• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Rectangular Bullion Coin

JohnA

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, fehk2001 said:

You can grade multi- coins into same slabs as well 

12 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Really like the gold especially.

Where did you buy from @KevinJam if you don't mind sharing, and how's the condition on the silver?

Yup!

Aw thats decent then. Think a gold one of these in a slab would look great! At first I wasnt sure but the more i look at it i want a few ?

2 hours ago, JohnAnsink said:

Ah...here is our capsule

Also I see Apmex has a capsule slightly bigger for their plain silver bars

https://www.apmex.com/product/966/air-tite-holder-direct-fit-1-oz-silver-bar

I suspect these are a case of "making do" with what's available, the standard airtite. @Martlet has hit the nail on the head - Perth are most likely using their standard blanks (47.6 x 27.6 x 3mm). So apart from the airtite being a bit longer and wider, the inside depth of 2.49 means it also won't fully close over the Perth bar.

I'll be holding off on buying capsules, i think. Just not happy unless a perfect fit. As an extra they cost enough, after all. Will be leaving the bars tubed. If i do decide to make do with the airtite at some stage though, the best deal i found was 25 of those airtites including shipping from the states for $26.07 total. Pretty decent.

My main wish is that your prediction of the lunar 3 being in this bar form, will happen. It's very possible. Then it would be easy to buy these custom size capsules individually. They do need to come up with a fresh "look" and feel for the 3rd series, after all. Won't be easy to come up with a distinctively fresh look on the third lunar merry-go-round, and a rectangular series would solve that. Breathe new life and interest into it, too. I would like it a lot.

Did you recently get your crystal ball calibrated? :D  (i'm too tight to pay for mine to be done)

In reply to the questions earlier:- 

Kimchi 

I purchased the coins direct from the Perth Mint. I placed the order last week (Friday) over the phone and once payment cleared received an email and collected them from the Perth Mint bullion team (note I live in Perth).

I understand they can also be ordered online however the countries they supply to are very limited (not UK and USA).

The silver coins can be bought either in a Perth Mint plastic flip (only the individual price) or in tubes. The coin in the photos came in the plastic flip and I am very happy with the condition. No issues.

saAgger

Sorry I don't have calapers but did measure it with a measuring tape. I have downloaded a photo below, it looks to be to be 3mm. 

I have also included a photo of the silver next to the gold. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

1 hour ago, KevinJam said:

Sorry I don't have calapers but did measure it with a measuring tape. I have downloaded a photo below, it looks to be 3mm

I have also included a photo of the silver next to the gold.

Yes, spot on. Thanks very much for doing that, good to know.

The silver and gold look great side by side.

No worries kinchi.

In reply to some of the other recent posts I really like both coins and I have bought two of the gold coins (mintage 25,000) and think (hope) they will do well. The Perth Mint's flagship 1oz gold coin is the Lunar series which had a mintage of 30,000 and apparently (as advised by one of the Perth Mint staff) sold out within a couple of weeks. 

I have bought a tube of 20 of the silver and one silver as a single in the Perth Mint flip. Mintage on these is 500,000 so I am less optimistic on these as there are so many of them. But they are still a new kind of coin for the Perth Mint so let's all see. 

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

22 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Two loose Perth Mint dragon coinbars came in baggies not so dinged (not in the Perth Mint flips they sell singles in though) so obviously taken from tubes. Love the reverse, not so sold on the obverse. Interesting though! Also a sealed tube and these seem absolutely 'locked in' the tube so hopefully a good condition on those.

@kimchi thought i would comment on your GS.be delivery here.

I'm surprised they had these already in stock. I'm glad to hear the tube has a solid not-much-rattle feel to it. I went for a tube too, but having them store as a combined order for the moment. Glad i did too because i will definitely be adding the Space Invaders lenticular coin (fond memories). And maybe the Maple leaf incused.

I was hoping someone is going to try out the capsule they are listing as a fit for the dragon bar, and tell us the results.

6 minutes ago, swAgger said:

@kimchi thought i would comment on your GS.be delivery here.

I'm surprised they had these already in stock. I'm glad to hear the tube has a solid not-much-rattle feel to it. I went for a tube too, but having them store as a combined order for the moment. Glad i did too because i will definitely be adding the Space Invaders lenticular coin (fond memories). And maybe the Maple leaf incused.

I was hoping someone is going to try out the capsule they are listing as a fit for the dragon bar, and tell us the results.

I was surprised too, it was faster than expected!

There is barely any movement whatsoever in the (sealed) tube, I think you will be very impressed there :)

Why other mints don't do this this I do not know...

@JohnAnsink I think posted on the coin thread for this one that Apmex aren't aware of any caps for these ones yet, but I'm looking forward very much to someone finding one!

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I was surprised too, it was faster than expected!

There is barely any movement whatsoever in the (sealed) tube, I think you will be very impressed there :)

Why other mints don't do this this I do not know...

@JohnAnsink I think posted on the coin thread for this one that Apmex aren't aware of any caps for these ones yet, but I'm looking forward very much to someone finding one!

I guess these fit...they are advertised as for the Perth Bars...so we should be able to get them other places, hopefully USA

https://goldsilver.be/en/capsules/1704-rectangular-ag-capsule-47x27mm-for-1-oz-silver-dragon-bar-perth-mint-.html

55 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

I guess these fit...they are advertised as for the Perth Bars...so we should be able to get them other places, hopefully USA

https://goldsilver.be/en/capsules/1704-rectangular-ag-capsule-47x27mm-for-1-oz-silver-dragon-bar-perth-mint-.html

Yes that's the one. I think i'll add one to the order out of curiosity, but it'll be a few weeks yet before i get delivery.

As big a believer in capsuling as i am, i'm not so sure i would want to capsule all 20 at €1.09 per, though.

I have no intention of placing these in a capsule as they say they come in sealed plastic from APMEX. I'll have them by Saturday the soonest and post some photos of them when they arrive. If it's that shrink wrapped stuff that other dealers send out I will be happy to keep it in there. I will give them a quick look and then into the safe to probably never be looked at again unless comparing to future years (fingers crossed).

Looking at my two loose ones they both have slight dings in the ring in the exact same spot, and small marks in the same area (the front bottom 10% of the coin). I'm thinking they came from a bad tube (or perhaps rather a tube of bad ones) - ?

Archived