• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay alternative for numismatic coins?

HeavyT

I normally buy from eBay, or sometimes direct from Royal Mint.

Just wondering about any good alternatives to eBay where there's a chance to pick up numismatic coins at a decent price?

I imagine there must be lots of coin-specific auction sites, so basically after recommendations of exemplar ones that forum members have had good experience with.

16 minutes ago, HeavyT said:

I'm mainly interested in British coins, particularly high grade Sovs.

funny you should say that:P

I'm not buying so many sovs these days as I have a few and there's not too many I'm chasing. Plenty of good sovs come up for auction at the usual places but also at the more provincial and obscure auction houses. Bit of a gamble these though.

Going back 5+ years, I did buy a fair few privately from guys I "met" via ebay, buying, bidding and contacting those who were reasonably local to me. It can be nice to meet up and buy face to face. It can be surprising what some people have or whose father has etc etc once you strike up a decent conversation.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

16 minutes ago, HeavyT said:

Thanks. Can you suggest some obscure/provincial auction houses that you've used?

Buying privately from reliable people sounds like an option.

Too many to mention, I've probably bought from a couple of dozen. Things change though, the shipping issue is a problem and these firms don't seem as willing to oblige so much lately. Just search for the coins you want and keep your eyes open. A lot of sovs for auction at smaller firms are tatt, you'll need to keep your eyes open and spot them in plenty of time to check the T&C and perhaps contact them to enquire about their attitude to postage. You can usually get a condition report and better photos if you enquire in plenty of time too. Over grading and poor photos are an occupational hazard I'm afraid but I've had some very good buys in the past.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

20 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Too many to mention, I've probably bought from a couple of dozen. Things change though, the shipping issue is a problem and these firms don't seem as willing to oblige so much lately. Just search for the coins you want and keep your eyes open. A lot of sovs for auction at smaller firms are tatt, you'll need to keep your eyes open and spot them in plenty of time to check the T&C and perhaps contact them to enquire about their attitude to postage. You can usually get a condition report and better photos if you enquire in plenty of time too. Over grading and poor photos are an occupational hazard I'm afraid but I've had some very good buys in the past.

another surprising source can be your local pawn brokers

they are usually overpriced,   BUT they price them all the same ,regardless of year. or even proof verses normal

i bought a proof half sov for the same price as a normal one.in the posh wooden box with coa

when i asked they said "we just price it as the computer tells us"!

presumably on weight alone. 

Archived