• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Because they are in NGC holders it is very difficult to get a photo, but I was looking at some of my British 2 Pound non-PM coins I have and I noticed the edge lettering on the coins usually faces down away from the Queen's bust. I have a WWI Aviation coin from an annual coin set slabbed in an NGC holder that has the edge lettering facing up towards the Queen's bust. 

To put it another way, on the standard coins when the Queen's head is facing me and I tilt the coin to look at the edge lettering it is readable. The coin in question in this same position shows the letters upside down. The inscription is "The Sky Rained Heroes".

Does anyone else have errors like this? The NGC label doesn't show it as an error coin, but I think maybe whoever sent it in for grading didn't realize it was an error themselves.

I've seen a few comments online about some coins having edge lettering upside down, but couldn't find any information on this particular coin. In the picture below one can see the EROES of the word HEROES clearly facing the Queen's head side of the coin, which is not the way the other coins have the letters oriented.IMG_20180321_140942367.thumb.jpg.5e356517e14b880e6425800ef32bf63c.jpg

18 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

This is not an error although eBay some seller selling as an error 

Is it common to see the lettering different ways then? I don't see any of the other 2pnd coins I have with this same orientation...

17 hours ago, daz said:

I think on two quids and quids the writing can be either way up ,  don't think it's a error.

I've read some things online that it is an error and also have seen the eBay posts selling some as errors. Is it common to see the letters oriented either way?

Yes it's common , always take eBay descriptions with a pinch of salt . Sellers will put anything to catch the unwary . Look at the new one pounds where people were punching out the middle reversing it and selling as errors.

It only takes one seller to list as a error then everyone thinks they they have got something worth a mint and also start listing as a error when they are nothing of the sort

6 hours ago, daz said:

@NewMSmatist15 just checked 30 two pound coins i have in my change jar , of those 30  - 17 had the writing the "wrong" way up

K7hG1C4QqrDnbrQHSD3mWYCUZNdgh6yzPH8bUgC0

Wow, great to know! I'm a US based collector so it's a bit harder to verify something as simple as this. I guess those eBay listings are more than a little disingenuous!

Archived