• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

11 minutes ago, sg86 said:

This is the fascinating part for me, so actual dies were potentially changed during use? Pure speculation or do we have any knowledge or other examples of this?

When I've been looking through different dies before I never looked for this happening. I have found an error on a die number that then exists on 4-5 others that I've seen, so just assumed all dies would be the same apart from slight wear differences

I don't think anyone really knows all facts about dies used and die numbers.

as you say you can often see the same error on several coins but maybe In extreme cases such as this, the die was replaced including the individual die number?

i have no idea if they did this, but if I were minting sovs routinely, I would do a small run of perhaps a dozen coins and check them before releasing the pair of dies for routine production. Any defective ones such as this could be melted, perhaps the odd one slipped through. You know workers do "strange" things sometimes😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I don't think anyone really knows all facts about dies used and die numbers.

as you say you can often see the same error on several coins but maybe In extreme cases such as this, the die was replaced including the individual die number?

i have no idea if they did this, but if I were minting sovs routinely, I would do a small run of perhaps a dozen coins and check them before releasing the pair of dies for routine production. Any defective ones such as this could be melted, perhaps the odd one slipped through. You know workers do "strange" things sometimes😉

Yea I'm with you, it makes things interesting, at least for me :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

2 hours ago, sg86 said:

This is the fascinating part for me, so actual dies were potentially changed during use? Pure speculation or do we have any knowledge or other examples of this?

I think it is evident: once there are too many cracks or the die breaks it gets changed. I believe to have read 50,000 +/-10,000 coins for sovereigns per die but it will also depend on the metallurgy of the die alloy and the pressure used to strike. They will have checked every bag they produced and QC in those days actually meant something more than a sticker. I guess that's why they started to introduce die numbers to see how long they actually go. 

Added 0 minutes later...

Edited by augur
The dreaded double post strikes again

5 hours ago, augur said:

I think it is evident: once there are too many cracks or the die breaks it gets changed. I believe to have read 50,000 +/-10,000 coins for sovereigns per die but it will also depend on the metallurgy of the die alloy and the pressure used to strike. They will have checked every bag they produced and QC in those days actually meant something more than a sticker. I guess that's why they started to introduce die numbers to see how long they actually go. 

Added 0 minutes later...

There is no doubt that dies only lasted so long before they were changed and the die numbers were probably introduced to check the number of strikes in the life of a die.

However, the issue is if a die was found to be faulty at the start of it's life whether a replacement would be made using the same number.

The OP notes that he has several coins with the same die number as the coin in question but without the flaw. The problem with this evidence is that the flaw is on the obverse so it wouldn't have had a die number anyway.

It would have been easy for them to change the obverse die in this case and continue to use the numbered reverse die.

It was common for one of the dies in the pair to strike many more coins than the other so they would produce more of the weaker dies to allow for this. i can't remember which one wore out quicker but I would guess the obverse as it has more relief than the reverse.

Edit: there is a report in Marsh about obverse dies at the Melbourne mint only lasting for 8000 pieces against 14000 for the reverse. This was a cause for concern as it wa a lot lower than expected.

Edited by sovereignsteve

I have this variety... 1862 R over R in Victoria, anyone else have one of these , I wouldn't mind having a look at other images of this variety.

Marsh45C

Karl

fullsizeoutput_b56.jpeg

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

• 1 month later...

Hi, yes I've seen quite a few touching the truncation like this in different years. I did record some severe ones like this as a variety. 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

On 27/07/2019 at 15:09, sg86 said:

Hi, yes I've seen quite a few touching the truncation like this in different years. I did record some severe ones like this as a variety. 

No added value then? ;) want to sell it but unsure what a fair price would be!

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

To be totally honest minor differences in dies like this I record because they are interesting and different, they are going to be rarer for sure but I'm not sure the demand for slight varieties at this point in time is great enough to increase value by much,

I do think this could change in years to come, and of course that's just my opinion :). You can definitely market it as such and see, but on a young head you're probably only looking at what 290-300 at current gold? 

The Gold Sovereign

1 hour ago, sg86 said:

To be totally honest minor differences in dies like this I record because they are interesting and different, they are going to be rarer for sure but I'm not sure the demand for slight varieties at this point in time is great enough to increase value by much,

I do think this could change in years to come, and of course that's just my opinion :). You can definitely market it as such and see, but on a young head you're probably only looking at what 290-300 at current gold? 

To be honest I am hoping for £290 on it - so lets hope so! 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

On 27 July 2019 at 14:43, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Neither have I, and I have seen hundreds...

....  if a genuine error 

Moi aussi

but yes genuine error in that it originates in die production, engraver off target when he punched the S  

4 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

No added value then? ;) want to sell it but unsure what a fair price would be!

Only added value if collectors regard as an error worth having. I've never seen one offered for sale as such. Someone needs to test the water then😉

23 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Only added value if collectors regard as an error worth having. I've never seen one offered for sale as such. Someone needs to test the water then😉

lol I just posted it for sale lets see :P 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.

I recently received this 1847 Shield Back Sovereign with the striking error on the N in Britanniarum. Anyone had a similar coin, share any insight.  See the images attached. 

QvFhIdwgSNqlGKDhCjn7Eg_thumb_125a.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f30.jpeg

Edited by 1817SovereignCollector
Image change.

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

Another new purchase of mine. Could anybody tell me if this is the ‘wide date’ variety of the 1862 sovereign? 

The wide date seems to go for a slight premium when I checked sold prices. This is my first shield back sovereign and I’m very much hoping it is. 🤔

The 2 looks a bit separate from the 6 to me but it could just be my eyes. Not the best photo, I haven’t received the coin yet.

Could you advise @sovereignsteve?

7303B70F-D489-4B5C-A51C-BECFAC03965C.jpeg

Edited by Foster88