• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best coins For flipping on ebay

monkstax

I have been tempted to do this but the time and effort on top of home life and work as well as trying to compete with the eBay dealer's don't seem worth the hassle sometimes.

But if you are willing to hold on to to coins until a good selling time on eBay then could be worth it ?but I do agree with @ilovesilverireallydo the owls will be the best bet but also GS.be are doing a random years pick of libertad's at the moment for just over £14.50 which would be your best bet in the long run. I picked up 6 on the group order to fill my tube.

To make it worthwhile you would really need to buy in bulk. If you just brought 20-30 at a time the amount of profit you would make after fees, capsules/flips, packaging, postage, etc would be very small indeed.

Even if you did buy in bulk (which in itself would mean tying up quite a bit of cash) the returns would still be far too small to justify the stress and hassle of organising it all IMO.

Flipping coins on eBay is possible, but not easy and as quick as you might expect. 

I currently have the cheapest listed 2018 Britannias (well I am tied at least) and I have sold 1 in the last week.

They dont fly off the shelves that is for sure. And after fees and postage etc I end up making about £2 per coin at these prices. 

So, you can make money - but it is not easy.

There is also risk involved. To achieve these prices you have to send the coin via regular unsigned for post. After signed for delivery, on one coin at £22 I would make about 75p. I evaluate the risk when posting a coin as best as possible (researching the buyer etc.) Not had an issue to date but I have had a number of parcels take a few weeks to arrive. Precious metals are not covered by royal mail so if one coin goes missing/lost or you get an unscrupulous buyer you wipe out all profits.

Talking of unscrupulous buyers - someone claiming you sent a fake coin is a pretty easy scam to do. They lodge a claim with eBay, send the coin back, which they swap out for an actual fake, and eBay will always side with the buyer. You lose out again.

I haven't even got onto the topic of the amount of work involved in organisation, packaging etc.

Just my two cents - I am happy to take the risks that I take - but I don't know that many people who would do the same for a very small margin.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

36 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

Look at some of Shadowstack's videos on YouTube, he has some good info about this but personally I thinks it's a lot of hassle for not much return.

10% return in a few days? I guess I am using the wrong bank :P

I'd have thought low premium generic items were the least likely to work well, simply because margin is against you with fixed cost of postage.  I'd look at modest premium semi-numismatic items that mean the VAT difference alone covers the delivery cost.  Proofs of popular/hyped issues follow this  and seem to be the best opportunity. 

I often flip Sterling stuff and junk coins, they seem to do really well in auctions. My sterling pendants give me 60% return after fees etc. But time and effort to list pack and ship need to be considered. Would often be packing while watching Netflix much to the annoyance of the mrs...

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Flipping coins on eBay is possible, but not easy and as quick as you might expect. 

I currently have the cheapest listed 2018 Britannias (well I am tied at least) and I have sold 1 in the last week.

They dont fly off the shelves that is for sure. And after fees and postage etc I end up making about £2 per coin at these prices. 

So, you can make money - but it is not easy.

There is also risk involved. To achieve these prices you have to send the coin via regular unsigned for post. After signed for delivery, on one coin at £22 I would make about 75p. I evaluate the risk when posting a coin as best as possible (researching the buyer etc.) Not had an issue to date but I have had a number of parcels take a few weeks to arrive. Precious metals are not covered by royal mail so if one coin goes missing/lost or you get an unscrupulous buyer you wipe out all profits.

Talking of unscrupulous buyers - someone claiming you sent a fake coin is a pretty easy scam to do. They lodge a claim with eBay, send the coin back, which they swap out for an actual fake, and eBay will always side with the buyer. You lose out again.

I haven't even got onto the topic of the amount of work involved in organisation, packaging etc.

Just my two cents - I am happy to take the risks that I take - but I don't know that many people who would do the same for a very small margin.

I would wholeheartedly agree with all @BackyardBullion has to say.  I've just had a request to refund a buyer in Spain for a banknote I sent out.  He claimed it wasn't described accurately! (I thought a note that actually survived two world wars was accurately described as 'good condition for age').  There is no support from eBay.  I think the support you actually get vs. the costs to sell on eBay are disproportionate and the whole ethos is Buyer protection and there are a lot of disingenuous buyers out there.  But you list your item, and take your chances.  

On 17/02/2018 at 23:04, Martlet said:

I'd have thought low premium generic items were the least likely to work well, simply because margin is against you with fixed cost of postage.  I'd look at modest premium semi-numismatic items that mean the VAT difference alone covers the delivery cost.  Proofs of popular/hyped issues follow this  and seem to be the best opportunity. 

Not really. First giving out free postage unless big purchase price and margin is a folly.

Second the low premium coins from gs.be still go for close enough uk retail prices because there is high demand for single cheap 1 oz silver cons. In auction I invariably get close to £19 per Brit plus postage. 

Sterling jewellery and scrap does well too if you get it cheap enough. 

I just sold a whole bunch of sterling stuff for £1.10 a gram having bought it around £0.57 a gram for example.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Where I am from I just go to LCS and get the collectible semi numismatics that these older guys who run the shops don't understand or don't care that they are worth more than Bullion, buy those ones at pretty close to spot, and flip around and sell them on eBay for the collector value. Best way to go IMO.

1 hour ago, SilverSnacker said:

Where I am from I just go to LCS and get the collectible semi numismatics that these older guys who run the shops don't understand or don't care that they are worth more than Bullion, buy those ones at pretty close to spot, and flip around and sell them on eBay for the collector value. Best way to go IMO.

If I was in the US - this would be my no1 strategy. 
In the UK we dont have many LCS and the ones we do know their prices and tend to be more expensive than retail. 

Archived