• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storing Silver -- Need Advice

JohnA

I keep my slabs in small plastic bags so they don't get scratched. Then in a large storage bag to keep different ones separate. British, USA, Perth Mint, etc. Then in my safe.

Loose coins I put in plastic capsules then in jeweler bags, large bag,  and then in safe.

Will the plastic bags react with the silver over time? Should I add some kind of dehumidifier canister?

IMG_20180329_0907348_rewind.jpg

IMG_20180329_0916070_rewind.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

You want guaranteed non-PVC bags, I would place anti-tarnish strips and dessicant packs inside each (I use the ones in a paper bag rather than the plastic kind you picture - cheaper and less 'plasticky' chemicals for the same effect).

Gold in slabs doesn't matter so much as it's much less reactive and ofc won't milk spot (as long as you don't store slabs somewhere silly, e.g. your pond!) - just take care of it. But for silver slabs I would go with airtight containers with the same - dessicant packs and anti-tarnish strips.

Hope that helps and always hoping to learn new methods :)

That's it John - the pack you've added in as the last pic in your post. They come in all sorts of sizes (as do the anti-tarnish strips) so it's really flexible for your storage :)

Anti-tarnish strips need to be changed out every year (so the instructions say - edit six months, oops) and desiccant packs can be re-used but you need to heat them up so the stored moisture is released and they become dry (and absorbent) again.

It depends what you are stacking but I've quite a few semi-numismatic silver coins myself that I of course hope will appreciate in premium, so I've recently acquired a vacuum packer for maximum peace of mind. The machines themselves are reasonable I think, but rolls are quite expensive compared to normal food bags, so it depends how far you want to go. I'll edit in a pic in a minute :)

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

That's it John  

Thanks...I guess the loose 1887 coins I want to tarnish. Maybe I should take them out? Some of them were graded "Cleaned" from ANACS so I removed them from slabs hoping over the years they will age better. Those coins are for posterity. 

Those are the 3M strips mate yes, they come much smaller too - sorry my mistake, they say change every six months but I may have read somewhere 12 months should be OK (or I may be mixing things up and be wrong!).

Here's a roll of Kook Privys I vacuum-packed yesterday, now ready to go into storage. The vacuum packing may be overkill, the anti-tarnish strip may be unnecessary, but imho these are 'very best conditions':

Kook roll.jpg

21 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Those are the 3M strips mate yes, they come much smaller too - sorry my mistake, they say change every six months but I may have read somewhere 12 months should be OK (or I may be mixing things up and be wrong!).

Here's a roll of Kook Privys I vacuum-packed yesterday, now ready to go into storage. The vacuum packing may be overkill, the anti-tarnish strip may be unnecessary, but imho these are 'very best conditions':

Kook roll.jpg

Neatly done mate. I checked on my brits yesterday and most had spotted so gave up and took them all out of the capsules and just keeping them in tubes now and if they spot they spot :)) 

25 minutes ago, JCRJM said:

Neatly done mate. I checked on my brits yesterday and most had spotted so gave up and took them all out of the capsules and just keeping them in tubes now and if they spot they spot :)) 

Cheers buddy! Only ever seen one spotted Kook it's very precautionary with those. It really is childs play with a decent vac machine, but you can mitigate lots of/almost all probs I think simply with air tight storage, dessicant packs, anti-tarnish (and probably most important, some common sense!). I haven't sold much yet but when I do I'd like to feel 100% confident the coins are still exactly as I received them.

Which Brits were those? I wouldn't bother sealing tubes of Brits myself (might as well store many of those in the pond lol) so some anti-tarnish and dessicant, both wrapped in acid-free tissue paper (to pad out the top and also stop them rattling) is 'good enough'. I have done my Orientals though as production looks better so fingers crossed on them because they're coins I really like. I'll also do my Somali Elephants as those tend to milk but they are just so lovely I'd like to try and prevent it if poss.

Orientals:

Vacuum sealed brit orientals.jpg

2 hours ago, JohnAnsink said:

Thanks...I guess the loose 1887 coins I want to tarnish. Maybe I should take them out? Some of them were graded "Cleaned" from ANACS so I removed them from slabs hoping over the years they will age better. Those coins are for posterity. 

Soz, missed this bud. Posterity coins are super full-stop imo (I guess by 'tarnish' you mean 'tone''?). I found some lovely dainty little silver spoons a few days ago that have naturally toned with rainbow colours all over them - stunning!

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

Cheers buddy! Only ever seen one spotted Kook it's very precautionary with those. It really is childs play with a decent vac machine, but you can mitigate lots of/almost all probs I think simply with air tight storage, dessicant packs, anti-tarnish (and probably most important, some common sense!). I haven't sold much yet but when I do I'd like to feel 100% confident the coins are still exactly as I received them.

Which Brits were those? I wouldn't bother sealing tubes of Brits myself (might as well store many of those in the pond lol) so some anti-tarnish and dessicant, both wrapped in acid-free tissue paper (to pad out the top and also stop them rattling) is 'good enough'. I have done my Orientals though as production looks better so fingers crossed on them because they're coins I really like. I'll also do my Somali Elephants as those tend to milk but they are just so lovely I'd like to try and prevent it if poss.

Orientals:

Vacuum sealed brit orientals.jpg

Ahh nice. Yeh just regular 2017 brits. I did have some of the 20th annviersary ones and i think they are the same as the oriental ones. Have a nice thick capsule and none of them ever spotted, that i had anyway. Now just treating the normal brits as weight and not trying to keep perfect. 

Right idea though trying to take every precaution because atleast if the brits spot its still stacking weight and not much premium. However, if a high premium coin spots it just ruins the fun of buying them at all.

18 minutes ago, JCRJM said:

Ahh nice. Yeh just regular 2017 brits. I did have some of the 20th annviersary ones and i think they are the same as the oriental ones. Have a nice thick capsule and none of them ever spotted, that i had anyway. Now just treating the normal brits as weight and not trying to keep perfect. 

Right idea though trying to take every precaution because atleast if the brits spot its still stacking weight and not much premium. However, if a high premium coin spots it just ruins the fun of buying them at all.

Yep the anniversary Brits are a higher standard like the Orientals, worth keeping as best you can - like you say good caps :)

'Regular' bullion Brits are just that - probably chuck them in the loo for six months or so and they will come out better than they went in LOL :P

6 hours ago, kimchi said:

Kook roll.jpg

That's a pretty cool idea.

Where did you get your vacuum sealer from? Any particular vacuum sheets you use?

How about a nerdy video showing the vac'ing in process?

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:07, LittleJohnSilver said:

That's a pretty cool idea.

Where did you get your vacuum sealer from? Any particular vacuum sheets you use?

How about a nerdy video showing the vac'ing in process?

I got mine second hand from a very kind chap on here :) It's an Andrew James model, sure Amazon do them,  the rolls of plastic too. Here's the nerdiest video I could find for ya lol:

I don't have alot of room,so the mint sealed rolls in that plastic is hard to store.If i did ever get a tube of normal brits etc,Think id just store them in the plastic tubes they come in.

everything else is in capsules with anti-tarnish things and what not.

11 minutes ago, blackadder said:

I don't have alot of room,so the mint sealed rolls in that plastic is hard to store.If i did ever get a tube of normal brits etc,Think id just store them in the plastic tubes they come in.

everything else is in capsules with anti-tarnish things and what not.

I don't find it takes more room to store if it's a roll anyway - the outer plastic can be wrapped around the roll surprisingly tightly (but then there is no air in there!) and fits back into OMP roll boxes fine (though I don't like those much and prefer other methods). The only reason I use extra plastic roll to seal is so that the bags can be re-used.

Anything that comes in tubes stays in tubes for me (until it comes time to sell or gift individual coins) but the Somali Elephants and the like I will vacpack along with the other measures. I wouldn't get a vac sealer just for those (cheap as chips bullion), but as I have it and they are notorious spotters and yet lovely coins I might as well :)

I'm sure it's overkill for a lot of coins, and for most decent ones OMP caps with dessicant and anti-tarnish in an airtight container is more thann fine :)

That's interesting, didn't know that - cheers! I may try to vacpack some loose (capsulated) coins together to see if I can achieve a neat Kook-like 'roll' - that would be perfect :) If so and I bought enough Royal Mint stuff I'd probably ditch the extra plastic and just go for caps in the vacpack :)

18 hours ago, blackadder said:

I take it you're going to cut open your rolls to replace the anti-tarnish strips after x amount of months?

No that was probably overkill on a first attempt. Kooks don't generally spot, I just have the kit so thought 'why not?' on these. After all I can reuse the bag the way I've done it.

Even notorious bullion Elephants I think/hope with vacuum pack won't spot. It's very much an experiment at this stage, but hard to see how one can do more to keep coins absolutely 'as new' and easy enough.

3 hours ago, blackadder said:

Yeah you can become abit OCD on it lol :lol:

This is why I said it takes a "special" kind of personality to collect proofs. :D

I could see, maybe, putting them in a sealed military ammunition box, but vacuum sealing with 3M anti-tarnish strips that you change every 3 months, really ? :D

I keep my semi-nums in some of those Lidl special aluminium cases under the bath:D

Just joking. I did store some old bullion under there once but then the wife made me finish off the bathroom and nail down the bath panels!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I keep my semi-nums in some of those Lidl special aluminium cases under the bath:D

Just joking. I did store some old bullion under there once but then the wife made me finish off the bathroom and nail down the bath panels!

Liquid assets ?

15 hours ago, Lowlow said:

This is why I said it takes a "special" kind of personality to collect proofs. :D

I could see, maybe, putting them in a sealed military ammunition box, but vacuum sealing with 3M anti-tarnish strips that you change every 3 months, really ? :D

Yeah the strip isn't needed for Kooks but it was a few pence and a minute's work testing the kit out. With nice coins that you don't want to spot (e.g. elephants are cheap bullion but I love them so want to stop them spotting) or Premium (can stop you losing most of your premium) it's worth it imo :)

Thinking about the 3M strips, they say change after 6 months. They probably don't do anything in a vacuum anyway but for a few pence I will bung them in with 'spotters' and just leave them for however long, it can't hurt.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Thinking about the 3M strips, they say change after 6 months. They probably don't do anything in a vacuum anyway but for a few pence I will bung them in with 'spotters' and just leave them for however long, it can't hurt.

I was just joking around kimchi :)  On the 3M thing, yeah, I bet it's like after you seal a container with desiccant, once it's sealed and it does its thing there's no use for it to keep doing its thing.

Archived