• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Something to put your stack into perspective

mr-dead

When you look at your stack of gold and and think it looks fairly insignificant this graphic should put it in perspective and make you feel better:

Not sure how up to date it is as these days it seems most are more  likely to be $4k in debt than in credit :)

average-human.png

median is the example of the data collected that falls

right in the middle. it does exist and the median person

has 2 legs and 2 arms. a median person will always

exist in one data set, but may or may not exist across 2

or more data sets.

HH

there are 3 types of averages (mean, median and mode).

using the mean method of obtaining an average and then

saying 1.x is lower than 2.0 so all those people with 2.0

arms is not 'average' by that technical specification is

choosing to define something as being wrong and then

stating that it's wrong. obviously true(you already defined it).

but not very useful when collecting data.

HH

HH is right, median does have a member in the set, it isn't like calculating 2.3 children like mean.

When you say average, most people think you are taking a mean, and I would feel uncomfortable using the word average if median was a possibility, but HH is right technically both mean and median are averages.

If you took the height and weight of 50 people, what are the chances of the “mean average” person actually existing in that group ? Forget tecnicals. I am referring to the real  world, as in the jet fighter cockpit case earlier (the reason, by the way, I believe we have adjustable car seats).

From my understanding you always design something for a range of users. Example the car seat, you design for the 5th percentile because only designing for the 95th would have problems like the flying example. The car seat is adjustable because it needs to not only deal with the average person but the not-average people also. Just because you have designed for everyone doesnt mean there isnt an average person.

There will be a person every so often that walks in and buys a car which doesnt need the seat adjusted.

*I read through several times not sure if im off point, just letting you know*

50 people is a tiny sample size. getting the mean average of both

height and weight would be unlikely(although height affects weight).

it's like rolling a dice and expecting nothing else but 3's and 4's. how

many times can you keep on rolling a dice and it comes up with a

3 or a 4? it's not the average that's the problem, it's the flaw in

choosing the averages(especially mean average) and expecting the

outcome to conform. in the example 5-7 to 5-11, or ~69 inches with

a window of 4 inches or 4/69, ~6% window is far too small. they

incorrectly used the average of pilots across 10 different sets of data

with tight windows looking for the 'perfect average' pilot and wondered

why they got no exact hits. a lack of understanding of how averages

work.

HH

2 hours ago, Oldun said:

If you took the height and weight of 50 people, what are the chances of the “mean average” person actually existing in that group ? Forget tecnicals. I am referring to the real  world, as in the jet fighter cockpit case earlier (the reason, by the way, I believe we have adjustable car seats).

Depending on how precisely you measure, the chance approaches zero.

This really depends on the 50 people you select:

The average American is 1.71 long (5 feet 8 inch) and weights 82kg or 187 pounds.

The average human is 1.68 long (5 feet 7 inch) and weights 62kg or 137 pounds.

Then the time of measurements is also important because weight and length are not fixed:

1. During the day you obviously lose and gain weight, you could probably eat just enough to weight exactly average. 

2. Believe it or not but you also shrink during the day because of gravity compressing your spine. This can be more than half an inch. 

Then finally as mentioned above it all depends on how precise you want to measure (inches, cm, mm, atoms?)

Archived