• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cool Coins from our stack

dixiesilvergirl

We spend a lot of time talking about poured silver, making poured silver and buying and selling poured silver, but that is not the only silver we stack. We stack bullion, gold, platinum and palladium. We also have quite a few numismatic collector coins and I thought we should share them with you also. The first 2 we are going to share are from the Cook Islands:

2014 Cook Islands MOLDAVITE IMPACT Meteorite Coin CONCAVE 999 silver $5 Proof w/ box & COA

And  

2016 Cook Islands TAMDAKHT METEORITE SILVER COIN 999 1/2oz $2 Proof w/ box & COA

svE3wAPGHWbIlRDW3mNUKcOkYF_YKvMBQ9hL4mykKAq3YV3RFXd-PsbZxLBBETXK8jmkHV51lkMzARA4m6L9ucZTQaAHuE9nJe-uZGNqJa0f3PWZWKmZfZtW-wv3__7JXWcBunjy

These coins are part of the Cook Islands Meteorite series they have released 13 coins in the series starting in 2004 each highlighting a major meteorite that has landed here on earth and each coin has a small piece of the actual meteor on it.

x8EwSCA2-mS-znF8qx9fysMHY5t_7LBx_ea04JuE3dseuo3_Zj45S4nqoLOJpq0jR_yZB43z2cmCz4p2JHh2Xmg3CWwMugluxrcMkqH2F2ZJe5iqPbHx3zbld9mlV8MaLtDFNnvF

The amazing Moldavite Impact is the latest and very interesting coin edition 2014 of Cook Islands with an authentic piece of meteorite inlaid. It depicts the crater generated by the meteorite impact in very high relief, and the coin is concave shaped to enhance the crater deepness. The vivid colours and the amazing design are perfect to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the series.

This unique and extremely rare coin features an insert of a piece of Moldavite meteorite with an amazing colored design. The particular concave shape of the coin and the new technique of multilevel minting make this coin unique. The coin’s obverse depicts the Raphael Maklouf effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.1  Limited MIntage at 2500. The moldavite has a average price of about $20 a gram. The meteor hit the earth in the Czech Republic and although there is debate if the rock was the meteor or if it was formed when the meteor hit the earth it is only found in the one area of the earth.ZgV4IOCROgff2w9Y9hAzrrQqQwgQCjRnl6o7drXrxL0P9SWSynhPB2Yg4m8E7gUh9bkHDCimvD_86ADaREYdH1DT6v9tU8Blp5qG1zhfMXy0tokoYjWhxwMVoUm_FxSkAr9SsfxX3

5EI3JwZ2M4q-L7O3bAkZvaPmf0Fo5qoR9noWlvHxtaAuqv-X2qKXCVPRd6sQ0iQtBmA4zklK84xjKn0h_afU7DriM4LqoKyoLgg2-qZHNkJn-kz_osdHbcsFNReM5njM3uAsCD-h

CZMaw_AlO-YuEp7dPtHeTb0ZtaKiGgTCre5Wxe_ZYsJlrtVHp6k_9MoH1ySCLGo9fbil5vP_Z5GH7fm_8MQxA5qRPB8htfs--jdvLM839yEoNFcH8gGZ5_wBghj7zziK-7mKJtlp

The amazing Tamdakht meteorite is predestined to be immortalized on this very interesting 1/2 Oz Silver coin, with an authentic fragment of meteorite inlaid. The coin has an interesting particularity – has a hole in the middle. The coin features Ultra High Relief, antique finish quality and mintage is limited to 2500 pieces worldwide.2 Tamdakht is currently selling for $10 a gram.  In Ouarzazate, Morocco on 12/20/2008 the Tamdakht meteor impacted the earth and left 1 large and 2 smaller craters,h4TATfTYBl587UVcrhBWAGhZCdB_snxWfPtV7tPWSC2xy2I88esjKMnNZOZNNr6ByBn5pki5jfUOoLHhQMhlNnyDS_ZSjq_ILrMa-GlINANEL3eSSX-2LEwb4ZTh2rvodXHyejg_ 4

34joxQRLSXd1nNpdJQ_0ITTDPJUY2FDdIJjLesng91GYXtrGZPkvxbLuNG7oWLNU2ynr7C9OAilsOdHaWYWAj-VeNDdCF8UsaU7ofJiUaOnVuOg28lOL6rpF6eS_jCITcs6MCPbL

These coins come with a very high premium but seem to hold their value(unfortunately not gain much) but honestly when we bought them it was because we thought they were very unique and we liked them.

Hope you enjoyed seeing these unique coins. These are just 2 of 100’s of meteorites that have hit the earth and not all when the dinosaurs were here. We didn’t realize how many areas had been affected by meteorites until we found these coins! Thanks for reading and happy stacking!

Sources:

1 http://www.bullionstop.com/2014-moldavite-impact-silver-coin-cook-islands-5-meteorite-series/#product-tab-description

2 https://www.powercoin.it/en/cit-coin-invest-trust/2267-tamdakht-meteorite-strike-meteor-silver-coin-2-cook-islands-2016.html

3 https://www.gemselect.com/other-info/moldavite-tektite.php

4https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1464343X17303084

I really like those, but its hard to ignore the premium because of stacking brain washing. 

I always found it difficult to confirm authenticity with moldavite, especially as a skeptical individual as it's just natural formed glass. I have some bought from a reliable source, but that said the best stuff I have looks a lot like faceted beer bottle glass. Even the inclusions, vacuum bubbles and such can apparently be replicated, I wonder how much in the market is real and how much of it is stella artois beer bottle :P

2 hours ago, KDave said:

I really like those, but its hard to ignore the premium because of stacking brain washing. 

I always found it difficult to confirm authenticity with moldavite, especially as a skeptical individual as it's just natural formed glass. I have some bought from a reliable source, but that said the best stuff I have looks a lot like faceted beer bottle glass. Even the inclusions, vacuum bubbles and such can apparently be replicated, I wonder how much in the market is real and how much of it is stella artois beer bottle :P

I have a milky Brit I took a blowtorch to out of frustration which looks almost identical, plus it was a very therapeutic experience :)

@dixiesilvergirl just joking! :P Very interesting coins, thanks!

I think my most interesting modern coin for some folk might be a Penny Black (world's first stamp) boxed with a 1/25th black pearl finish proof commemorative 24ct gold coin. This one is still a bit of a mystery to me (I believe the boxed set may be as low as 500), and it's so tiny (and my camera so poor) that I probably can't do it any sort of justice, but it's one that fascinates me still!

Please accept my apologies for the introduction of doubt as to what is probably an authentic piece. This is the trouble with sharing knowledge, it is not always wanted and what is known can not be unknown. But it really is all the same stuff, just glass, so if we think moldavite is special, then why can't beer bottle glass be special too? ;) 

7 hours ago, kimchi said:

I have a milky Brit I took a blowtorch to out of frustration which looks almost identical, plus it was a very therapeutic experience :)

@dixiesilvergirl just joking! :P Very interesting coins, thanks!

I think my most interesting modern coin for some folk might be a Penny Black (world's first stamp) boxed with a 1/25th black pearl finish proof commemorative 24ct gold coin. This one is still a bit of a mystery to me (I believe the boxed set may be as low as 500), and it's so tiny (and my camera so poor) that I probably can't do it any sort of justice, but it's one that fascinates me still!

LOL a blow Torch! and I had never heard of the black penny stamp, thanks to google I now know that is awesome! very cool, I will definately have to look into that more thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, KDave said:

Please accept my apologies for the introduction of doubt as to what is probably an authentic piece. This is the trouble with sharing knowledge, it is not always wanted and what is known can not be unknown. But it really is all the same stuff, just glass, so if we think moldavite is special, then why can't beer bottle glass be special too? ;) 

no apology needed it is really cool to learn new things even if they aren't what you think you want to hear! And yes you are correct anything can be special if you think it is! 

Archived