• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver: Keep It Unopened Or Crack It Out And Let It Ring?

LittleJohnSilver

What's your views on keeping silver and gold coins/bars sealed in original packaging?

Do you prefer to keep them sealed to preserve condition with a view to increasing their value?

Or are you not fussed as silver is silver and it makes no difference to your end goals?

I think it just depends on what coin/bar you have in mind mate. 

With bars if it comes in an assay card I will leave it but if its just in a plastic cover ill remove it. 

With silver if its just bullion it doesn't matter to me. 

Bullion sovs I still put in capsules but a lot of people don't. 

For those coins that come in the blister packs (i.e. Rwandan), i've taken one out of pack and into a capsule that i can hold, look at.  Those blisters are textured so alter the appearance.  Rest remain in pack for someone in the future to make that decision.  I don't think i'd buy a bar in packaging or a coin in fancy presentation card.

I've got three tubes of 1/4 oz Armenian Noah's ark coins and opened one to find the first few tarnished. They're supposed to have some sort of gas put into them to keep the coins from tarnishing when sealed at the mint.

I'll say this, when you sell silver bullion rounds, nobody cares what it looks like.  They aren't going to give you a 0.01$us/oz more for them being "pretty", even if they are sealed in individual containers.  You MAY be able to get a premium for an Englehard, but even that is unlikely at a dealer, and I routinely see dealers selling Englehards at the same price as Christmas rounds, etc, because they just don't care what is stamped on the round or what it looks like.  As a buyer, I also don't care, for the most part, though I will pick out Englehard or an "official mint" style rounds over a Christmas or other gimmicky looking round because I personally prefer them (i.e. not because I think they have better resale value).  Silver bullion is basically about how much the silver weighs with a small premium for having them stamped with an image that includes weights and purity.

• 1 month later...

Archived