• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hey everyone. 

I have just ordered a silver melting kit. A crucible, torch, some heat bricks, some graphite molds, some delft clay with a few holders and some sterling silver (I decided to go for some cheaper silver to learn with before getting some fine silver). 

Instead of making bars or normal cast shapes I want to make some different things in the clay. I would love to get the skill level of @BackyardBullion at some point, but that might take some time (quite a lot of time). 

I think the first few things I'll make, or try to, will be a spinning top and an egg.

They should be quite easy to mold yet give me plenty of practice with my Dremel. I will be setting up a YouTube channel showing my process and progress to get as much help, advice and motivation to improve my limited skills in this art form.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great and helpful.

I hope to hear from people with things they'd like to see made out of silver.

Thanks people. I hope to hear from you soon. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff! Exactly what I did when I got started - except that I used 999 silver.

You will find sterling silver is quite different to 999 silver and it will pour very differently to the 999 that you see in my videos. Hopefully if you are making the small pieces it should be OK. You will also notice that the sterling silver will come out all black as the alloy oxidizes very quickly as it pours so there will be a lot of after work to get things looking shiny.

Look forward to seeing the results - what is your YouTube channel URL?

Oh, last thing - stay safe!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 minutes ago, BoredGit said:

Hey everyone. 

I have just ordered a silver melting kit. A crucible, torch, some heat bricks, some graphite molds, some delft clay with a few holders and some sterling silver (I decided to go for some cheaper silver to learn with before getting some fine silver). 

Instead of making bars or normal cast shapes I want to make some different things in the clay. I would love to get the skill level of @BackyardBullion at some point, but that might take some time (quite a lot of time). 

I think the first few things I'll make, or try to, will be a spinning top and an egg.

They should be quite easy to mold yet give me plenty of practice with my Dremel. I will be setting up a YouTube channel showing my process and progress to get as much help, advice and motivation to improve my limited skills in this art form.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great and helpful.

I hope to hear from people with things they'd like to see made out of silver.

Thanks people. I hope to hear from you soon. 

If you struggle with the sterling silver I can supply some 999 shot if you wanted

5 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Good stuff! Exactly what I did when I got started - except that I used 999 silver.

You will find sterling silver is quite different to 999 silver and it will pour very differently to the 999 that you see in my videos. Hopefully if you are making the small pieces it should be OK. You will also notice that the sterling silver will come out all black as the alloy oxidizes very quickly as it pours so there will be a lot of after work to get things looking shiny.

Look forward to seeing the results - what is your YouTube channel URL?

Oh, last thing - stay safe!

Thanks for your support. I haven't set up the channel yet. I should be in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. I forgot to say, I have also ordered gloves, apron and godless. Do you think a graphite rod would be worth getting?

I'll have a think about the 999 shot (I'll PM you if/when I run out of sterling and I haven't burned myself to badly by that point). I know I'll get through the 925 very quickly. I only got 200g. and with my eagerness I see that being used in the first day.

I'm really excited to get started. I've been wanting to do this for a few years but only now can I afford it. 

Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, BoredGit said:

Thanks for your support. I haven't set up the channel yet. I should be in the next few days. I'll keep you posted. I forgot to say, I have also ordered gloves, apron and godless. Do you think a graphite rod would be worth getting?

I'll have a think about the 999 shot (I'll PM you if/when I run out of sterling and I haven't burned myself to badly by that point). I know I'll get through the 925 very quickly. I only got 200g. and with my eagerness I see that being used in the first day.

I'm really excited to get started. I've been wanting to do this for a few years but only now can I afford it. 

Thanks again.

You will also need borax (sodium tetraborate)

Probably not going to need a graphite rod as you are working with small quantities.

1 minute ago, BoredGit said:

I've just set up the YouTube channel. Its called Cumbrian Crucible. 

I've now got something else to learn. Ive only uploaded about 10 in-edited videos over the past 9 years. 

What have I let myself in for?

Hyperlink?

30 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It's probably been done but how about a lucky horseshoe?

If you're a Monopoly player you could do the playing pieces?

Funny enough I have collected Sterling charms are a replacement to Monopoly pieces as a gift for one of my friends who loves the game. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I'd like to see a small version of a house brick made, roughly 3 or 4 oz in weight. I used to work for London Brick Company and would love to see a silver brick with 'London Brick' stamped inside the frog.

5 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Funny enough I have collected Sterling charms are a replacement to Monopoly pieces as a gift for one of my friends who loves the game. 

Ah yes of course! Very tricky little trinkets to pour I would think as well. Oh well, it was an idea!

16 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Ah yes of course! Very tricky little trinkets to pour I would think as well. Oh well, it was an idea!

I collect silly things sometimes. Been slowly collecting these to build a Swans vs Beasts chess set lol. Missing a few. Once I complete will mount and solder them onto small sterling cubes I have. 

CC6CF0C3-9602-4213-9153-0498C438A46A.jpeg

40C5BA13-6D7C-4D0E-B103-44C7D2EEA2E2.jpeg

792EED2F-D207-4D1D-B353-826D7CED3D8D.jpeg

41EDF333-8C80-4611-BA32-082BE12773F3.jpeg

E21A6A31-DFD0-46E9-B67C-FA9B02AA9295.jpeg

313919D0-E14C-419D-B14E-56BADBB0CDFA.jpeg

7CE53499-A21A-4F5B-986E-F6330716DFE5.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

WOW! It might be some time before I could do anything at that level! Not only do I have to learn all there is about silver and the melting and casting process, but I need to re-learn how to use my Dremel again.

I will defiantly have a go at some of the ideas posted on here. Thank you every one for your encouragement and ideas. 

I had some bad news today. The site I ordered my silver shot from sent me an email today. They said that even though they have taken payment they don't have any in stock at the moment. I am not going to name them, but they are one of the biggest UK silver and gold companies. They estimate it could be up to two weeks before they get any in. I decided to go for 999 silver in the end (thanks to @BackyardBullion for the advice and pointing me in that direction). I only ordered about 100g in the end.

I will keep you all up  to date with when things come and what I am doing. 

If anyone has any random tips they have picked up over the years I would gratefully receive them.

hopefully hear from you soon. 

45 minutes ago, BoredGit said:

WOW! It might be some time before I could do anything at that level! Not only do I have to learn all there is about silver and the melting and casting process, but I need to re-learn how to use my Dremel again.

I will defiantly have a go at some of the ideas posted on here. Thank you every one for your encouragement and ideas. 

I had some bad news today. The site I ordered my silver shot from sent me an email today. They said that even though they have taken payment they don't have any in stock at the moment. I am not going to name them, but they are one of the biggest UK silver and gold companies. They estimate it could be up to two weeks before they get any in. I decided to go for 999 silver in the end (thanks to @BackyardBullion for the advice and pointing me in that direction). I only ordered about 100g in the end.

I will keep you all up  to date with when things come and what I am doing. 

If anyone has any random tips they have picked up over the years I would gratefully receive them.

hopefully hear from you soon. 

My friend, I bet you I can beat the price you paid for silver shot - I am expecting that you bought from a UK company that charges VAT.

Shoot me a PM if you want some shot at better prices.

I will do, thank you. I've had another email saying they do have some. And yes, I did pay VAT. It was a drunk evening purchase. ?

Have you seen Hiho's Rolos? They are stunning! It's times like that a trade deal with the USA would great! 

Would you mind PM-Ing me with what you would want for 100g and 200g? I can only afford small amounts at a time unfortunately.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, BoredGit said:

Would you mind PM-Ing me with what you would want for 100g and 200g? I can only afford small amounts at a time unfortunately.

Just wanted to say I have bought shot from @BackyardBullion before,extremely reasonable price!

I would like Hobbit and Lord of the Rings coins or figures. If you can without getting a licence. I guess generic elves and dwarfs and dragons, etc You can make the 20 rings too.

Archived