• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

2 hours ago, sg86 said:

I've not been posting many new finds, too many to do so until I've got the time to log and photograph everything properly!

Though this is something a bit different, unrecorded of course and not something I've seen before on other dates. An inverted 1 for I in DEI

Just a shame the coin isn't nicer, it's always the way when you find a nice error that the coin isn't great!

20181012_0004_01.thumb.jpg.e53404a4de3cdc07abcc985a994c1287.jpg

anything under the G and A on gratia? or is it just shadow?

On 12/10/2018 at 10:44, sovereignsteve said:

That'll be why it hasn't been noticed before, they don't get the detailed attention from the serious collectors or auction houses.

Well there is no doubt that I am a serious collector :D however I know what you are saying. That being said finding even the "recorded" errors in EF+ is a difficult task, I would rather have errors in any condition and then improve of them if possible in the future. My goal is to create the most comprehensive list of variations primarily, condition has to come second as that's the only way unfortunately.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:40, Cornishfarmer said:

anything under the G and A on gratia? or is it just shadow?

I'll have to get the coin back out, I see it from the picture but didn't when under scope, but maybe the inverted 1 discovery meant i stopped looking :D

I've still not found another G/C in GRATIA, I love that error

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 13/10/2018 at 10:42, Ojay45 said:

Been looking over my sovereigns and I  have two that are the same date I notice one the Ts seems a bit upped to the other one in the Victoria lettering and kinda flatter. Just a st George 1871

Very few errors in the st.george reverse, off the top of my head only an 8/7 somewhere. This to me just looks like a die flaw but always difficult to tell from pictures only!

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

3 hours ago, sg86 said:

Very few errors in the st.george reverse, off the top of my head only an 8/7 somewhere. This to me just looks like a die flaw but always difficult to tell from pictures only!

Hey mate thanks for the reply more I looked at it the more it looks to me like the part of the middle of the T has melted to the top of the T somehow 😄 

Anyone have opinions on these two coins? Both in awful condition so hard to really tell what's going on, and images are bad too because I'm in a rush!

1843 - may be a 3/2, you can see the base of the 2 sticking out

20181025_0003.thumb.jpg.5cbb9bfb2a990c8fa498ebf9c1a962fe.jpg

1845 - really have no idea with this one, though it was just 5/5 but too many parts that shouldn't be there

20181025_0004.jpg.662eab4044ecdf52507189da95813fb6.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

Well I moved on from the above coins as condition just not good enough to tell.

Opinions on this 1845? 100% something under there but it's not a 4/4 as have one of those:

20181026_0001.thumb.jpg.ddc74bdf90f7d0455dbe858195afc4c4.jpg

20181026_0002.thumb.jpg.11fe32544a9bcaf26be48ba7ce8b9af2.jpg

20181026_0005.jpg.4582eb0b095cd512caf27f1b73914330.jpg

20181026_0011.jpg.d19fa7bc6a2a73f59b1bfae5b52a1e57.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2018 at 09:35, tallthinkev said:

A 1/2 Sovereign question if I may. What could be the difference, price wise, for a 1915 s v's a  'normal' Royal Mint 1915 1/2.

Wouldn't say a great deal, mintage was still approx. 1,000,000

The Gold Sovereign

• 2 weeks later...

So, sorting through a % of my Sydney only shields and found this new discovery

1875S - 1 over inverted 1

Something also to note is that this is on the raised W.W. variety so rarer in itself. Considering there are only 2 over dates recorded in the Sydney/Melbourne series I'm quite happy with this one. 

I do have quite a few newly discovered varieties in the branch mints but this is one of the better ones, just below the DFF/DEF+strange R punch used in GRATIA

IMG_20181116_123213.thumb.jpg.d5db9449cb1f975425b640ebf79a1058.jpg

IMG_20181116_134032.thumb.jpg.3cd7c542008c11905915658ecc444d23.jpgIMG_20181117_171324.jpg.99cc95f622e85ce1a09ace7819dba0de.jpg

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

On 22/11/2018 at 10:14, drakesterling said:

Does anyone have images of the 1885 over 3 half sovereign mentioned in Spink? I have an 1885 half and am having trouble deciding whether it's the overdate or not, and images on the internet are scarce.

I've attached an image of the coin I have.

Eric

Thu Nov 22 20-19-13.jpg

Not sure these with be of much help with low resolution but a few have been auctioned here:

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=158&searchlot=2092&searchtype=2

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=122&searchlot=1608&searchtype=2

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=137&searchlot=1531&searchtype=2

This might be more useful though with the NGC code visible so can see it on NGC’s website

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=515777

16 hours ago, xthomasx said:

Just for everyone's info:

There has been a 'narrow shield' sovereign up for auction earlier this month. Sold for 5000€ net.

https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=5312&category=167138&lot=4438685

With a zero less, I would have bid  :lol:

It was the first 'narrow shield' that I ever saw in an auction.

It's the widest "narrow shield" I've ever seen.

Eric

5 minutes ago, drakesterling said:

It's the widest "narrow shield" I've ever seen.

Eric

Eric, I guess all of our Shield Sovereigns are “Narrow Shields”, given that Sov in auction! 😁...wonder what a “Really Narrow Shield” might look like.

On 30/11/2018 at 11:55, xthomasx said:

Just for everyone's info:

There has been a 'narrow shield' sovereign up for auction earlier this month. Sold for 5000€ net.

https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=5312&category=167138&lot=4438685

With a zero less, I would have bid  :lol:

It was the first 'narrow shield' that I ever saw in an auction.

That's just an awful mistake, the even more worrying thing is people who bid 5k for something they clearly know nothing about.... 

I think my narrow shield cost me around 7k

The Gold Sovereign