• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Heroes of Silver: The Kookaburra

Part 6 in the series, and now that the mere bullion is out of the way, it's time to get classy. Oh no, wait, we're off to Australia. Just kidding of course; the Perth mint certainly don't muck about when it comes to producing top quality silver coins and arguably the most famous is their long-running Kookaburra series.

Co90Btd.jpg
2014 Kookaburra - designer unknown. Note the P Mintmark on the reverse.

Despite once being a subsidiary of Britain's Royal Mint, the Perth Mint has been fully independent to produce investment bullion since 1987 and could teach it's elderly relative (and others) a thing or two about producing coins. You'll not see too many milk spots or production damage like scratches on these little beauties. Each "kook" features crisp proof-like frosting contrasting with mirror-finished detail, and comes in it's own flush-fitting capsule as well. So, they're nicely made and well presented, but that isn't what has made it such a special collectible.

Since it's introduction in 1990 this coin has featured a new reverse design every single year. Many other coins claim to have changing designs but have sometimes re-used a previous one. Not so the Kookaburra. although no individual artist is credited with the ever-changing sculptures, each year's design is totally unique, showing the distinctive Australian bird either in flight or in it's natural habitat. The obverse has only seen one major change, with the original Raphael Maklouf portait of Queen Elizabeth II replaced by Ian Rank-Broadley's updated and familiar design in 1999.

Production has been especially limited, with maximum mintages (for the 1oz coin) of 300,000 each year, until a generous increase to 500,000 in 2010 which will likely continue for the foreseeable future. This is still dwarfed by the mintages on other popular bullion issues: Half a million Kookaburras still pales in comparison to 40m US Eagles. One year that became slightly easier to get hold of was 1992. The initial production had been some 100,000 coins short of the stated limit, and so (based on dealer demand) it was decided to re-mint up to the 300,000 maximum, which predictably caused quite a controversy amongst collectors worried about their precious premiums. Allegedly such re-minting happened for other years as well, but never exceeding the overall mintage limits, which are quite strict as it is.

In addition to the relative scarcity, the other aspect that makes these coins sought after is the ability to create interesting sets: the coins come in a range of sizes in addition to the standard 1oz, (2oz, 5oz, 10oz and 1kg, minted according to demand) and shapes. Yes thats right, different shapes. Coins are generally round, but a limited number of Kooks in the shape of a map of Australia were produced in 2012 as part of the very rare (and imaginatively named) "Australian Map Shaped Coin" range which has featured a different animal each year.

Then there are various finishes (either proof, high-relief, colourised or gilded) and a spread of years in which a limited number carried privy marks for special commemorations - in fact Perth Mint's first privy-marked coin was a 2oz proof Kookaburra. Collecting every single variation and size would be a challenge to test even the most ardent collector and the stoutest of wallets. If you think you're up to it, just try getting hold of the limited edition 2009 20th anniversary set with it's distinctive "P20" mintmark for starters.

So, apart from the contentious re-minting issue (which at least gives a few more people the chance to own a Kook), this is a truly classic coin series, one that dares to walk the line between bullion and numismatic and arguably succeeds. If £/oz is all you care about, you are catered for elsewhere frankly - this is not for you. But for those who want something a little bit special, something you can enjoy and admire, you could do a lot worse than pick up a Kook next time you are shopping.

Edited by silversword

Can't help but be a bit envious if you have a date run of them, they are all really nice (not like the Koala which has a few ugly ones). I quite like writing about the coins as I am learning about them at the same time. Only downside is it makes me want to go out and buy everything.

Can't help but be a bit envious if you have a date run of them, they are all really nice (not like the Koala which has a few ugly ones). I quite like writing about the coins as I am learning about them at the same time. Only downside is it makes me want to go out and buy everything.

Agree on the koalas, I have a run of those too, and although they are uglier there are some expensive ones there.

Stacker since 2013

I've got a date run from 1990-2004 of the 1ozer proofs & a date run of 2oz proofs 1992-2002.For what they cost and how beautiful they are I think they represent fantastic value.

Oh forgot about my 10ozers 1991-1998 I need 2 more to complete that run as I'm stopping at the year 2000,I also need 2 more to complete the 2ozers.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I've got a date run from 1990-2004 of the 1ozer proofs & a date run of 2oz proofs 1992-2002.For what they cost and how beautiful they are I think they represent fantastic value.

Oh forgot about my 10ozers 1991-1998 I need 2 more to complete that run as I'm stopping at the year 2000,I also need 2 more to complete the 2ozers.

Now that's a proper collection!!!!

Stacker since 2013

Can't help but be a bit envious if you have a date run of them, they are all really nice  I quite like writing about the coins as I am learning about them at the same time. Only downside is it makes me want to go out and buy everything.

Whats wrong with that,you like em buy em :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

The collectors rule!!!

Totally ;)

I've not bought any kooks yet, I was thinking about it for the last two years but never got round to it, my dad got a roll of 10 2013s on release - shrink wrapped in mint capsules, probably my favourite method of bulk transportation i've seen yet. Much preferred it to a tube of ASEs. Don't think my limited budget could handle another series!

Edited by Ares

I'm not into kooks but I like the look of 2009 and 2013, they have got a bloody ugly bird look very nice, what are the best/rarest/most sought after years?

The 2009 is my favourite.

As far as bullion kooks go, I think the 1990-99 original release square capsuled are the most sought after. The re-mints were presented in round capsules.

I have the 90-99 in square caps and the rest in the round caps.

Stacker since 2013

• 3 weeks later...

The new dessign for 2015 is available, and you can buy for 19.5€  the 1oz silver coin. It's a really good price, do you think it's good enough to buy now? I've never been when a new coin is out, so I don't know if this is the start price and it's a little high.

Australien-10-Unzen-Silber-Kookaburra-20

Thank you

Edited by clinisbud

• 7 years later...