• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Kman

Avoiding Jury Service? (UK)

My mum got a letter yesterday summoning her to be jury member

She suffers quite badly from an anxiety issue which would make it pretty impossible for her to sit in court for 10 days, let alone concentrate while doing so

She isn't clinically diagnosed with anything or officially classed with a disability though

I told her she should probably just reply honestly to the letter and tell them about her issues and why she wouldn't be suitable; maybe she would need to get a note from the doctor

She said she would rather pay a fine than be forced to attend court 

Anyone got any experience with getting out of jury service due to anxiety disorders?

Edited by Kman

Just tell them she sometimes suffers from "cloudy headedness" and that she does not consider herself to be fit for jury duty and they should take her off the list.

Edited by Scuzzle

Does she work?  If going to the Drs, telling the doctor that your mother has medical problems may cause your mum to lose her job then just fill the form in. Otherwise go to the Drs then fill the form in.

Jury service is harder to get out of now compared to years ago and indeed the courts go out of their way to accommodate members of the public. In fact the courts want a wide range of the public not just the middle class but also the poor, disabled, sick, rich and business class too.     

This is a bit of a back door method. I had jury service but took a form of ID which was expired (driving licence) they let me through but they didnt call me up for any court case. Normally they bring in more people then needed and at the end of the day I was told there was no need for me to come any more and im certain my ID had something to do with it.

Also, if she really feels as if she cant do it, the judge will ask the selected jurors to declare any reason they should not be on the jury before the trial starts. I was on a jury many years ago and a girl raised her hand and asked to be dismissed as she had exams coming up in a few weeks and didnt want to miss studying time. The judge very willingly let her go and replaced her with another person. Its simply your duty to show up to the selection, its unlikely that your mum would be forced to remain on a jury if she explains that she does not feel able to be useful to the process.

13 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Its simply your duty to show up to the selection,

I'm not sure if she will be able to go to be dismissed is the problem, really needs to dealt with beforehand

It's sad because she's already very stressed because of it

@Pipers she doesn't work no

i had a couple of these in the past. i excused myself for work reasons - now i wish i had gone. i wish i was on permanent jury duty, what fun i would have.

You are ineligible if you have a 'mental disorder.' All she needs to do is go to her GP and tell the doctor her issues - from what you say she has a 'mental disorder'. He/she can write a letter to say your mum suffers from a mental disorder - it does not need to be anymore explicit than that. This will make her ineligible.

Edited by sixgun

51 minutes ago, Kman said:

I'm not sure if she will be able to go to be dismissed is the problem, really needs to dealt with beforehand

If she declares herself unfit for service I believe the court can't appoint her, however like you say best to sort it out now.

51 minutes ago, Kman said:

Get her to her GP as soon as, mate.  Not just to avoid jury service, but in her own health interest.

9 minutes ago, reidpj said:

Get her to her GP as soon as, mate.  Not just to avoid jury service, but in her own health interest.

She is alright, just has IBS related to anxiety, kind of agoraphobia I guess in that situations where excusing yourself to go to the bathroom would be an issue 

Edited by Kman

11 minutes ago, Kman said:

She is alright, just has IBS related to anxiety, kind of agoraphobia I guess in that situations where excusing yourself to go to the bathroom would be an issue 

She's not fit to serve. However unless she is going to claim benefits (which she sounds perfectly entitled to, actually) I wouldn't get a 'mental health disorder' declaration from her GP because it'll be on her medical records and unless that is helpful in some other way (would she perhaps benefit from some NHS mental health support - if there is much left in your area?), a sicknote for e.g. stress-related IBS will be enough.

Edited by kimchi

@kimchii cannot see how IBS is a reason to claim benefits. She will not get anything. IBS is quite common.

We do not know she is not fit to serve. We know what Kman has said but having said that i would not be concerned about the doctor writing a letter to say she has medical conditions that are likely to be made worse by jury service. That she could need to use the toilet on a frequent basis. They will exempt her immediately - they cannot deal with people who have this issue. The trial would have to be stop each time she went to the lav.

A letter to say she has a mental disorder is unlikely to be a issue. What in specific do you think this is going to bar her from doing in future?

@KmanIn all seriousness start researching the effect on the gut flora (gut bugs) on health. This is an expanding area. Our health is very much dependent on our interaction with the bugs in our bowel. The gut flora make many neuro-transmitters, so depending on how much and what variety they are producing you can be anxious, depressed, confident, happy. There is evidence for the gut flora contributing to autistic traits - a fantastic area of research.

Edited by sixgun

18 minutes ago, sixgun said:

@kimchii cannot see how IBS is a reason to claim benefits. She will not get anything. IBS is quite common.

I didn't say anything about claiming benefits for IBS, I said stress-related IBS is enough reason to get a sicknote from the doctor saying she is unable to perform jury service, which is all she needs.

If she'd like to access mental health services or claim benefits then I would get that diagnosis, otherwise there's no need to go to the extra trouble of having a mental health condition diagnosed.

Edited by kimchi

1 hour ago, StackerNoob said:

Its simply your duty to show up to the selection

• Henna ACAB tattoos on each hand
  • "9-11 was an inside job" t-shirt
  • Union jack trousers,
  • EDL pin badge
  • David Icke book under your arm for reading

might increase your chances of not being selected and being swiftly sent home.  Those free thinking coincidence theorists

41 minutes ago, Paul said:
  • Henna ACAB tattoos on each hand
  • "9-11 was an inside job" t-shirt
  • Union jack trousers,
  • EDL pin badge
  • David Icke book under your arm for reading

might increase your chances of not being selected and being swiftly sent home.  Those free thinking coincidence theorists

might cross the line too far into being involuntary sectioned lol 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

She is alright, just has IBS related to anxiety, kind of agoraphobia.....

To which you replied

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

She's not fit to serve. However unless she is going to claim benefits (which she sounds perfectly entitled to.....

i would contact the Jury Service Customer services.

PO Box 256 Londonderry

Phone: 0300 200 7812

Email: customerservicecentre@courtsni.gov.uk

Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

Say she has been summonsed (this actually means invited) for jury service. She has medical problems which would likely interrupt the court proceedings. How does she go about being declared ineligible.

When i put someone else's quote up

2 hours ago, Kman said:

and then make a comment in relation to it, that usually means i am replying to that comment and not the whole thread.

You know i am a nitpicker.

Edited by sixgun

well for years I thought I was ineligible for jury service having a criminal record  but according to the link mick b posted I was wrong :o, bummer

dean.m:D

Edited by Augustus1

Just got a phone call from my mum to tell me she got a letter today to say she had been excused from jury service on this occasion

She didn't need a doctors note or anything, just gave her reasons in the initial letter 

She sounded very relieved, which is a big relief to me too 

A friend of mine was excused jury service stating she was not prepared to drive the 20  miles to court in Winter when the country roads would be icy.
She said she would attend if they provided a taxi as there was no suitable public transport.

I've been called three times in two different countries - lucky me!. Breast feeding got me out of one.  Although in the second I had briefly met the defendant as I knew his wife,  (nasty case involving children) I was about the place my hand on the bible when 'Objection' rang out and I sighed relief. The third time the Court was next door to where I worked and I was obliged by the nature of my work to attend, willingly or not. Fortunately, I got dismissed.

For those suffering anxiety, IBS,  and agoraphobia just be no question of being excused. Glad it worked out for your mum.