• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

**February/March 2018** Group order from GoldSilver.be

BackyardBullion

@swAgger same here in Austria, door to door tracking and the parcel was delivered via our postal service. So no problem I wasn't at home, I was able to pick it up from our post office :)

The communication was very short and simple as one item had a 2 week delay and I was just informed after I asked about delivery.

It seems to be true that the cheapest is not always the best and the best not always the cheapest ;)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Foolssilver said:

A conversation had developed in the thread about postage costs from GS.BE and there was a post about the Euro Mint and what the feedback on the first order through them. My point was that the cost of postage did not compete with the alternative providers. 

I get that but if there was one thing BYB exhaustively explained about in advance it was the shipping cost, and how that was taken into account in balance with other factors in deciding upon the order provider.

So I don't see that as constructive feedback, in fact I think it's rude to BYB after all the time he took to patiently and very carefully explain (in his own time so at his own cost, for our benefit) that very point before anyone ordered anything.

3 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Apologies for changing the topic but is this order still open for people to join in?

This is my first time participating, is there a minimum order amount?

Cheers

Yes the order is still open. But we can only sort it out over the weekend (when I have time to make sure everything is all OK). 

No minimum order, just message me with your shopping list (with hyperlinks please) and we can sort it out.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

4 minutes ago, Jeffers46 said:

Apologies for changing the topic but is this order still open for people to join in?

This is my first time participating, is there a minimum order amount?

It's open until about mid march and minimum spend is one item/coin

Also - I just want to give everyone an update regarding one of my nemeses...

CAPSULES!

The first time I did this order I allowed capsules to be ordered - but they came loose and it was VERY hard to tell which one was what size. So much so I put a capsule embargo on all future orders. 

However...

This order I will allow the ordering of the Queens Beast 2 oz Capsules ONLY. As the 2 oz bull is going to be a very commonly ordered item it makes sense to order the capsules too. Mrs BYB and I will even put the coin in the capsule for you at no extra cost!

So, if you want them let me know!

8 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I get that but if there was one thing BYB exhaustively explained about in advance it was the shipping cost, and how that was taken into account in balance with other factors in deciding upon the order provider.

So I don't see that as constructive feedback, in fact I think it's rude to BYB after all the time he took to patiently and very carefully explain (in his own time so at his own cost, for our benefit) that very point before anyone ordered anything.

I don't think he was finding fault with your group order or the good job byb does for all involved. Everyone in that group order knew the story with delivery costs and went into it willingly, including @Foolssilver. He said that at some point. The feedback he is giving is a general one on shipping costs from the European Mint when compared to others. I found it a very relevant point, for my location.

I made a post earlier about the delivery method from GS to here in Ireland. Delivery method and time is very good, and it seems for other countries too. Because our packages are managed by our national carrier. We hear a lot on here about is how dreadful delivery from GS is, but that is in the UK. It's a local issue. GS as a company are for certain lacking in customer care but i can't fault delivery method. The UK problem is with the couriers who take over the delivery at your end. Do GS engage them directly? I doubt that. In other countries the national postal service takes it on when it hits their territory. For whatever reason, Royal mail will not. In terms of saying GS delivery is brutal, that is not so European-wide.

So to get back to why i agree with foolssilver point, for me - paying the European mint shipping rates for a fedex service is a no-go, and while next day delivery is all very well i simply don't require or need that. Quite happy to let it take 4/5 days, and order with confidence from not just GS but many other dealers in Europe whose deliveries end up going through my reliable postal service.

For you guys in the UK it is certainly a different scenario and you are needing to pay more for this type of delivery if you want to avoid the less reliable couriers. Why are your Royal mail not doing what other postal services are willing to do, is more the question.

12 minutes ago, swAgger said:

For you guys in the UK it is certainly a different scenario and you are needing to pay more for this type of delivery if you want to avoid the less reliable couriers. Why are your Royal mail not doing what other postal services are willing to do, is more the question.

Sorry for snipping your post as I found it all very interesting and informative, so thanks! I'm just quoting this part because I think the point remains - something BYB flagged up carefully before anyone made any orders can not then (imho) be offered as 'feedback' on the order. The UK postal service is nothing to do with BYB and he arranges things as best he can, and I know puts an awful lot of thought into it (as well as effort). If folk want to criticise the UK postal service that's a valid topic but nothing to do with BYB and I'm not sure why it's even being raised on this thread.

9 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Sorry for snipping your post as I found it all very interesting and informative, so thanks! I'm just quoting this part because I think the point remains - something BYB flagged up carefully before anyone made any orders can not then (imho) be offered as 'feedback' on the order. The UK postal service is nothing to do with BYB and he arranges things as best he can, and I know puts an awful lot of thought into it (as well as effort). If folk want to criticise the UK postal service that's a valid topic but nothing to do with BYB and I'm not sure why it's even being raised on this thread.

Ok, i didn't think byb was ruling out any feedback on the shipping costs. As for why i went into this whole area on this thread, i thought it related because he often made the point he didn't like or have great confidence in GS delivery method, and was leaning in favour of the European mints more expensive but reliable method. My point then being it isn't actually GS who are at the root fault for UK order deliveries.

2 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Ok, i didn't think byb was ruling out any feedback on the shipping costs. As for why i went into this whole area on this thread, i thought it related because he often made the point he didn't like or have great confidence in GS delivery method, and was leaning in favour of the European mints more expensive but reliable method. My point then being it isn't actually GS who are at the root fault for UK order deliveries.

No, I don't think he ruled it out so it's a valid point to an extent I think. I may be wrong in doing so (and if so I'm sorry to all) but I'm putting myself in his shoes (so to speak) and thinking 'OK, I ask for feedback, but the only negative I have seen so far is about something I told people about before they ordered'.

If you're not happy with the terms of something laid out in front of you then don't sign up, simple! Feedback to me would be things like 'this wasn't packaged too well' or 'some of my coins were milky upon arrival'. NOT 'the postage which you explained carefully beforehand was going to be a little more turned out to be a little more'.

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

No, I don't think he ruled it out so it's a valid point to an extent I think. I may be wrong in doing so (and if so I'm sorry to all) but I'm putting myself in his shoes (so to speak) and thinking 'OK, I ask for feedback, but the only negative I have seen so far is about something I told people about before they ordered'.

If you're not happy with the terms of something laid out in front of you then don't sign up, simple! Feedback to me would be things like 'this wasn't packaged too well' or 'some of my coins were milky upon arrival'. NOT 'the postage which you explained carefully beforehand was going to be a little more turned out to be a little more'.

Fair enough - keep it specific to the order as received by the group members. And really, me going into the root causes for why GS orders are troublesome when they seem to reach UK shores, is of no help! :) It is what it is, eh?

13 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Fair enough - keep it specific to the order as received by the group members. And really, me going into the root causes for why GS orders are troublesome when they seem to reach UK shores, is of no help! :) It is what it is, eh?

It's very interesting as I never heard the unique problems of orders from them to the UK before, so many thanks for explaining :) To my mind it's not really the thread for that, but interesting and informative stuff often pops up in the most unexpected places, and it all dovetails together really doesn't it? The more we all know and understand how companies and shipping etc work the better for all of us!

Funnily enough, in the middle of typing I've just taken delivery of my first ever (solo) order from GS. Just about to open! I'm a bit worried about it given some of the things I've heard, but I guess I'll see soon :unsure:

21 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Funnily enough, in the middle of typing I've just taken delivery of my first ever (solo) order from GS. Just about to open! I'm a bit worried about it given some of the things I've heard, but I guess I'll see soon :unsure:

We need pictures... :D

30 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

We need pictures... :D

That's what @fehk2001 always asks me for but (cough, cough!) anyway...

Fast delivery, cannot fault that. Dispatched on Monday, received today.

Two loose Athenian Owls (in baggies) are quite badly dinged around the edges. A tube of Owls (my first) is sealed but lots of space to rattle around, and it sounds like they are/have been :(

Two loose Perth Mint dragon coinbars came in baggies not so dinged (not in the Perth Mint flips they sell singles in though) so obviously taken from tubes. Love the reverse, not so sold on the obverse. Interesting though! Also a sealed tube and these seem absolutely 'locked in' the tube so hopefully a good condition on those.

Now forgive me, was I moaning about taking this thread off-topic?!! :wacko: :D

(Sorry BYB!)

I think I’m going to give up trying to explain my point here. It was well intentioned and was relating to which suppliers to consider for future orders rather than being a criticism of the costs (which were explained for previous orders)

clearly this his has been lost in translation with at least one forum member. 

No no offence was intended. I’ll put up or shut up ? 

@Foolssilver I've read the whole thread again and BYB did ask for all feedback, and thanked you for yours, so while I feel strongly about the issue it's his call and it's anyway an open forum, folk can and should speak freely. As you say you are well intentioned, and I apologise if I've come across as a bit of a tool (I do at times I'm afraid, you'll get used to that :wacko:). We all want the best and most successful group orders in the future so as long as we're all working towards that (which was why BYB asked) all's good :)

OK having a closer look at the loose coins in baggies in the sunlight from Goldsilver gives me a chance to offer comparative feedback for European Mint.

I was surprised that some of the baggies the coins were in from the European Mint order were a bit torn and ragged. I don't know if they were sent out like that (?) or at what point they might have got damaged. However the coins (6 loose) were all fine. I could happily sell these on.

4 loose coins in baggies from Goldsilver and all have dings. The two Perth barcoin dragons have dings in the exact same place, and small marks in the same area, so that may be an issue with the tube they came from (?). One Athenian Owl has a mark on it I cannot begin to imagine how it was made. It's like someone took a (dirty) scourer to it and gently brushed it across part of the field and onto the owl. I would only sell on one of these coins, with very clear photos so the buyer should pick up the dings on the rim.

Yes it's just cheap bullion, but I would rather pay a bit extra for it to arrive in the best condition, which I suppose partly comes back to the postage again lol.

Just now, sworks said:

Does anyone have any experience ordering a 500 oz monster box from GS?
Any experience on lead times for Eagles / Britania?

Prices are very competitive!

@mr-dead I think just took delivery of one from them

5 minutes ago, sworks said:

Does anyone have any experience ordering a 500 oz monster box from GS?
Any experience on lead times for Eagles / Britania?

Prices are very competitive!

@sworks Just took delivery of Britannia monster box

No issues apart from the package being stuck in France for 3 days due to snow grounding aircraft.

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

@mr-dead I think just took delivery of one from them

Thanks for all of your efforts on this forum and youtube BYB, much appreciated. I will support your efforts here when I am looking to place smaller orders.

Ive taken delivery of a few monster boxes off GS from my pre-order sales. Ive never had an issue with them, Usually they are sealed by the mint and sent intact. Like Mr-Dead they took around 3 or 4 days from start to finish.

Saying that, I am wanting to put in an order for a monster box of brits sooner rather than later, I think the europeanmint is cheaper, even with courier costs when you buy a monster box, last time I checked the saving was over 100 pound. 

Hey All, im new to buying silver and and never brought before. I just want to buy 0.999 pure silver as close to spot as possable. I was going to order the below item becuase its the cheapest I can find vs weight.

Would there be any reason agaist buying this coin purly for is silver content or should I be looking at different coins for a first time buy?

https://goldsilver.be/en/coins/1692-1-oz-silver-niue-athenian-owl-2018.html

7 minutes ago, ColourSilver said:

Hey All, im new to buying silver and and never brought before. I just want to buy 0.999 pure silver as close to spot as possable. I was going to order the below item becuase its the cheapest I can find vs weight.

Would there be any reason agaist buying this coin purly for is silver content or should I be looking at different coins for a first time buy?

https://goldsilver.be/en/coins/1692-1-oz-silver-niue-athenian-owl-2018.html

Few questions .....

How much are you looking to buy?

How long do you want to hold onto it?

Archived