• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice for a total beginner in stocks / shares

Looks sensible, although I'm not sure *all* of your post-pension investments should be in S&S ISAs (first pale blue box in the bottom right corner).
No, I'd agree.... Not sure whoever had written the document had found "the silver forum" yet. [emoji23]
Looks sensible, although I'm not sure *all* of your post-pension investments should be in S&S ISAs (first pale blue box in the bottom right corner).
No, I'd agree.... Not sure whoever had written the document had found "the silver forum" yet. [emoji23]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bit late in contributing to this one but thought I'd chip in @Bullionstu.

I'm in a very similar boat, mid thirties and looking at putting some funds into something other than PM's and cash. I've opened a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdowne (other companies probably offer similar options). I've set up a direct debit to put some in every month and I'm currently picking which funds to go for. The ISA bit means there's no tax on gains from it and it seems like a relatively user-friendly way to get started while figuring stuff out.

Also it looks like some of the funds are for international markets which is good for diversifying beyond just the UK or USA (I'm looking at this as s hedge against a no deal Brexit).

• 3 months later...

Food for thought...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4215998-next-bear-will-bad?page=5

Stock investing is not as easy as it has seemed in recent years. It is also important to remember the following almost always overlooked reality that underlies the U.S. stock market. Remove 21 years from stock market history – the 16-year period from 1950 to 1965 when the U.S. was the unrivaled economic superpower of the free world as the rest of the planet rebuilt itself from World War II, and the 5-year period from 1995 to 1999 during the manic rise of the tech bubble, and the U.S. stock market has provided investors with a real annualized rate of return of less than 2%.

Demographics have driven the stock and bond market all of those people paying into those pensions every month for decades, biggest block of population. When they all retire it will be buyers market/stock market crash. I have heard it said that 2009 was the start of it, first wave of retirees, banks have been propping the markets up ever since.

Archived