• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1989 Tudor Rose graded vs. raw set

*tada*

I’m still new to the sovereigns, but my favorite is absolutely the 1989 Tudor Rose design. While hunting for the coins, I was curious if there are some different perspectives from the collector base in UK and US on modern issues like these.

On PCGS and NGC population summary there aren’t many graded 1989s even adding all grades together, particularly in top grades. This could either mean many collectors don’t like sovereigns to be in 3rd party plastic holders so very few submissions, or that the average quality on 1989 is not worth the effort to grade if below 69, or maybe a raw set with box & coa carry some sort of premium, or maybe there is some secret hoard somewhere (I am joking of course on the last one). What do you guys think might be the case?

Chards’ informative website mentioned some interesting tibits on how the 1989 sovereign suddenly becomes popular a decade later. Although it’s hard commenting on the past but I’m still shocked it’s not a hot item at issuance! Collector tastes are like shifting sands...

Population of sovereigns fairly low and populations of Sovereigns in general are low relative to the coins out there. For lots of coins it does not dramatically improve the value by grading. However for the 1989 top grades of 70 are very very rare. I have achieved one coin at 70 for regalstacker. I noticed that even the acclaimed tyrant collection of the Thames only has a 69 graded coin.

It has only been in the last year or so that the 2002, 2005 and 2012 proof Sovereignshave been of a suitable value for grading to be a good option.

3 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Population of sovereigns fairly low and populations of Sovereigns in general are low relative to the coins out there. For lots of coins it does not dramatically improve the value by grading. However for the 1989 top grades of 70 are very very rare. I have achieved one coin at 70 for regalstacker. I noticed that even the acclaimed tyrant collection of the Thames only has a 69 graded coin.

It has only been in the last year or so that the 2002, 2005 and 2012 proof Sovereignshave been of a suitable value for grading to be a good option.

Which modern sovereign would you pick to buy if you could only have 1 ?

Thanks for the reply Numistacker, congrats to getting a 70 from a raw set.

Comparing to 2002, 2005 and 2012; I personally prefer 1989 and 2017 from a design point of view. But I understand the demand from type collectors.

19 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

it has only been in the last year or so that the 2002, 2005 and 2012 proof Sovereignshave been of a suitable value for grading to be a good option.

Yep in 2014 the 2002 proof was about £350 and 2005 about £300 on Ebay

They've risen quite nicely since

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

12 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The 1989 has risen from £750 to £1100 since 2013

The SOTD 2017 is the key for 2017

I think they made too many last year. I still get confused by all the variations!

Which modern sovereign would you pick to buy if you could only have 1 ?

If an 1818 Proof is counted .... but if not then the 2017 is the one everyone will want for the next 50 years I think. It will steadily rise

Just now, Numistacker said:

If an 1818 Proof is counted .... but if not then the 2017 is the one everyone will want for the next 50 years I think. It will steadily rise

Do you mean the 2018 Proof? If so, why is this one special please?

12 minutes ago, Elements said:

I think they made too many last year. I still get confused by all the variations!

Proof mintages I believe are

image.png.a3f6aeab4eabbcabac2dba76aba288c4.png

Even if you count the 1817, 2017 SoTD BU garter as a proof like, which is fair, then it's still a lower end mintage compared to other years, minus 2012. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

Proof mintages I believe are

image.png.a3f6aeab4eabbcabac2dba76aba288c4.png

Even if you count the 1817, 2017 SoTD BU garter as a proof like, which is fair, then it's still a lower end mintage compared to other years, minus 2012. 

I mean the number of different variations seem too many.

Numistacker did a video,  there were what, 5 special issues?

The number won’t matter in time but these will need to be in every collection and there are not that many of them. The interesting thing is that there is an increased interest for all proofs.

1 minute ago, Elements said:

I mean the number of different variations seem too many.

Numistacker did a video,  there were what, 5 special issues?

There were loads of full sovereigns yeah

• Proof
  • SOTD BU Garter
  • SOTD Sapphire Jubilee 
  • SOTD platinum wedding
  • Indian "I" mint Mark sovereign
  • Bullion sovereign

(not counting peidfort) 

But only one full proof.. and one kinda similar with a plain edge :P 

• Proof
  • SOTD BU Garter
  • SOTD Sapphire Jubilee 
  • SOTD platinum wedding
  • Bullion sovereign
(not counting peidfort)  But only one full proof.. and one kinda similar with a plain edge [emoji14] 

Yep one needs a big budget, or simply choose whatever he likes. There is no need to collect all of them.

What do you think about Piedfort sovereign? MCM is still trying to sell the perfectly graded ones. That’s actually one of the main reasons i ask the questions before - it seems recent sovereigns are very easy to grade perfect due to technology improvements from the RM

2 minutes ago, Kman said:

• Proof
  • SOTD BU Garter
  • SOTD Sapphire Jubilee 
  • SOTD platinum wedding
  • Bullion sovereign

(not counting peidfort) 

But only one full proof.. and one kinda similar with a plain edge :P 

Yeah that’s whats confusing. When @Numistacker says:

“The 1989 has risen from £750 to £1100 since 2013

The SOTD 2017 is the key for 2017”

which SOTD? All of them?!

Yeah that’s whats confusing. When [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] says:

The plain edge sovereign, though I think the sapphire jubilee has very low mintage, if not for the platinum wedding added later (well played by the RM...)

Yeah that’s whats confusing. When [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] says:

Plain Rim 1817 mintage

Yep one needs a big budget, or simply choose whatever he likes. There is no need to collect all of them.

What do you think about Piedfort sovereign? MCM is still trying to sell the perfectly graded ones. That’s actually one of the main reasons i ask the questions before - it seems recent sovereigns are very easy to grade perfect due to technology improvements from the RM

It’s a 15 year time horizon not 1 year

21 minutes ago, *tada* said:

I personally prefer 1989 and 2017 from a design point of view. But I understand the demand from type collectors.

I personally agree with your design choice 

IMG_6016.thumb.JPG.0af16f1dbbdde509009157205d06263c.JPG

56 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

I don't have a lot to spend...would this be a good one for me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Great-Britain-1-4-Gold-Sovereign-NGC-PF70-Pistrucci-200th-Anniv-4515947-131/401434488434?hash=item5d775c2e72:g:-v8AAOSwonBZ-jRW

Untitled.jpg

Archived