• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

3 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

That’s not a run 🏃‍♀️..it’s a step!...but a step in the right direction!

Looks like a nice coin bought at a price I have never managed to buy at...you been to HGM?

I got lucky!  I only got it cheaper because eBay randomly gave me a £10 voucher so I asked a seller to relist it in the collectibles category ;) 

I think I may have looked at it, If was on at £199!.A few at the same price from the same seller!

Tried to buy a 20 francs coin of a dealer in Israel (Ebay) this week...he was open to offers, so I offered 5% below asking price and he refused!! Some people!! Anyway, I’m still playing with my Gruffalos...!

1 hour ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I think I may have looked at it, If was on at £199!.A few at the same price from the same seller!

Tried to buy a 20 francs coin of a dealer in Israel (Ebay) this week...he was open to offers, so I offered 5% below asking price and he refused!! Some people!! Anyway, I’m still playing with my Gruffalos...!

Some people build in more room for negociation than others. I've got some tipps for you guys how to buy coins cheap from ebay. Have  a look at this link:

@whuamai Hi watched the video and all makes good sense..My first offer was not 5%, it was 10%..which is usually accepted. Why anyone would use ‘Make an offer’ and not accept 95% of asking price defeats me..as a result of this I will NEVER buy from this seller so he/she loses out twice..plenty of other sellers out there! You only get one chance to make a first impression, and this seller blew it!

Point 4 on the video I have used a few times..I.e. contacting the seller via email...it took me ages to defeat the eBay algorithm software to get my email address through!

The problem with going outside eBay is you lose all security and insurance should things go wrong..at the end of the day, I don’t mind paying them for the service they provide..and on small amounts I would rather avoid the extra hassle.

I think I will just ask @Goldhooked to do all my shopping for me at 3% above spot in future..plus a beer commission of course!

Edited by Kookaburracollector

Sellers are taking a real risk of getting their accounts suspended if dealing outside of eBay. If you’ve got their external email then it’s no problem but using the eBay messaging system to ask them to contact you by email is risky.  I’ve been a business seller on eBay for 10 years (not precious metals) and if someone asked me via an eBay message to contact them by email I would politely refuse.  It’s not worth losing my account and ebays filters are much better at picking this stuff up from the message system.

3 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Sellers are taking a real risk of getting their accounts suspended if dealing outside of eBay. If you’ve got their external email then it’s no problem but using the eBay messaging system to ask them to contact you by email is risky.  I’ve been a business seller on eBay for 10 years (not precious metals) and if someone asked me via an eBay message to contact them by email I would politely refuse.  It’s not worth losing my account and ebays filters are much better at picking this stuff up from the message system.

I almost agree. The risk is on the account who tries to avaiod the filters, so if you as buyer manage to send your email adress, ebay cant proove that you have used that info to contact him outside. Ofcourse it's best do find out dealers email or phone number without messaging via ebay. For me both ways worked plenty of times ;)

Just now, whuamai said:

I almost agree. The risk is on the account who tries to avaiod the filters, so if you as buyer manage to send your email adress, ebay cant proove that you have used that info to contact him outside. Ofcourse it's best do find out dealers email or phone number without messaging via ebay. For me both ways worked plenty of times ;)

Even if a buyer got their email address through to me I would be paranoid it was an eBay undercover agent :D 

On UK listings if it’s a business seller, you just have to scroll down to the seller details and the phone number and external email address are visible anyway.  I don’t think a lot of buyers realise this.

5 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Even if a buyer got their email address through to me I would be paranoid it was an eBay undercover agent :D 

On UK listings if it’s a business seller, you just have to scroll down to the seller details and the phone number and external email address are visible anyway.  I don’t think a lot of buyers realise this.

You are soo right with your second sentence!

8 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I just love this thread...that is another amazing coin I have never seen before....all going well, I should receive another LMU Coin this week..come on colisimo,!!!1879 Barred anchor angel on its way...

Looks like you are awaiting a shipment from France :) I also really love this thread and the lmu's. 

The Angels are really nice. 

Here 2 angels, one with anchre Barre and one with simple. The difference can only be seen under a strong magnifying glass. 

IMG_20190307_095217.jpg

IMG_20190307_095158.jpg

WOW thats a nice date set. On the first look the coin at the position of the 1905 looked like a 1903 but by enlarging it I could recognize it's a 5.

I also have a few but didn't set myself the goal to complete them. Might do that some day, but only until 1907 ;)

How about starting a date set of the 10 Francs Rooster now that you have the 20's complete ;) ?

Edited by whuamai

52 minutes ago, whuamai said:

WOW thats a nice date set. On the first look the coin at the position of the 1905 looked like a 1903 but by enlarging it I could recognize it's a 5.

I also have a few but didn't set myself the goal to complete them. Might do that some day, but only until 1907 ;)

How about starting a date set of the 10 Francs Rooster now that you have the 20's complete ;) ?

Hi, I know what you mean about the 1905..I had a moment’  when organising the coins as it did look like a 1903, rest assured it is not..

554CDF0B-674C-459F-999F-29D4F2FA0CDC.thumb.jpeg.87524328c2e85791bdcaea8fc2a65fa8.jpeg

If anyone is interested in coin photography, I picked a nice little piece of kit up last week for less than £30..(Amazon)  not Leica quality, but works well enough for me.

B130BC2C-C055-4BE6-832B-1BDA45C3186D.thumb.jpeg.5a6487ee2741bd6f82740c363d1fdb07.jpeg

No more roosters for a while...I need to track down lots of angels first.

Edited by Kookaburracollector