• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Engelhard or JM

Platinumskies

5 hours ago, Platinumskies said:

Too much but thanks anyway guys

Not posting this with any kind of agenda excepting I could offer the opportunity to buy some 1oz Johnson Matthey bars in low quantity for a very similar price as @Gilver &  @Webster

Don't know about 'too much', maybe it would be better phrased as not what you wish to pay,   but its your post and you did ask for opportunity to buy from Forum members, and conveniently for you, @Webster & @Gilver went to the trouble of responding, bet they are not making anything on them.  

Personally, my observations and opinion of 1oz Engelhard/ JM prices on well known auction sites, and given that Engelhard bars are not manufactured anymore and sought after, then I think £21quid an ounce is about right, or at least a good starting point for negotiation.  Don't think you'll pick these up in ones or two's or even much bigger bars for much less an ounce.  

To provide an example, I travelled a reasonable distance to an auction house today, not a nice drive on my day off in the pouring rain, to specifically try and buy a 1Kg Engelhard bar.   It was a beauty, and came in a nice wooden box and having researched it, it was of a very low mintage and the dearth of sales doesn't give an accurate price guide.  I was unsuccessful, and it achieved over £650 + the dreaded buyers premium of near 25% inc. VAT on buyers premium, making it a tad short of £800 or around £25 an ounce in the Kilo quantity, all in.   I was out at a bid of £600, so the very near underbidder.  Bet the proud owner will talk himself into him getting a bargain today.  Meanwhile, I'll Probably kick myself in years to come, but hey-ho we all have a price in mind/ and limited funds available when it comes to buying anything. 

I guess it might be mindful for me to note, and perhaps you and others, that If you factor in today, my time, effort, fuel and the rotten sandwich & coffee I bought at the saleroom today, then I should factor these expenses into my purchase when I actually become successful in buying and owning a 1Kg Engelhard bar.   But I'll probably, and conveniently forget these expenses as I punch the air when successful at a price I wish to pay.   But I will have probably already spent a considerable amount of time, effort and money chasing the 1kg Engelhard in the end, so you could argue, I should have simply put myself out of my misery today!  

At least at £21 an ounce, for the thing you want, the only other cost to factor into a Forum 'wanted' post, would be a very small proportion of your membership fee, a bit of wear and tear on the old keyboard as well as a tiny amount of bandwidth.  Thank the lord for the Internet! and Special Delivery!  

We either forget if your as old as me, or might ask 'whats a saleroom' if your young, but I'm old enough to remember having to actually take time to travel to Auction Houses or buy newspapers or subscribe to posted physical auction catalogues, usually lacking photos,  just to see whats for sale, never mind viewing or going along, on the day to bid for an item.  Today, it reminded me.  

Guess what I'm trying to say is this, don't be like me, and let the odd quid an ounce lead to you kicking yourself later with 'what if' ! and 'I nearly bought one of them'!, particularly if its something you really want, and it doesn't actually cost you anything much to physically buy it.  The item might cost you far more in the longer term.

As a footnote, if you come across any/ or lots of 1kg Engelhard bars at £21 an ounce, please give me a shout if you don't want them.       

Archived