• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint RAF £2 Coin Release Mon. 5 March 2018

TheCoinConnection

Today brings the release of a new £2 coin series, issued by the Royal MInt.

It celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force. 

There are 5 coins in the collection The RAF Badge, The Spitfire, The Vulan, The Sea King Helicopter and The Lightning II, the first 2 coins to be issued will be the RAF Badge and Spitfire. The remaining ones will be released May, August and September.

All coins are available in Base Metal, Silver Proof, Piedfort and Gold proof.

A link to the new collection will be added to the Buy Sell and Trade section

A bit of History:

At the outbreak of World War One in 1914, few people believed, that aircraft would play a major roll in the conflict.  Hot -air balloons had been used previously for almost 100 years for reconnaissance and observation, it was thought that planes would serve a similar purpose. The Royal Flying Corps, the aviation branch of the British Army, began life as an 'eye in the air' reporting on enemy positions and providing a tactical advantage.

Sadly as the war progressed into the bloodiest conflict the world had ever seen, the race for superior air power began, shaping the history of human flight.

Together with the Royal Naval Air Service, the Royal Flying Corps grew into a force of a few hundred aeroplanes in 1914 into a huge, independent air arm of thousands of combat and support aircraft. Pilots observers and crew risked their lives testing the new technology to it's limits.

Deployed above battlegrounds, often beyond the call of duty, these brave men suffered the effects of altitude and freezing temperatures, they also faced great personal danger from enemy guns, and later combat fighters. Seeing film footage of the 'dogfights', reminds us all of the skill and courage of these brave men.

The Royal Flying Corps and Naval flying service, went on to  become the HM Royal Air Force, on the 1st April 1918

Today and every day we should remember the brave souls who in this terrible conflict, made the ultimate sacrifice, be it on land, air or sea.

RAF Centenary Spitfire 2018 £2 United Kingdom Silver Proof Coin rev tone - ukp69885.png

RAF Centenary Badge 2018 £2 United Kingdom Silver Proof Coin rev tone - ukp65885.png

Just now, Kman said:

Not a topic that interests me, but I think they're quite nice for what they are

yea cos I am going to get them anyway .......... all three metals just to continue my collections :D 

this year 7 x 2 pound coin <_<   

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

32 minutes ago, Oystonout said:

Spitfire looks great. Didn't know anything about the first one the "badge" design. It's already out? 

Are these already in general circulation?

I doubt we will see these in general circulation for a while. To my knowledge, the £2 coins from last year aren't out in the wild yet. 

The badge and Spitfire are on the RM site today for purchase although there is a wait for stock. 

30 minutes ago, Ansel said:

I doubt we will see these in general circulation for a while. To my knowledge, the £2 coins from last year aren't out in the wild yet. 

The badge and Spitfire are on the RM site today for purchase although there is a wait for stock. 

Cheers

The spitfire looks ace. The badge understandingly second of the two. Set of 5 X may do ok.

Royal mint is cashing in on this wave of new enthusiasts and are bringing out coins every 5 mins. Hard to keep up 

I do like these being an avid fan of all things military but I do find the Seaking a strange choice to have on a coin. There were far better choices to be had. The lightning for a start to go with the Lightning II. The Harrier, Jaguar, Hunter, Victor all far better choices than the Seaking imo.Or maybe just make a coin for all the different RAF types. Heaven.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:05, Mark43 said:

I do like these being an avid fan of all things military but I do find the Seaking a strange choice to have on a coin. There were far better choices to be had. The lightning for a start to go with the Lightning II. The Harrier, Jaguar, Hunter, Victor all far better choices than the Seaking imo.Or maybe just make a coin for all the different RAF types. Heaven.

The Sea King is for prince willy lad when he pretended to have a job for a bit.

Archived