• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Insurance against theft for pms.

Hi I have the correct insurance coverage as my mum phoned up to check but how do all of you store back ups and what do you store to make sure if theft happened you would be able to recover the loses. Today I have went through and found all my receipts and re-printed any missing. I have also took a picture of each item and paired it with the receipt. Is the best you can do to prove to the insurance if your pms were ever stolen?

Any info would be helpful. Thank you. 

Have you had a search on the forum for 'insurance' mate? This came up a month or two back. It sounds like you've taken all the sensible precautions that come to mind but iirc on that thread folk said some insurers require certain levels of security (safes and whatnot) and that many either have capped limits or don't insure. I seem to recall someone recommending AXA (so maybe useful to do a forum search for that).

I hope I'm not too wrong but that's what I remember, hope it may help a bit before others chime in :)

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Have you had a search on the forum for 'insurance' mate? This came up a month or two back. It sounds like you've taken all the sensible precautions that come to mind but iirc on that thread folk said some insurers require certain levels of security (safes and whatnot) and that many either have capped limits or don't insure. I seem to recall someone recommending AXA (so maybe useful to do a forum search for that).

I hope I'm not too wrong but that's what I remember, hope it may help a bit before others chime in :)

I think I remember seeing that thread I will search for it cheers mate. Just trying to get everything in order now because for so long I havent held any account for any of my purchases which probably wasnt my best move :)) 

14 minutes ago, JCRJM said:

I think I remember seeing that thread I will search for it cheers mate. Just trying to get everything in order now because for so long I havent held any account for any of my purchases which probably wasnt my best move :)) 

Not a bad plan at all mate, hopefully others will chime in as well on here, or it might be worth bumping the old thread when you find it (AXA might be the quickest way to search) :)

I'm lucky enough to have a few properties (in the family) to spread mine out over. I haven't bothered checking some of those insurances tbh but feel fairly confident in them all e.g. I can't see too much risk with bulk bullion buried in gardens or at the bottom of stacks of rusty old tools in a garage and whatnot. But our circumstances all differ so definitely better safe than sorry :)

<edit> Don't forget to leave a treasure map though :P

2 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Always wondered if it would be worth using smartwater on coins to give them a forensic fingerprint linked to you.

Just looking it up there had never heard of smart water. That would be pretty genius if all of your pms had that on them. My biggest worry was thinking even if I have all the receipts and pictures how would the insurance know I actually still owned them all? Or would they just take your word with those documents?

How about urine? It has your unique stem cell fingerprint and seems to work well for cats and other mammals?

OK it's not the best bet for decent silver, but for Brits, Maples etc it can hardly do the coins any worse than they are already, can it?

I wouldn't go to the trouble and waste the money on insurance, buy a good safe, hide it well and tell no one, I have two safes, one with nothing in but books that's under my bed and another safe very well hidden, will take a good 30 mins to even see it..... :P

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

1 minute ago, austack said:

I wouldn't go to the trouble and waste the money on insurance, buy a good safe, hide it well and tell no one, I have two safes, one with nothing in but books that's under my bed and another safe very well hidden, will take a good 30 mins to even see it..... :P

That sounds good i currently just have one that was pretty cheap. I like that decoy safe idea :))

Just now, JCRJM said:

That sounds good i currently just have one that was pretty cheap. I like that decoy safe idea :))

Yeah my 'decoy' safe is not an expensive one, I would like to think they will waste some time on that.. only to find some books and a nicely written message from me.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

If you're going to have a decoy safe are you not better having a little something of value in it? That way if it's opened the scum will move on rather than look for your real one or alternatively, beating the terrible out of you till you tell them where it is.

It's worth checking with your insurer, when I did I found I needed a rated safe to be covered, at least if something happens to mine I'll be compensated. Receipts and pics are handy too but at least if it's declared on your insurance your covered for not just theft but anything else.

4 hours ago, Mariner1961 said:

If you're going to have a decoy safe are you not better having a little something of value in it? That way if it's opened the scum will move on rather than look for your real one or alternatively, beating the terrible out of you till you tell them where it is.

Yeah I would put some junk in there - or even chinese fakes. If they think they scored they wont bother looking for anything else. 

My obvious hidey holes have plated stuff and bags of copper pennies so I look like a mad hoarder lol.  

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

26 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Yeah I would put some junk in there - or even chinese fakes. If they think they scored they wont bother looking for anything else. 

My obvious hidey holes have plated stuff and bags of copper pennies so I look like a mad hoarder lol.  

IMG_20180209_091129876.thumb.jpg.f45d5136b033a2f5fe0f196865846b6d.jpg

Maybe hide gold coins in a dish of loose euro change?

9 hours ago, Mariner1961 said:

It's worth checking with your insurer, when I did I found I needed a rated safe to be covered, at least if something happens to mine I'll be compensated. Receipts and pics are handy too but at least if it's declared on your insurance your covered for not just theft but anything else.

4 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Yeh I was thinking fake gold bars might come in handy for once :)) Theyll think theyve won the lottery. 

I feel a decoy safe is a danger, the way some are thinking of using it. Yes it's satisfying to think of burglars wasting their time. Is it not more likely that placing a decoy in your home tells a story to the scum who have entered your home. They do this a lot, and have seen a lot. People who have nothing hidden do not install diversions. You are telling them you have a real haul well hidden somewhere else. Placing nonsense items or fake PM or taunting notes inside gets you remembered, might only get them thinking later about why, or even get them angry,  and elevate what was an opportunist break-in into potentially something more personal, and worth re-visiting you in the future to locate the real stash. Except the next time intentionally while you and/or your family are home.

You must have your safe very well hidden in the first place to consider the decoy idea, in which case why run the risk of a decoy. I don't buy the idea a decoy will stop them turning over the whole house. OR you carry on with the decoy but you must put a sizeable enough quantity of genuine PM's and cash inside to be believable. Weigh up an unfortunate 20% loss of your full stash in an "in/out-nothing personal-opportunistic" raid against the dangers of something much worse developing.

For a lot of others whose house doesn't allow for a perfectly hidden safe, all you can do is invest in the highest rated one you can afford. Even then don't put all your eggs in one basket, and keep some things in other places. And lastly, if that unfortunate day comes and you have been burgled, and if your rated safe did do its job and they were unable to force it open, i would move all the stash off the property for an extended time.

Like everyone here, i have spent time thinking about the "what ifs". It's possible i am a bit OTT and maybe give the scum out there too much credit for being more clever or daring than they actually are. But i do think it's a mistake to under estimate the nastiness of some out there, or poke them with a stick at the same time.

9 hours ago, Lowlow said:

Just my opinion .. but the best insurance is not letting anyone know you have it, and making sure it isn't easy for them to find it on their own.

I don't have any valuables and certainly no interest in gold or silver whatsoever, I only joined this place because I thought it was a knitting forum :ph34r:

Archived