• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

PansPurse

Gold Half Sovereign

Really good close ups and a very enjoyable watch. 

I always like the, "What's in the purse this time?" That line and the music remind me of kids TV shows from the 70s. I know that doesn't sound very complimentary but it is supposed to be. 

That was engaging, enjoyable and I managed to get to the end, which I don't always, due to short attention span.

I don't think you should get it graded, mostly because you said there's some wear, which there certainly is. If you could say it is EF grade (I think it's actually VF-ish myself, but it matters not) then perhaps NGC would give it AU58 maybe. In EF grade Spink 2017 suggests a price of £125, seems brutally cheap, and Marsh 2017 price supplement says £150. Anyway, it might cost you say £30 to get it graded it total (unsure), added to the price of the coin it seems uneconomical. If you want it graded for reasons other than financial, then it could be worth it, to you.

I like the coin, half sovs have quickly become my favourite.

I forgot to add, I find it helpful to find a picture of an uncirculated version, to see what detail is missing. I have only recently become interested in grading and am still finding my feet, but it's always a help to use that approach I think.

Edited by Sovsaver

Most enjoyable video, thanks for sharing! I'm also new to sovereigns, I am currently attempting to collect a (very!) long term stack of different monarch heads, of bullion full sovs.

However, i take on board your comments about halves being more accessible than fulls, certainly is food for thought- i could as you say accelerate my collecting. Do we agree that half sov's are as fluid as full sovs? I'm not experienced at all but looking at the for sale adverts on this forum, people don't seem to struggle to move on a half sov any more than they would a full.

As for the grading I've no idea on the subject- good luck whichever way you decide to go! It's a lovely coin either way. :)

19 minutes ago, boon said:

Do we agree that half sov's are as fluid as full sovs? I'm not experienced at all but looking at the for sale adverts on this forum, people don't seem to struggle to move on a half sov any more than they would a full.

Well there's a steady stream of half sovereigns that do well on eBay, even with just one day auctions, so if picking up at low premium it seems fairly straightforward to offload there. Also I guess any bullion dealer worth their salt would be as familiar with them as full sovs

It is fun, and quite easy (cash permitting) to put together a bullion portrait set. The Mint released their own collection but they are usually quite expensive. I seem to remember Atkinsons had one fairly priced.

5a9160bfa373c_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.6ad59a88e11771a0257a347414b772da.jpg

Now, leaving all the early (read: expensive) ones for the 'Steves' of this world to drool over (:P) and starting with Victoria, 7 or 8 different portraits should create an interesting and historical collection.

On a budget, I 'assembled' my own.

Here's mine.

20180224_135137.thumb.jpg.760bd513ef2a7346a536ff423c1e913f.jpg

I have the JC portrait too but there is not enough space.

21 hours ago, PansPurse said:

So, big question, should I send this coin off for grading?

No you shouldn't send it off for grading unless you want all your collection in slabs, but that suggests becoming a collector not a stacker as you say you are many times in your video.  If you do become a collector you won't be happy having this one in your collection, you could get a far better one for not much more money.
Strictly speaking the obverse is a nice EF but the reverse barely makes VF as well as having rim damage. I also think it's had a bit of "cleaning" too at some point. These are extremely common and purely bullion in this grade.

29 minutes ago, Roy said:

(read: expensive) ones for the 'Steves' of this world to drool over

ahem, you can go off people you know! :P

Agreed on the grading.

It's a lovely coin, coronation year, lots of history but they did make a lot of 'em!

It will be fab in a George run, or a King's run, or a Portrait collection but slabbed I can't see the value.

It is what it is I guess. :)

I go off chopping wood in the garden for a few hours and see what happens, there is half sovereign chat.

I want to get a couple of young heads for my March purchase but am worried they will be in disappointing condition given the premium. (Looking at ATS Bullion, Chards seem dearer but are graded).

Drool drool @Roy

Every YH half I own was expensive. That's my experience, I don't know why.

Jubilee and Veiled were reasonable, though a premium added.

I think a lot of the YHs were melted and re-issued (it is documented) and therefore uncommon?

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

No you shouldn't send it off for grading unless you want all your collection in slabs, but that suggests becoming a collector not a stacker as you say you are many times in your video.  If you do become a collector you won't be happy having this one in your collection, you could get a far better one for not much more money.

To be honest I don't see the two as fundamentally incompatible, and perhaps there's some weird identity politics I'm not picking up on too. I guess I'm not hard nosed enough to be purely stacking, but also baulk at the premiums associated with pure numismatics, so instead I pick up cheapish bullion coins when I can but get more excited by stuff with a story to tell... Boy that got a bit naval gazing.

Thanks for the thoughts on the condition, seems general consensus is that I'm best off just holding onto the coin and enjoying it by and of itself which works for me :)

Thanks @Roy

Are they really uncommon or is it just that dealers know they are popular with collectors and will fetch the premium?

All YH halves are shields so you aren't paying more for the privilege of owning a shield over a G&D

I understand a premium for a VF etc.

I am not just buying for gold weight anymore or I would just go for another couple of lucky dips so I guess I am a tight collector on a budget. :)

23 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I guess I am a tight collector on a budget. :)

Welcome to a heavily subscribed club :D

I think they are uncommon (as opposed to rare).

The definitive sovereign perhaps, a YH shield?

I don't look for them anymore (always a bad move) but like it when they randomly come up for sale.

I haven't had one from HGM for a loooong time.

1 minute ago, Roy said:

I haven't had one from HGM for a loooong time.

Exactly, no dealer is going to just move them on bullion style when they can make a couple of extra quid.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying a bit of a premium, like recently picking up a proof half for £145 but I would be disappointed if I paid that for a YH half and it was as tired and worn out as I am! ;)

25 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

When I see them for the price of a regular full sov, my knees go wobbly. :o

Love when you see dog rough bullion half sovs on Ebay for like 199.99 I messaged him with what sort of price he would get he said your wrong I saw on Dickinson real deal how much Ines these sold for lol!