• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Rectangular Bullion Coin

JohnA

On 2/15/2018 at 09:54, kimchi said:

Well mine have certainly been knocking around already and I only got them yesterday :(  Many thanks for the offer - much appreciated, very kind of you :)

Here's the pic bud. There is absolutely no extra 'give' in the tube, so the only genuine reason I can think of that Goldsilver put their own cheap nasty tape over the top (the green stuff you can see residue from - terrible smell, glad I got that chemical stuff away from the coins at least) is that they noticed the Mint tape wasn't necessarily secure. I have my own theories and am not planning to open the tube yet, all input welcome :)

You can clearly see one line of Mint security tape running up vertically, stopping where the tube meets the cap. Then another (separate) tape over the top of it slightly diagonally from right to left. It's not the same tape doubled over - it's a different section - anyone know if Mints might do this?:

Perth dragon coinbar.jpg

Somebody mentioned on a different thread that Eva licks every piece of silver and gold to test its authenticity. Seems that she does it all. Very talented lady for sure. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally cracked open my tube from last month from Golsilver.be today. It was clearly them who opened it as a Mint would not seal a tube and then open it again (without applying fresh and un-interfered with tape seal). The reason appears to be they put a bit of padding in the top before sending (shame they didn't do the same with the Athenian Owls!) but the results were no better than the singles I've had - a full tube of dinged and knocked examples.

If I ever see one of these at MS70 I will fall off my chair - what an absolute balls up from Perth of all mints.

4 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

Here is MCM graded MS 70. The slab they use is large and it doesn't look too great. Maybe NGC will design a better slab for bars in the future.

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-p-australia-1-oz-silver-dragon-1-coin-ngc-ms70-er.html

Untitled.jpg

At least it's a 70 (don't trust MCM and the grading relationship myself, but heigh ho)...I have never seen such poor quality from Perth Mint before, these are shocking imho.

P.S. /Fallen off my chair :P

@kimchi

Yeah, my raw bar from Apmex had a problem on the face side. I just ordered one of the MS 70's ...why I don't know :D I just have a feeling we'll see more of this shape from Perth and I want to get a nice copy of the first. MCM must have combed through a LOT of Monster Boxes to pick out the 70's

I think this little blemish is in the production. The rest of the coin seems ok...the bad lighting makes it look discolored in other areas.

Untitled.jpg

28 minutes ago, kimchi said:

(don't trust MCM and the grading relationship myself, but heigh ho).. .

Oh..I didn't realize that they are next door neighbors. Is MCM a subsidiary of NGC?

Untitled.jpg

10 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

Oh..I didn't realize that they are next door neighbors. Is MCM a subsidiary of NGC?

Untitled.jpg

Yep, just a stroll up the road...no vested interests there I am sure LOL.

The 22 I have look like they've been deliberately ****ed up, if I were being cynical, because it looks like machine damage. Whatever, very bad form from Perth imvho.

Still, nice pick up on the 70 (as long as it didn't cost you too much), really pleased for you - you could do well out of a (very?) rare good example :)

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

I finally cracked open my tube from last month from Golsilver.be today. It was clearly them who opened it as a Mint would not seal a tube and then open it again (without applying fresh and un-interfered with tape seal). The reason appears to be they put a bit of padding in the top before sending (shame they didn't do the same with the Athenian Owls!) but the results were no better than the singles I've had - a full tube of dinged and knocked examples.

If I ever see one of these at MS70 I will fall off my chair - what an absolute balls up from Perth of all mints.

Dam. I am sorry to hear that. I guess i can expect the same then. Mine are still on a combined order, will probably wrap it up soon and then i'll have a close look at mine. Tbh i was hoping for the best, but ready for them not to be. I wish Perth had capsuled these. :(

Oh, that reminds me, i added what GSbe are claiming to be the perfect fit capsule for these, to try it out (assuming it's the Perth one they use on their rectangular proofs). It might come in handy if i manage to find just one perfect coin in the tube! Ever the optimist :)

@JohnAnsink wow that's a result on the grade! Such a huge slab though like you say, but you got a deal :)

Do you buy something everyday btw lol?

1 hour ago, RoughDog said:

What size is this?  It looks huge for 1oz.

It's an Oz and is certainly a strange one. It's like a reverse TARDIS - bigger on the outside :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Got delivery from GSbe and, as with @kimchi, tube had original seal cut and taped back over. Went through the tube and pleasantly surprised not to find any dings or knocks or scratches. Just the usual rubbing of the frosted area on the rims where the coins meet. Did find a perfect one though, no frost rubbed, which i was hoping for, to go into the capsule i got from GS as well.

The capsule is indeed the original Perth type they use for their rectangular proofs. Great quality, no movement inside. Nice nug * fit. Given the rubbing on the rims of most coins, i don't see any point in capsuling the rest. They can stay in the tube.

But i do have what i wanted - a nice one capsuled to go alongside the gold. yay!

pmdr1.JPG.7f73f1ea0a633504f80d6e4fb6f85201.JPG

pmdr2.JPG.836ee282ec42880ed9886a4dd5646ff0.JPG

pmdr3.JPG.44c295a4d6eb3d7c2436a59875569180.JPG

pmdr4.JPG.b0eb4fb96d85035f5588f17b606f5c4f.JPG

Edit: "snug" obviously, not "nug". I think a nug is what a dyslexic bank robber writes on the note he slips to a teller?

@swAgger Perth Mint missed the big trick on these not encapsulating them and keeping them up to the standards of the Kooks etc imho, but very glad you got what you hoped for, and a lovely silver and (especially lush!) gold there, you must be very happy!

If this is the start of a set and with those two examples you are laughing (especially considering the state of many of the silver)! :)

55 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@swAgger Perth Mint missed the big trick on these not encapsulating them and keeping them up to the standards of the Kooks etc imho, but very glad you got what you hoped for, and a lovely silver and (especially lush!) gold there, you must be very happy!

If this is the start of a set and with those two examples you are laughing (especially considering the state of many of the silver)! :)

Many thanks - yes, very pleased with those two. My expectations for the silver were low, the more reports in this thread went, and one perfect out of twenty is poor. In a way, the fact that the vast majority of the mintage will likely have some degree of rubbing along the rims eases the disappointment that these weren't given the best chance by Perth and capsuled at the mint (give them the kook treatment, as you said). It means the silver will be expected in that condition and be the norm, though. Different if they should have been immaculate, and we got dud ones instead.

I am finding myself wondering about other solutions, though. Been reading with interest @Pete 's thread on buffing the surfaces. I'm thinking these dragons could be candidates for some experimenting, as it's just the rims that could do with a light treatment/buffing. The design field of the dragon itself is fine - or at least i haven't seen any in my lot that are marked within the rectangle.

I have a feeling that if Perth continue this next year, the design will stay the same, just a date change. I would love to be wrong, though, and see a Phoenix next.

58 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

@swAgger 

Can I order the capsule for silver bar somewhere?

yes, GSbe. They are not a cheap capsule though. As these aren't Perth's top-tier silver bullion, i wouldn't bother with many. For me, just for that single coin for the collection.

Archived