• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10th gold coins

Ally

I am interested in purchasing a 1/10 gold Britannia.  Really like the design.  Anyone know how these coins are supplied?  Seen a 2015 1/10th on eBay in Royal Mint sealed plastic.  Royal Mint website says they are supplied in a capsule.  Anyone been buying these each year know ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 20:06, RoughDog said:

I am interested in purchasing a 1/10 gold Britannia.  Really like the design.  Anyone know how these coins are supplied?  Seen a 2015 1/10th on eBay in Royal Mint sealed plastic.  Royal Mint website says they are supplied in a capsule.  Anyone been buying these each year know ?

Dealers receive them in sheets and then cut them from the sheet as they sell them.

Royal Mint Bullion place the coins into capsules for the end buyer.

10 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

The price of gold may have dropped, but the premiums of 1/10 have grown; not worth buying currently IMO

I agree with the above - premiums for these small coins are relatively high and although Atkinsons state free delivery, they have already built in a cost for SD so you are paying a lot for your gold. Work out the cost for 10 bought individually ( shipped under different orders ) then compare to the cost of a single 1 ounce.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree with the above - premiums for these small coins are relatively high and although Atkinsons state free delivery, they have already built in a cost for SD so you are paying a lot for your gold. Work out the cost for 10 bought individually ( shipped under different orders ) then compare to the cost of a single 1 ounce.

Anything under £250 I think the figure is , is sent by signed foe post only. So 2 1/10 coins in an order would not be sent SD. So altogether although the cost is high, the postage cost is not very significant. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree with the above - premiums for these small coins are relatively high

They are, if you buy from online dealers. I pick most mine up from members here and from jewellery quarter and rarely pay more than £100 at current spot prices. 

I picked up 6 krug 1/10 in the last month for under £100

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Drip buying ( from Atkinsons ) 1/10 compared to a full ounce assuming no changes in price over time -

You end up paying 12.6% more which is significant.
Even if you purchased 10 on a single order the premium is still 8.4%

Selling back you get paid say 98% of spot which is purely weight taking no account of denomination.

5ad328dac0b4b_ScreenShot2018-04-15at11_17_37.thumb.png.e0cb64016fe2383f8ed8750157e3e02d.png5ad328dfd3903_ScreenShot2018-04-15at11_21_42.thumb.png.c7942a0dfa7d4e2d1250922a820d5a58.png

Royal mint delivered £108.  Coin is in capsule which is always nice bonus   Including delivery is 14.45% premium.

Good deal on a coin this size if you ask me.

Quantity of 10 is £107.55 each.   £1075.50 an ounce. 

About £85 more for an ounce but greater flexibility when selling.  May or may not be significant when selling, depending on price of gold at time in the future and the method of sale.

1 hour ago, Provvidenza said:

@RoughDog you beat me too it :)

Personally I don't care about the premium, I'm not looking to sell in the short/medium term and in the long term I'll be dead, just ordered another two.

DSCN0001.thumb.JPG.bbd33cca1f3b9acd1cc1e0ffbfafdb71.JPG

I appreciate this sentiment, I think it’s fair to say that the majority of people are willing to pay a premium to get what they want, but I personally can’t justify 10-15% for small denominations anymore, in my experience it becomes unsustainable and uneconomical.

Though some premiums do carry forwards when reselling, i just hate the thought of getting ripped off!

4 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

They are, if you buy from online dealers. I pick most mine up from members here and from jewellery quarter and rarely pay more than £100 at current spot prices. 

I picked up 6 krug 1/10 in the last month for under £100

Jewellery quarter being Hatton Garden or somewhere else?  Often wonder if some of the online sellers will discount postage for over the counter trade, which would bring prices right down. 

2 hours ago, Martlet said:

Jewellery quarter being Hatton Garden or somewhere else?  Often wonder if some of the online sellers will discount postage for over the counter trade, which would bring prices right down. 

Birmingham. Am lucky enough to work near it... 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

2 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

I appreciate this sentiment, I think it’s fair to say that the majority of people are willing to pay a premium to get what they want, but I personally can’t justify 10-15% for small denominations anymore, in my experience it becomes unsustainable and uneconomical.

Though some premiums do carry forwards when reselling, i just hate the thought of getting ripped off!

Personally I don't think it is being ripped of.  Spot price is about £94.50 for 1/10th.  £108 delivered.  That is a flat rate of £13.50 for manufacture, capsule and delivery.

The one ounce coins are about £990 and spot is around £945.   Flat rate of £45 for manufacture, capsule and delivery.

12 hours ago, RoughDog said:

Personally I don't think it is being ripped of.  Spot price is about £94.50 for 1/10th.  £108 delivered.  That is a flat rate of £13.50 for manufacture, capsule and delivery.

The one ounce coins are about £990 and spot is around £945.   Flat rate of £45 for manufacture, capsule and delivery.

I'm certain that whilst the price of gold has dropped in the past few months, the price of 1/10s has marginally increased.

In my very limited experience as a new buyer, as was said above, if you’re careful you can get tenths for a touch over spot. I’ve recently got a tenth brit for £95 incl postage, which I’m happy with. 

However I draw the line at the huge premiums you get on things like the Libertads, which I’ve seen go for £150+. It just depends if you’re a stacker or collector i suppose? In my opinion you just have to find a price bracket you’re comfortable with and don’t be tempted to go beyond that, which is difficult due to the shiny nature of what we all buy!

Be careful buying from dealers. If buying fractional gold think about how you will sell before you buy from dealers on a monthly basis. If selling back to a dealer you will not recoup the large premiums which means much higher spot before you can get shot and strangles the upside of the investment.

If selling privately there isn't a guarantee that when spot rises premiums will be maintained. Spending so much percentage wise per ounce makes fractional gold a bit of a gamble and hassle to sell privately, or you give up some of the upside for liquidity selling to a dealer in the future. 

Buying monthly can be done as others have said but I would not go to a dealer unless I couldn't get low premium from elsewhere, they are a last resort. Certainly don't plan to buy from them monthly if wanting to invest in gold there must be better ways. All imo. 

Archived