• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 1907 Edward VII Florin XF 40-45

Peacemaker

Grade is my own opinion, I think it is an easy XF, NGC guide price $175usd but i understand that is a guide price so open to offers, looking for some gold or silver bullion

20180121_132915.jpg

20180121_132859.jpg

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

5 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

@sovereignsteve what grade would you say?

The Edward head is low relief and difficult to grade but I'd say aVF - VF. Lots of wear on hair and beard, some nasty looking marks too.

The reverse is better at VF to maybe a tad more.

So overall around VF

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The Edward head is low relief and difficult to grade but I'd say aVF - VF. Lots of wear on hair and beard, some nasty looking marks too.

The reverse is better at VF to maybe a tad more.

So overall around VF

I respect your opinion, i wouldnt say there is alot of wear on hair and beard  maybe a little, as you said, the Edward head is a low relief and looking at mint state ones, very little difference. Nasty marks i dont believe affect too much of the grading unless they intefere with overall detailing of the coin, someone correct me if im wrong.

Guideline for for XF/EF 40: All design elements still show, but high points now worn flat. Little to no luster remains.

XF/EF 45: High points of design show light wear. A bit of luster may still be visible in protected areas.

i wouldnt even say high points are worn flat but I still would say XF/EF, the lower end 40, thank you for the input.

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

18 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Nasty marks i dont believe affect too much of the grading unless they intefere with overall detailing of the coin, someone correct me if im wrong

True. I only mention it as they detract from the overall appearance.

18 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Guideline for for XF/EF 40: All design elements still show, but high points now worn flat. Little to no luster remains.

XF/EF 45: High points of design show light wear. A bit of luster may still be visible in protected areas.

i wouldnt even say high points are worn flat but I still would say XF/EF, the lower end 40, thank you for the input.

I assumed your original statement that it's "an easy EF" was using the British grading scale but you seem to be using the US Sheldon scale terms. The two grades shouldn't be mixed as it can be confusing.
Your XF/EF 40 - 45 equates to British gF - aVF. EF in the British system is a high grade (US AU58 - 60)

The price on Allcoinvalues you quoted will be for the superior British EF grade. Spink gives it as £215 in EF but only £40 at VF (retail prices).

£135 for Britiah EF would be more the real world price.

I would grade your coin as US XF/EF 45 -50

2 hours ago, metallica73 said:

I'd say VF too. Too much wear on the hair and on the shield.

I was frightened to be the first to offer my opinion on this, as I know people like to protect their coins like if someone disses your family :lol:

It's much better than the average dross found on Ebay though.

opinions are welcome, no offense taken. I would ask for your reference though. What have you compared mine to, to come up with vf? ive searched alot, this is just one of many i have found, an ngc graded xf45 florin, more hair detail, but more wear around the ear, eye and mouth area and i have personally graded mine and xf40 so a grade below. Didnt really want this to turn in a debate of grading, just wanting to sell or trade

xf45florin1.jpg

xf45florin2.jpg

xf45florin3.jpg

The hunt is on!

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

True. I only mention it as they detract from the overall appearance.

I assumed your original statement that it's "an easy EF" was using the British grading scale but you seem to be using the US Sheldon scale terms. The two grades shouldn't be mixed as it can be confusing.
Your XF/EF 40 - 45 equates to British gF - aVF. EF in the British system is a high grade (US AU58 - 60)

The price on Allcoinvalues you quoted will be for the superior British EF grade. Spink gives it as £215 in EF but only £40 at VF (retail prices).

£135 for Britiah EF would be more the real world price.

I would grade your coin as US XF/EF 45 -50

ahhh right, i had no idea there was another grading system, i assumed the u.s sheldon scale was the only one used. We have graded the same just that there was confusion caused on my part, appreciate the help. Edited and corrected the grading.

The hunt is on!

13 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Ah yes! It's unusual for someone from the UK to reference the US grading scale initially so I was confused. Yes, definite Sheldon scale XF.

If you were to offer that to a UK coin dealer as XF he'd give you a funny look

I didn't realise there was 2 different grading scales lol, I know there is one over here that goes up to 100 rather than 70 but I don't know anything about it, I assumed everybody used the Sheldon scale because that's what ngc use

The hunt is on!

2 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Didnt really want this to turn in a debate of grading, just wanting to sell or trade

Understand this viewpoint. I was reluctant to offer an opinion but you did ask;)

2 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

I didn't realise there was 2 different grading scales lol, I know there is one over here that goes up to 100 rather than 70 but I don't know anything about it, I assumed everybody used the Sheldon scale because that's what ngc use

The one going up to 100 is the (ex) UK company CGS, now part of London Coin, re-named LCGC.

Sheldon is up to 70 but the old British system doesn't use numbers but defined levels of grade from fine, very fine, extremely fine, up to uncirculated. There are lower grades but not worth bothering about for collecting. Many people use prefixes "almost" "about" "good" etc as well.

I think it's fine to use the Sheldon scale as everyone is used to NGC and PCGS there days, but it's confusing just to use terms like "XF" "EF" etc without also adding the numerical grade (unless you're in the US of course).

14 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Understand this viewpoint. I was reluctant to offer an opinion but you did ask;)

Of course, if you offer an opinion on my sale regarding grade of the coin, i am always open to opinions, and something to back it up, e.g a slabbed coin of similar grade, if i refuse the opinion i may aswell have deleted the sale, something like that could tarnish a sale post.

Moving on to the sale... how would you like to pay? :lol::rolleyes:

The hunt is on!

4 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Of course, if you offer an opinion on my sale regarding grade of the coin, i am always open to opinions, and something to back it up, e.g a slabbed coin of similar grade, if i refuse the opinion i may aswell have deleted the sale, something like that could tarnish a sale post.

Moving on to the sale... how would you like to pay? :lol::rolleyes:

may I offer u 5x subway footlong instead :rolleyes:

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Archived