• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

Interesting... The dealer that I bought at lists it's coins as bankenüblicher Zustand, but as far as I know that is no formal grading but more of an artificial construct. The same dealer does however have a numismatic shop, so I would guess all these coins will be filterted through their numismatists before reaching the counter. I would not think to find any real rare dates, for example. I however did also never see a really mangled coin as well, neither with LMU nor with Goldmark. I think they sort out the worst pieces after buying and only sell a minimum standard, which is rather high - pricewise as well.

I do not have Vrenelis here at the moment, but will circulate these in the next time I am at my "vault". Most of those are from other sources.

On 09/02/2019 at 09:50, eddi said:

Thats good  Rosters  tick.😉 A was thinking of getting  one 1900 or 1899 .  A  found one  for around 250 pound .

Kookaburracollect was yours higher   Just trying to figure out  if its right  premium  A sow them for around 300 pound on ebay 

@eddi

hi, If I didn’t already have one I might be interested in this 1899. He /she is the person I  bought my 1900 from. Not arrived yet so cannot vouch for quality etc but this coin looks good.

Have a look and see what you think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/top-qualite-20-francs-or-1899-gold-/132946104679

Yes a think its decent price. A have 1900 for a bit less than this one but 1899 is what am after .I will think about it .Just bought few 10 francs  to sit with the 20 francs .

A have to contact  my dealers see what they have  so I can decide accordingly😉

Thanks to this thread I discovered the wonderful world of LMU coins and got myself a few. Since I'm just but a noob, can someone more experienced share a piece of advice?

Note: I'm stacking mostly for gold content, so buying only bullion grade coins, but I do want to keep it interesting by seeking variety etc.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to get this coin for almost spot (219 €) from a LCS. It is worn (advertised as 6.41 gram) but by the pictures it seems in a decent enough condition and it's the only year this particular variety was minted. I haven't yet got the chance to check it out in person. I will go by them this week to have a look.

By everything stated above, what do you think of this coin? Would you buy it?

gnb1.jpg.2950d05615c960dd198dace2d9649b90.jpggnb2.jpg.5f9d0887a95a8539701bfa19641addc8.jpg

Thanks!

@mezmer1411 Don’t ask me if I would buy a coin..I’m buying everything I see at the moment, I think I’ve gone mad.(I bought a coin at 0400 in the morning yesterday!!) If the coin is at spot, and you like it, then buy it...there is very little downside.

Enjoy the purchase..

4 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I’ve got a bone to pick with you lot!  Look what you’ve made me do...

My first.  It’s bloody lovely and I want more now :D

So much more interesting than sovereigns, although I will continue to collect those too.

Careful what you say about sovereigns...they’re a touchy crowd!! (You are of course right in what you say!😃)

Very nice looking coin, hopefully you will pick up some more soon.

All going well I should be posting a pic on Friday of my new Rooster.fingers crossed.

Just an update to my restoration attempt:

IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.d96b693667a0a1ac174d309e5db998ab.JPG

Left the demucked 1855 (II over H) Sardinia 20 Lire and right the 1891 (1 over 1) Italy 20 Lire. Overall colour is getting closer to the untouched coin.

IMG_0253.thumb.JPG.020b3566febf82246fb85a80adc39402.JPG

The obverse is more obvious but the 1891 has a more matte finish so that one should rather take the reverse as a reference when comparing the outcome. 

@eddi well it’s arrived and is an absolute beauty! it’s on ‘today i received’ but will post on here as well.What the rushed photos do not show is that the coin still has its full lustre on both sides!

Not looked at the seller today but can do if you are still interested in the 1899. You have till sunrise because if it’s as good as this I’m buying for myself 😂 remi9647

@Goldhooked same applies to you matey!..you know you need another!

AEDFDBD4-1B1C-4BC5-9233-5A44E20179C6.thumb.jpeg.40dddf7288a6e77b4c9380e5847fae6e.jpeg

47908A01-93A5-4E1A-98B6-31EC04D42C42.thumb.jpeg.31673afa29d7ed6d53abc8a1aedd52f3.jpeg

Roosters 1899-1914 now completed..😂😂😂..I enjoyed collecting these..

Edited by Kookaburracollector

1 minute ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Not looked at the seller today but can do if you are still interested in the 1899. You have till sunrise because if it’s as good as this I’m buying for myself 😂 remi9647

@Goldhooked same applies to you matey!..you know you need another!

Great looking Rooster you have there!

Thanks for the thought.  Although you are absolutely correct in that I need another, as more of a stacker than a collector (AKA tight b*stard) I couldn't bring myself to pay that much of a premium.

22 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Great looking Rooster you have there!

Thanks for the thought.  Although you are absolutely correct in that I need another, as more of a stacker than a collector (AKA tight b*stard) I couldn't bring myself to pay that much of a premium.

There’s non tighter than me..I blow the pilot light out in the boiler when I’m not using it lol!..but the coin budget is from a different side of my brain!

I stack, and I collect numismatic..multiple personality or something like that..I’m sure @augur could offer an unwelcome diagnosis ( hope your day is going well!)

Happy stacking Goldhooked.

Uu thats a beauty . Full set haa. the only full set a have is 50 p beatrix potter🤣🤣.

About the 1899 rooster I think I  pass it  this time  ,a bought   another premium  lmu coin  a show in minute 

augur   

Nice cleaning coin    I have to try it

Just bought my first 20 Franc (is it Franc or Francs?) coin on ebay, and patiently awaiting its arrival.  I opted for a 1857 Napoleon III, which I consider to be one of the more boring designs however the price was right and I was drawn to the historical charm of it's 162 year age.

59 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Just found a little light reading which relates to LMU 20 francs coins.

https://goldadvert.com/knowledgebase/en/20-francs-of-the-angel-series-1871-1898/

Very interesting article. I am mainly collecting the LMU gold coins, especially the 20s and I am glad that I found more people apreciating this collecting area.

On 28/01/2019 at 05:21, mezmer1411 said:

Very informative topic here.

I'm just starting out with PM and latin monetary union coins hit all the right notes: they're fractal so I could afford a new one much more often, plenty of beautiful designs and prices very close to spot for the most common releases.

I have a question for collectors: how easy are they to sell (in the EU)?

Is there any issue (when it comes to selling) in the fact they are .900 gold?

I have a couple of sovereigns and from observing the forum here for the past month or so, it seems to me they are highly sought after and selling for close to the purchase price wouldn't be an issue. Is it similar with latin monetary union coins?

This is probably the final question I have before deciding whether to pull the trigger or not.

Thanks!

I am located in germany and I can tell you that these coins have a low spread and are well known here. For a standard piece in average condition you will always get at least spot price on the secondary market. 

20 Francs minted in London 

I thought this might be interested for you guys from england who are interested in LMU gold coins.

Sorry for the bad picture quality, my phone camera is bad and I had no sunlight at all.

Too bad this piece has some stuff on the rim but it's stil a nice piece of history.

1815Rfront.thumb.png.07a5c9d671a16406ff42f55ee610a359.png1815Rback.thumb.png.e1b2f70bf192d64bcd5554674a6baca5.png927322633_2019-02-1722_26_48-20Francs-LouisXVIII-FranceNumista.thumb.png.fa21e1dfe99ce9b632a915dff5913224.png

Edited by whuamai

Hello @whuamai

Welcome to this thread..we are a quite civilised and friendly group of people!

20 Francs Coins are easy to sell, as they are 90% gold like most other coins used in circulation.

Sovereigns will always carry a small premium, as they are more widely collected.

For me the odd 2 or 3% is irrelevant in what I collect, and I really don’t know why so many people obsess about it. If you get 2% less on £10000 it’s only £200..not a big deal! 

Personally, I collect the 20 francs coins because I find them more interesting than sovereigns..the financial side of things is less important, as I don’t believe I will ever sell my collection.

It sounds like Germany is a good place to collect the LMU coins..I have never bought one at spot!

Hey thanks for welcoming me here. I've deleted the shortcut for bad language. I've also started with the cheap ones just seen as a cheap way to buy smal gold coins. But then I started to like them and the premiums I pay are getting higher and higher. Now I have about 50 different types without varieties and it's getting quite expensive.