• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

On 03/04/2019 at 10:51, Kookaburracollector said:

Third time lucky...!!!

The first 1879 20 francs coin I bought from France,was returned as it was junk grade!

The second 1879.....................I bought from France, is still lost in West Africa!!!

Congratulations 😃 here go to ATS Bullion, who have sourced me one, and an 1871, and they have arrived! (Anchor, not barred anchor)

C7F742F2-C50A-4C8F-A4CE-92F390456BFC.thumb.jpeg.1558928f28c0cc581d97498412afd141.jpeg

1EC5CBA7-2910-40EE-9C28-4890E8EF9F18.thumb.jpeg.5b5719b78b2e7de16e490eff3b114b22.jpeg

I think it’s worth giving ATS Bullion a bit of a special mention here....

I have used them in the past, and their customer service has been better than ANY other dealer I have used.

The above two coins only cost about 6% over spot plus postage...for UK buyers that knocks seven bells out of the big dealers over here!

The best bit..I emailed them a ‘coins wanted list’ last year, and they kept it...! I got an email out of the blue asking if I still wanted the coins on the list, as they now have some in stock..what fantastic customer service.

I have now sent a revised list to them and a big thank you 😊.

Its not often I give a free plug to a dealer but on this occasion they deserve it..

https://www.atsbullion.com/

I’m surprised you got them for 6% over spot as most of the coins I looked at on their site started around  10% over spot.  They have always seemed a bit more expensive than most bullion dealers to me.

19 hours ago, Murph said:

I’m surprised you got them for 6% over spot as most of the coins I looked at on their site started around  10% over spot.  They have always seemed a bit more expensive than most bullion dealers to me.

Hi, just had a look round the main dealers this morning and prices do seem to be high for these. ATS are now at 10% (guess I got lucky, but it was cheeper for buying two). HGM always the cheapest (3% usually) but they don’t have any, and quality can be interesting!. BBP have them but over 20%..ouch! Chards still 25% over spot and sold out! 

If anyone sees these little critters at a good price please PM me...just need 1848, 1887,1889, 1892 and 1894 now! Cheers 🍻.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

A lot of dealers don’t even mention the type let alone the date.  If they have a number in stock they probably won’t appreciate phone calls or emails asking which dates they are. 

Hi @Murph..I know what you are saying..you can feel as though you are being a pest by asking for certain coins/dates, and in my case condition..but don’t forget, they are in the business to sell, so don’t let them put you off..

When I bought my first 20 francs coins (Feb 2018) they were certainly more plentiful, and cheeper. The dealers at that time were really helpful to me..but not always at first!

I called Chards, and asked for photographs of all the roosters they had in stock (different years) and asked for the best ones to be picked out. Lizzie did this for me, and based on excellent photographs, I bought 11 coins from her ..that’s a £2100+ sale!

My next stop was Bullion By Post.. I made the same request of them, and they refused to do it. This is where things got interesting..I had spent a lot of money with them the previous year, so I raised a complaint against the customer service agent. Give them credit, the General Manager called me back to discuss my complaint...as a result of that conversation, the General Manager searched all the coins personally, photographed them and I bought 3 of him the day after. He is someone I can now call directly, and is great to deal with, but I guess this is an exceptional circumstance..over the next 8 months he repeated the process four times, and I bought a further 13 coins from them. They now sell them by individual dates and are too expensive, but for a while it worked great!

ATS Bullion - They do not have the 20 Francs coins in very often, but they are really helpful. They kept an email from me for over six months, then contacted me to advise they had two coins for me...what great service.

Finally, Atkinsons...not great for 20 Francs coins, but they have always been helpful. Elizabeth has always been helpful, and I bought a date run of US Buffalos from them (over about a year) a while ago.

I wouldn’t worry about asking a dealer for what you want, the worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Hope that helps!

19 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Hi @Murph..I know what you are saying..you can feel as though you are being a pest by asking for certain coins/dates, and in my case condition..but don’t forget, they are in the business to sell, so don’t let them put you off..

When I bought my first 20 francs coins (Feb 2018) they were certainly more plentiful, and cheeper. The dealers at that time were really helpful to me..but not always at first!

I called Chards, and asked for photographs of all the roosters they had in stock (different years) and asked for the best ones to be picked out. Lizzie did this for me, and based on excellent photographs, I bought 11 coins from her ..that’s a £2100+ sale!

My next stop was Bullion By Post.. I made the same request of them, and they refused to do it. This is where things got interesting..I had spent a lot of money with them the previous year, so I raised a complaint against the customer service agent. Give them credit, the General Manager called me back to discuss my complaint...as a result of that conversation, the General Manager searched all the coins personally, photographed them and I bought 3 of him the day after. He is someone I can now call directly, and is great to deal with, but I guess this is an exceptional circumstance..over the next 8 months he repeated the process four times, and I bought a further 13 coins from them. They now sell them by individual dates and are too expensive, but for a while it worked great!

ATS Bullion - They do not have the 20 Francs coins in very often, but they are really helpful. They kept an email from me for over six months, then contacted me to advise they had two coins for me...what great service.

Finally, Atkinsons...not great for 20 Francs coins, but they have always been helpful. Elizabeth has always been helpful, and I bought a date run of US Buffalos from them (over about a year) a while ago.

I wouldn’t worry about asking a dealer for what you want, the worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Hope that helps!

HGM always tell me dates and quality of coins when I call them

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

On 18/04/2019 at 19:31, ilovesilverireallydo said:

HGM always tell me dates and quality of coins when I call them

I guess it depends how often you ask them.  For a while I was on the phone to them up to twice a day almost every day just because they wouldn't list their jubilee head half sovs and young heads separately.  I wasn't even asking the dates.

I thought about hiding my caller id, as they would tell me before I got round to asking after a while, but they would have known my voice.

It's a quite good price. A LMU Gold collector who hasn't got one yet should buy that one in my opinion.

Looks like shipping is quite cheap to germany, just wondering how the condition is...

Edited by whuamai

Baird’s have had Louis phillipes advertised for quite a while now but none in stock when you attempt to buy.

I see hgm have also got more 20 francs in but as far as I could tell they are mostly later ones.

32 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Hello, yes you guessed it ! where did you find these beauties ?

This nice probably sheer luck. They tend to come at a high premium and in circulated condition. You will find more over the pond but in Europe very hard to come by.

There is a smaller 1930 10 Bolivares on offer from @whuamai – almost the same design and usually in SPL-FDC

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lea79 said:

I’ve been after this one for a while. Not great pics as it’s dark and I’ve only just opened it haha 😃

975858AE-8780-44E8-855C-8B4EF761479B.jpeg

3705E1BA-9D3C-449C-9FF5-969684595E42.jpeg

nice coin which has only been minted for two years with low mintages. Unfortunately the strike isn't that deep on the ones I have seen. I got that ones also.

13 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

I’ve been after this one for a while. Not great pics as it’s dark and I’ve only just opened it haha 😃

975858AE-8780-44E8-855C-8B4EF761479B.jpeg

3705E1BA-9D3C-449C-9FF5-969684595E42.jpeg

A very nice treat ... Sorry about the questions  but so nice to see one - where did you manage to find one?     Do they have an inscription on the side like the French ones with the little stars?    Is that a French mint mark??

10 minutes ago, whuamai said:

nice coin which has only been minted for two years with low mintages. Unfortunately the strike isn't that deep on the ones I have seen. I got that ones also.

My first thought was it wasn’t a very prominent strike.  The price was reasonable though so I can’t complain.  I’m Just glad to have a type example 😃.  I’ve got a 20 Bolivares in the post office to pick up too.  I love coin delivery days haha 

3 minutes ago, Caratacus said:

A very nice treat ... Sorry about the questions  but so nice to see one - where did you manage to find one?     Do they have an inscription on the side like the French ones with the little stars?    Is that a French mint mark??

Mines an a also.  I got it on eBay. There was another one available from seller flocean.  He has a few different 20 francs for quite reasonable prices.  Delivery was quick too.