• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

JCRJM

Experimental flipping goods. Worth it??

Hi so just wanted to share my attempt at buying something and trying to flip it for profit. 

So this was my first attempt and it started well but ended in a loss sadly.

The product I tried was Frylight garlic oil. This was because through scanning some items I seen that I could buy frylight for £1.50 and it was selling for £5 on ebay. Thought this could be a good product to use continuously. 

Within 2 days the product actually sold and here is a breakdown:

Sold for: £5.00

pruchase price: £1.50

paypal fee: £0.37

ebay fee: £0.50

delivery fee: £2.90 for 2nd class

in total making a loss of: -£0.27

luckily i bought 2 and manage to sell one to my mum for £2 which is not sustainable 😂 so that meant i just turned profit. 

(I would not sell to my mum on a regular i am not a scumbag, this was a one off and i joked and she gave me the money.- just incase you thought that.)

so yeh have you guys got any experience trying this sort of thing as I don’t think i will continue as you need to add up all the costs beforehand to even attempt to break even. 

I do this on several sterling silver stuff I buy from auctions or scrap dealers. I average buying prices of £0.65 per gram and sell for around £1-1.20 

Helps me turn sterling silver into Britannias :)

Sometimes you get really lucky - I bought some silver ingot charms around 6-8 grams and then sold them for £1.50 a gram. 

25 minutes ago, austack said:

I know people who do 'drop shipping' can make a profit if you have Amazon Prime and get deals etc...

I did think about drop shipping and the idea seems like it could work well. I have seen a lot of ads for people doing it which made me think it would be quite saturated.

always worth a go :) 

45 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

I always work out - Ebay fees before buying anything if I know I am going to flip so that I know I am making something even if it is only small. Another thing is to always charge postage on top.

In future i will 100% do this. I just didnt realise the shipping would have been so dear for 2nd class small package :/

I used to make good money buying football programmes in bulk and selling the good ones individually on eBay. Then I would sell the worthless ones in bulk.

Best individual profit was about £80 for a programme that cost 10p but I would regularly double my money from the bulk buys.

The time and effort it took meant I sacked it off in the end.

51 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

Good money in selling trainers nowadays have a mate who makes a pretty good living doing it. Trainers like adidas yeezy retail for under 200 and sell from 400-1000 

I dont know a lot about shoes but I have tried to buy and sell yeezys a few times and everytime i have sat and i think the bots have won all the shoes before i refresh the page :/ 

Seems the only way with your numbers to turn a profit is to make the listing for multiple pieces. Delivery fee is the killer as that is more than half of what could be profit, but if you sell in a lot of two then you are in the black by a few squiggly L's. Get someone to buy 10 in one go and you are laughing.

3 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

Good money in selling trainers nowadays have a mate who makes a pretty good living doing it. Trainers like adidas yeezy retail for under 200 and sell from 400-1000 

Who buys these?! That’s like upto a gold ounce! 😂

55 minutes ago, Elements said:

Who buys these?! That’s like upto a gold ounce! 😂

There really easy to sell just depends some are more limited than others, i have the original yezzy belugas payed £1000 for them but they only retail for £180 some trainers like the eminem jordans go for around $30,000 its nuts some of the prices. My mate camps outside shops for certain trainers and then flips them that day to people who couldn’t cop a pair

About 10 years ago now I made insane money on Ebay selling mobile phones, Nokia N95's mainly.  I would buy 2x faulty N95s, one with a broken screen and one with any other fault but a decent screen.  I would make one fully working phone out of the two and sell it back on Ebay usually making a profit of £80. If I could get a phone that looked in really good condition I would also buy the box and accessories off Ebay for £5 just to make it look the part, this could add anything from another £20 - £60 on the price.  After a while I had enough spare phones to fix just about any problem.  On my worst week I sold 2 and on my best week 18 but usally 8-10 a week was normal.  Then phones went all sleek and complicated and I had to chuck it which made some difference to my disposable income.

I think the word used to describe people who buy and sell stuff is, which is... TRADER.

Like it or not that's what you are.

Just like any venture, there is a skill to it. You have traders who are successful and manage to turn a profit, and many who are not successful and don't make any money from it.

Edited by vand

2 hours ago, MrGeorge said:

This is the next sneaker release you want to get https://sneakernews.com/2018/02/19/sean-wotherspoon-nike-air-max-97-1-release-info/

they are selling the now on resale for around $1000 so if your lucky enough to get a pair next month on release its easy money 

Ill keep an eye out for these then and give it a try

How are people already selling these? the release date is late March so not sure how unless they are out early in the US?

Edit: Not sure these will be good to flip, they are selling at retail on eBay sold listings...

Edited by austack

36 minutes ago, austack said:

How are people already selling these? the release date is late March so not sure how unless they are out early in the US?

Edit: Not sure these will be good to flip, they are selling at retail on eBay sold listings...

The release late march is the 2nd release and do you have a link to ones sold on ebay ? I dont use ebay but there still selling for $1000 on flightclub and goat so dont think it can be the correct ones your seeing on ebay.