and put them back through their minting process in the next batch.  The thinking is that being a little bit over a troy ounce is preferable to customer complains, accusations, and mythology later once the coins experience a bit of wear and lose some of their weight.  Of course, they don't go crazy with it, being over the weight does cost money, obviously.

7 hours ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

That does actually sound more than likely to be the case. How much over were your Kooks?

I don't remember exactly but within the kind of range you've listed (that was on 2016/17 Kooks) on calibrated scales.

28 minutes ago, LittleJohnSilver said:

£8!

My first set were £50+ Tanitas - excellent quality but at the time the models only measured to 0.1.

With my query over the Kooks (some of my first coins) I got a second set (including calibration weights 2 x 50g) for £8 or so (might be the same ones!). I got an extra calibration weight separately to double check those as well.

Once both scales were properly calibrated I got exactly the results I've already posted about. And the £8 set were/are as good as the Tanitas, except they measured to 0.01 so were more accurate.

No silver coin I have ever weighed has been the exact stated Mint weight - they are always a fraction over. If in doubt do the gravity test.

My first set were £50+ Tanitas - excellent quality but at the time the models only measured to 0.1.
With my query over the Kooks (some of my first coins) I got a second set (including calibration weights 2 x 50g) for £8 or so (might be the same ones!). I got an extra calibration weight separately to double check those as well.
Once both scales were properly calibrated I got exactly the results I've already posted about. And the £8 set were/are as good as the Tanitas, except they measured to 0.01 so were more accurate.
No silver coin I have ever weighed has been the exact stated Mint weight - they are always a fraction over. If in doubt do the gravity test.
Have you got a link to the £8 scales?

Archived