• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

When did you start stacking metals?

Peacemaker

I'm 28 and been stacking for near 2 years now, mainly a way to save money for a rainy day, it has helped me on a few rainy days! when did you all start? And why? just curious how far this goes back in the forum and can you remember spot price of the metals you stacked when you started?

1 minute ago, DaveWheat89 said:

I'm 28 and been stacking for near 2 years now, when did you all start? just curious how far this goes back in the forum and can you remember spot price of the metals you stacked when you started?

I was thinking u are an in ur 50s perhaps 60s :lol:

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I  remember being 25 like it was 5 years ago, those were the good old days.

According to my spreadsheet :P I have been stacking since April 2014. The cheapest oz of gold I bought was the now abandoned Royal Mint Lunar series, paid £731 for the sheep and spot was £696 I remember it like it was 3 years ago... Cheapest silver I bought were 2oz turtles, spot was £9 and change, late 2015 as well. I hope we see those prices again. 

Most of my metals have been converted into bricks. The original point of stacking at the time was retirement as I assumed I would not be buying a house for many years and would be able to use sterling built up from the now cashed in HTB isa's, I had two of them on the go. Well plans do always not survive contact with life. Or perhaps the plan was unrealistic.

Regardless, retirement saving is now back on, or rather, I use it as an excuse to stack shiny metals. If I am completely honest this has become more a hobby with potential for a positive financial outcome. I can't really see a situation where this hobby is loss making, because worst case if all is well with the world and metals are worthless when I am old, I get to keep them until I die :lol:

1 hour ago, KDave said:

According to my spreadsheet :P I have been stacking since April 2014. The cheapest oz of gold I bought was the now abandoned Royal Mint Lunar series, paid £731 for the sheep and spot was £696 I remember it like it was 3 years ago... Cheapest silver I bought were 2oz turtles, spot was £9 and change, late 2015 as well. I hope we see those prices again. 

Most of my metals have been converted into bricks. The original point of stacking at the time was retirement as I assumed I would not be buying a house for many years and would be able to use sterling built up from the now cashed in HTB isa's, I had two of them on the go. Well plans do always not survive contact with life. Or perhaps the plan was unrealistic.

Regardless, retirement saving is now back on, or rather, I use it as an excuse to stack shiny metals. If I am completely honest this has become more a hobby with potential for a positive financial outcome. I can't really see a situation where this hobby is loss making, because worst case if all is well with the world and metals are worthless when I am old, I get to keep them until I die :lol:

I am 25 every year :lol:

1 hour ago, KDave said:

(remember back when you said that, like it was hours ago?). And why not beyond?! Take them with you pharaoh style ;)

5 minutes ago, airmac said:

That you do, but i love mine more  :P

That’s right , you will always tell your wife/your girl friend / your partner / your kids / you love them 

until .....

they tarnish/ spots  ( nasty ) ( naughty )

or 

you see another coin ( another woman ) 

I am 28 also Dave [emoji4] I checked when I bought my first gold coin which was 2014. I had not bought on the intention of stacking, I liked the coin for looking at & had not bought anything since. Then in mid 2016 I decided I would start buying gold for a store of wealth.

Quite similar to the OP, started in Feb 2016 and accumulated 1300oz Ag and 1.5oz Au in that time.

A sizeable stack is a nice counter-cyclical insurance policy to have and I'm still very confident that come the next crisis it will prove its worth many times over.

But having a big stack isn't the be all and end all - being able to meet your short term and medium term goals is also hugely important so I also hold lots of cash.   Moreover I learnt a lot from this forum, including first getting into matched betting from which I've progressed to EV betting and now have a regular second income stream.  The cash goes hand in hand with this, acting as my working capital.

I've only been into stacking gold for just over a year now. It was tv programme.s that got me into it didn't know how much went into finding it i saved up and one of my first buys was a metlor 100g bar i used to get the bar out when my gold programme.s was on lol 

26 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

I've only been into stacking gold for just over a year now. It was tv programme.s that got me into it didn't know how much went into finding it i saved up and one of my first buys was a metlor 100g bar i used to get the bar out when my gold programme.s was on lol 

Tv programme being goldrush/gold divers perhaps?!

Bit of an eye opener, especially the massive resource and expense it takes to get to the gold that we don’t do a lot with other than squirrel away!

September 2010, bought a 1996 Kookaburra from eBay and never looked back. 

Spot was $18 at the time and 6 months later it was $50. A bonkers time to have started! Thankfully, I’d run out of cash, so didn’t buy much at the top, but many lessons learned for next time around.

Started stacking silver as a teenager in the early 80's.  Sold most of it when the Hunt brothers drove the price up.  Only started stacking again since August of 2016, but have been buying gold and silver every month since then.

• 4 weeks later...

First sovereigns bought from the mint for around £190.I mind thinking those were dear £1's in 2014 also

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Archived