• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

1 hour ago, augur said:

Since only Big23 and KevinFlynn found this of interest: here is some further reading on cleaning/reconditioning silver coins:

https://www.emuenzen.de/forum/threads/reinigung-von-silbermuenzen-mit-olivenoel-bildergeschichte.39020/

I'll try that probably on my Nazi Silver

I did find the article of great interest, unfortunately its reading was delayed by an unexpected, and very painful trip to my local hospital this afternoon. @augur do you have a potion to cure Radialoscopy in C8 /T1?? My left scapula has gone crazy painful today..I think I need to make a coin purchase to help take my mind of it...

19 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@augur do you have a potion to cure Radialoscopy in C8 /T1?? My left scapula has gone crazy painful today..I think I need to make a coin purchase to help take my mind of it...

No potion but blue tape. Usually the m. scaleni on the neck tense up and impinge on the nerve or further down the path another muscle group tenses up. Blue MediTape on the cramped up area tends to works best in such cases. Maybe @kimchi's SCENAR device is also worth looking at. 

1 hour ago, augur said:

Interesting incomplete P in Premier 

also @eddi, would you be able to explain the Position A and B on the obverse of Belgian 20 Francs?

I  have one leopold I but the p is normal,    a rare  one is without a dot after L

Leopold II  

Position A and Position B
Position A = With the obverse (head) side facing downwards, the lettering is upright.
Position B = With the obverse (head) side facing upwards, the lettering is upright.

2 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I saw that device..It reminded me of a TENS unit ...which never worked on me...but a bottle of red usually does the trick!🤞

It's completely different from TENNS...superficially perhaps similar initial results (reduced pain), but they work very differently indeed. I suggest research, a few interviews on Youtube with Richard Cumbers will give you an idea. If you are near London/Kent you can try mine for free (well perhaps for the cost of a 9V battery lol). Good wishes :)

8 hours ago, kimchi said:

It's completely different from TENNS...superficially perhaps similar initial results (reduced pain), but they work very differently indeed. I suggest research, a few interviews on Youtube with Richard Cumbers will give you an idea. If you are near London/Kent you can try mine for free (well perhaps for the cost of a 9V battery lol). Good wishes :)

A very kind offer,  but alas I am a long way up the M1 from you...and currently it is unsafe for me to drive🙁

I have just discovered an unexpected benefit of having a painful shoulder, and being awake at 0430...’The early bird catches the worm’.

My date run of 20 French Francs Roosters has just been completed😃😃😃😃👍 (1899-1914)....All going well!

Within a few hours of being listed, I have found (and bought) what looks to be a 1900 Rooster in great condition. The bad news is I had to pay an unpleasant premium over spot, but the coin looks worth it to me. (plus a bit of retail therapy might help my current demeanour)

7820B933-AD5F-4E1F-9916-DAFA87109AA2.png.eeb4e823d1f7164f6540216cdeac62f2.png05F0A674-7088-4204-A049-52777492BA92.thumb.jpeg.a8c48981ec6f2c37b7de7163c2759daf.jpeg

17 hours ago, augur said:

Interesting incomplete P in Premier 

also @eddi, would you be able to explain the Position A and B on the obverse of Belgian 20 Francs?

You know I didn’t notice that. Good eye. I wonder if that makes this a rarity? How does stuff like this affect value? The reverse left has a weaker strike than the right from what I can see

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

@eddi hi.

Did I pay over £250...yes!😂😂😂..I paid £280.03...to be precise!

WHY?..If you want to buy an 1899 or 1900, there is a premium to be paid, they are the two rarest with mintages of c 1.5m and 606k respectively...not particularly scarce, but less easy to obtain than say the 1907, with a Mintage of 17.7 m...see Chards website for this info.

The 1900 ones on Ebay (having looked just now) are from main dealers and are not a high grade, BUT, they are charging a numismatic premium which is why I would give them a miss. The one I have just bought today (see prev) is a little more expensive but a higher grade of coin...find out next week!

I have just updated my Rooster spreadsheet and was very surprised to find...

1. I have collected a full date run in 1 Year and 1 month,..started 31-1-18..so has not taken too long.

2. My cost above spot (including the purchase of the 1900) to buy all 16 was only 9%, which is way lower than I thought it would be. This is of course due to the spot price in £GBP being much higher than a year ago. (£206.62 per coin inc postage)

Most were bought from Chards, then Bullion by Post and only two from eBay.

A big  thank you to @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer for picking out (and sending me photographs) of my first batch, and also to a contact at BBP for doing the same.

I have really enjoyed collecting these and look forward to starting to collect a new coin very shortly @augur..any suggestion?...they have to be interesting, obtainable and not too expensive...no rush on this one.

Edited by Kookaburracollector

@Cornishfarmer @Lea79 @augur @ilovesilverireallydo @KevinFlynn @eddi @mezmer1411 

@SilverTanner @steve1905

Hi, whilst you were all enjoying a nice long snooza, I managed to get the thread name changed with the assistance of @HelpingHands

Decided to ditch the French ! I think we discussed this a while ago but never got round to doing it.

Regards to all..

Kook

Edited by Kookaburracollector

3 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@Cornishfarmer @Lea79 @augur @ilovesilverireallydo @KevinFlynn @eddi @mezmer1411 

@SilverTanner @steve1905

Hi, whilst you were all enjoying a nice long snooza, I managed to get the thread name changed with the assistance of @HelpingHands

Decided to ditch the French ! I think we discussed this a while ago but never got round to doing it.

Regards to all..

Kook

Many thanks, the LMU has a fascinating history - here is one of my FRENCH 20 Francs

France-G20F-AN12A-Rcrop.jpg

3 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@SilverTanner @steve1905

Regards to all..

Kook

I want snoozing was  on a long ass flight to India ;) 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

43 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

@SilverTanner very nice early coin. I am trying not to like it too much, as I fear collecting Napoleon 1 coins would prove to be both difficult and expensive. 

I agree, which is why I only have a few😄 I think a full set of Napoleon 20 and 40 Francs in decent grades would set you back more than £200K! Common dates in bullion grade would be much much less and bulk lots regularly appear at a range of European auctions.

AN12 is the second year of the new monetary system, I don't have a 20 Francs for the first year, although I do have a 40 Francs from the year ANXI (this is the missing olive variety)

France-G40F-ANXIA-Rcrop.jpg

24 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

😮 whoa! The big guns are coming out now..that’s a real Bobby Dazzler! I have no idea how many of those were minted but I can’t imagine many..

According to Gadoury the mintage for ANXI is 226,115 which is one of the highest mintages for the 40 francs and therefore the most common (which is why I have that date😄).

My lowest mintage 20 Francs is the one below with a mintage of only 522!

I am now off to move 1 ton of horse muck onto the potato beds - glamorous life this coin collecting😄

France-G20F-AN13Q-NGC-Rcrop.jpg

It is sunday, I am doing some housework, occasionally resting with a mug of peppermint tea with ginger, lemon and honey (prescribed by my fiancee)...

So I thought to break out the scales and evaluate my latest purchases. If I am correctly informed, each of these should have startet at 6,4516g or slightly higher. So what did a century do to that? Only now, I really realize how old these coins are...

The Rooster (119 years)

770241820_WeighingRooster.thumb.jpg.73c5e3d1f722eeca2e44172ff31f12a2.jpg

The Leopold (142 years)

903155067_WeighingLeopold.thumb.jpg.5a21d2d47c578e6d00e6393a1e45aa68.jpg

The Umberto (137 years)

2012722530_WeighingUmberto.thumb.jpg.719b360608f52847ec2d8408d1e28e73.jpg

The Helvetia (129 years)

740484910_WeighingHelvetia.thumb.jpg.e5449ab867dec7f85cdb241507649927.jpg

@KevinFlynn Those weights would suggest that all of your coins are uncirculated...or at least in very good condition. Do you have a grubby, worn 20 francs coin to compare against?

In my early collecting days I weighed all of the USA Gold Buffalos that I bought, mainly as reassurance that I hadn’t bought a fake. These are modern coins so weight loss through circulation was not an issue. The consistency of weight was remarkable, 31.21g to 31.23 g...so nothing to worry about there. 

On the more expensive purchases I make, I tend to stick to main dealers, my aversion to risk is more persuasive than my desire for a bargain. A philosophy in life which not all share, but tends to serve me well.