• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

44 minutes ago, StevenDS said:

You got any Belgians in your collection or do you prioritize getting your French collection complete?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I am being very careful not to start another collecting ‘project’ before I have completed the ones I have already started. So...I am still looking for a few 1oz Kookaburra Privy coins, and one is going to be difficult to obtain...the 1993 Eagle has a Mintage of 500 and most are held in tight hands.

On the French front, just 1 rooster required (1900) which is easy to obtain, but I am trying to avoid French dealer high prices.

I am also short of about 7 or 8 Guardian Angels. When I have secured a few more of these, then I will give some serious thought as to what to collect next.

What I don’t want to do is start collecting a particular coin, only to find out later that one is incredibly rare, thus preventing me from completing my collection. For this reason, I would find it hard to collect sovereigns...the 1937 Edward V111 Proof could never be obtained, along with several other rarities..there are also financial constraints to be considered..

With the above in mind, I will be doing a fair bit of research before I take the plunge..and hopefully find a coin series which is interesting, obtainable and hopefully inexpensive!

All applications will be given due consideration...including the Belgians...of which I currently own none!

On 19/01/2019 at 22:22, Lea79 said:

Hi kookaburracollector 😃 Those are lovley.  I’m happy with my two and I’m not looking to get anymore at present.  They are a nice little addition to the 20 franc collection. I quite like the leather ones.  Difficult to get in good condition tho. I hope you win them.

Just watched the auction end on the etui Porte Louis (seller in France) and decided not to bid on them..On closer inspection I noticed the lid on the brass one did not fit, so had probably been cross threaded at some time. The blue one had no internal mechanism, so only the red one was probably ok...no mention of this in the description either!!

Having recently got a full refund from a French main dealer (PM me if you want to know who) for selling a coin with concealed damage I decided to pass on this one. Probably the right decision. Think I’ll give the French a miss for a while...

82EB609C-AB8C-40DA-A9E1-0332B1E785E7.jpeg.f5f64de5c271be258d2892cfc9359ac9.jpeg

They sold for €61 inc postage...

ps

I am impatientently waiting for the next instalment of the WW1 thread @augur

The two tubes I bought were much cheaper than that and came from Norway.  Sounds like a good choice to not proceed.  I think you just have to keep your eyes open for good ones.  

Well I acquired my first rooster and Napoleon 3 to go with my Umberto. 

Took the plunge when spit went to 970 for a brief while and grabbed them from HGM. Not bad for 3% over and gorgeous coins. 

Anyone got a bead on reasonably priced coins from the LMU range let me know. These look like they will be fun to collect. 

BEA1B023-2F0F-4513-A17B-82F45B187474.jpeg

40DECA55-6D7B-4C8F-B24B-0995CA6617A5.jpeg

6218B8E7-2C8F-463C-A1EF-8536B7203B54.jpeg

58787750-B56E-49DF-8A4B-F4358060BC20.jpeg

424867E0-C5C2-4F8D-A6CC-7E72BC626672.jpeg

7AB5C714-1877-4C96-84C3-ABFD0ADF6488.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

@ilovesilverireallydo That rooster looks to be in great condition, as do the other coins you picked up. At a price I rarely ever seem to be able to buy at...

I have ordered, and paid for a coin today, but it isn’t a 20 francs coin..’.I can resist everything except temptation ‘and boy I have been tempted ...A 1oz Reverse Proof gold Libertad is heading my way sometime soon hopefully...just had to have one..you know how it is!

Coin budget blown to pieces for quite some time unfortunately, so might see me heading to the For Sale section some time soon. Got a few spare 1oz gold Eagles, Britannia’s and buffalos which are in reserve...

Always hope at the start of the month for a premium bonds win so might hold on a week or so...let’s not be hasty in parting with our coins..

Will of course, raid the kids piggy banks if the right 20 francs coins turn up so let’s all keep looking...

Do they ever crop up at the London Coin Fair?..I go to the Midlands one frequently, but very few to be seen there..

Good hunting...

2 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Was hard to find so would rather swap for one that’s hard to find also

I bet it was.  Unfortunately I haven’t got any 20 franc doublers.  I only have 1 full sov and that’s a graded vicky shield (I sold the rest as have lost interest).  I’ve got all the alternate design half proofs and lots of other half’s, vickies, iom and a Cyprus half that is unusual and low mintage.  I’ve got a 2008 graded 1/4 Brit, graded ducat 2017 anniversary, Indian head $10 and $5 and a half guinea? 

1 minute ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@ilovesilverireallydo That rooster looks to be in great condition, as do the other coins you picked up. At a price I rarely ever seem to be able to buy at...

I have ordered, and paid for a coin today, but it isn’t a 20 francs coin..’.I can resist everything except temptation ‘and boy I have been tempted ...A 1oz Reverse Proof gold Libertad is heading my way sometime soon hopefully...just had to have one..you know how it is!

Coin budget blown to pieces for quite some time unfortunately, so might see me heading to the For Sale section some time soon. Got a few spare 1oz gold Eagles, Britannia’s and buffalos which are in reserve...

Always hope at the start of the month for a premium bonds win so might hold on a week or so...let’s not be hasty in parting with our coins..

Will of course, raid the kids piggy banks if the right 20 francs coins turn up so let’s all keep looking...

Do they ever crop up at the London Coin Fair?..I go to the Midlands one frequently, but very few to be seen there..

Good hunting...

He he he. I rarely have that kind of money especially for the 1 ozzers. Had an interesting month, probably went overboard with the purchases to be honest. Sold an old car, had less self assessment to pay than I thought and got rid of a lot of random silver bits I have collected over the years. 

My gold stack is tiny, although this month certainly added some weight to it. I have however decided not to go crazy and buy just anything, am trying to keep a health stack of fractionals as they hold premium, sovs and half sovs for the bulk and then coins like these as they are the ones that interest me the most. 

Never made it to any coin fair, but do want to hit the Midlands one soon seeing that I spend a lot of time in Birmingham. 

Those libs are deadly, gold fractional libs are on my list. I sadly like to handle my coins so don’t buy proofs 😂 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Just now, Lea79 said:

I bet it was.  Unfortunately I haven’t got any 20 franc doublers.  I only have 1 full sov and that’s a graded vicky shield (I sold the rest as have lost interest).  I’ve got all the alternate design half proofs and lots of other half’s, vickies, iom and a Cyprus half that is unusual and low mintage.  I’ve got a 2008 graded 1/4 Brit, graded ducat 2017 anniversary, Indian head $10 and $5 and a half guinea? 

That cypress half is gorgeous, and hard to come buy. We traded that right? Back then I didn’t collect AU, but it’s a good coin to have, very few about. 

@ilovesilverireallydo I sold an old car a couple of years ago which gave me the funds to start collecting. My proof purchase will definitely be a one off and I am already having grave concerns about how to look after it. Could you suggest a particular type of capsule.I really will need to look after this one properly..

7 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

I’ll have a look to make sure I do have a spare then be in touch

6 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@ilovesilverireallydo I sold an old car a couple of years ago which gave me the funds to start collecting. My proof purchase will definitely be a one off and I am already having grave concerns about how to look after it. Could you suggest a particular type of capsule.I really will need to look after this one properly..

If it’s a proof, won’t it come in a cap? Airtites are the best, and get a pair of cotton gloves! And if you are anywhere near as clumsy as I am, always have a pillow below the coin! I once dinged a gorgeous shield sov by dropping it ;(