• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Recommended Posts

As much as I enjoy to stack silver, I have decided that i would like to branch off and try something a little different, in the form of melting down and creating my own hand poured silver.

My plan is to start off by melting down small amounts of silver, in the form of 1 oz .999 silver bullion coins, ones that I picked up at a cheap price and that have several scratches etc on them. AKA the "runts" of my silver litter :)

Because I am only starting out by melting 1 oz of silver, I have decided to melt the silver using a blow torch with the idea of purchasing a kiln at a later date if things go well. 

My ultimate aim is to start off by pouring small 1 oz silver ingots, and in the future I'm hoping to start producing more interesting designs, that being just a distant dream at the moment.

I have carried out some basic research in the form of YouTube videos and online tutorials in how to melt silver at home.

So far I have ordered the following equipment: 

1 x Crucible (60mm diameter) 
1 x Tongs
1 x Graphite Stirring Rod
1 x Graphite Crucible Ingot Mold

1x Butane Flamethrower Blow Torch (Maximum firepower: 1,300”C )

Borax - Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate

 

So I'm basically just after any advice from anyone on here who has knowledge or experience in this area. Do I need any other equipment? Any Tips? Any good YouTube videos to watch? etc... the more advice the better.

Thanks in advance 

 

Edited by WestCumbrianStacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WestCumbrianStacker said:

As much as I enjoy to stack silver, I have decided that i would like to branch off and try something a little different, in the form of melting down and creating my own hand poured silver.

My plan is to start off by melting down small amounts of silver, in the form of 1 oz .999 silver bullion coins, ones that I picked up at a cheap price and that have several scratches etc on them. AKA the "runts" of my silver litter :)

Because I am only starting out by melting 1 oz of silver, I have decided to melt the silver using a blow torch with the idea of purchasing a kiln at a later date if things go well. 

My ultimate aim is to start off by pouring small 1 oz silver ingots, and in the future I'm hoping to start producing more interesting designs, that being just a distant dream at the moment.

I have carried out some basic research in the form of YouTube videos and online tutorials in how to melt silver at home.

So far I have ordered the following equipment: 

1 x Crucible (60mm diameter) 
1 x Tongs
1 x Graphite Stirring Rod
1 x Graphite Crucible Ingot Mold

1x Butane Flamethrower Blow Torch (Maximum firepower: 1,300”C )

Borax - Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate

 

So I'm basically just after any advice from anyone on here who has knowledge or experience in this area. Do I need any other equipment? Any Tips? Any good YouTube videos to watch? etc... the more advice the better.

Thanks in advance 

 

You probably wont need a graphite stirring rod - the silver will not need stirring if you only have 1 oz - but they are dirt cheap so probably worth having on just incase. 

You probably wont need borax either - 999 silver is very pure and will melt just fine without the borax - but again it is dirt cheap so go for it. But if you use it there will be residue on the silver when you pour them.

Make sure that the blowtorch is powerful enough. I started out with a butane torch and it took ages to get 1 oz of silver melted. You should have a look for an oxy acetylene kit if you have any aspirations for melting this stuff faster and in larger quantities. 

Other than that - safety equipment is a must. Get yourself some thick gloves, a thick leather apron and some safety goggles. 

Good luck and make sure to share your results!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SilverStan said:

Mapp gas if your just trying out otherwise you will soon fall out with the hobby. It's all about heat. Use the borax to clean your crucible and add a fine amount to your pour side will help the silver flow emoji16.png

Thanks for the advice. So just to clarify, mapp gas will easily melt a 1 oz coin in a small crucible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

You probably wont need a graphite stirring rod - the silver will not need stirring if you only have 1 oz - but they are dirt cheap so probably worth having on just incase. 

You probably wont need borax either - 999 silver is very pure and will melt just fine without the borax - but again it is dirt cheap so go for it. But if you use it there will be residue on the silver when you pour them.

Make sure that the blowtorch is powerful enough. I started out with a butane torch and it took ages to get 1 oz of silver melted. You should have a look for an oxy acetylene kit if you have any aspirations for melting this stuff faster and in larger quantities. 

Other than that - safety equipment is a must. Get yourself some thick gloves, a thick leather apron and some safety goggles. 

Good luck and make sure to share your results!

Thanks for the reply

The stirring rod and borax came as part of the set, and it was a similar price with or without them included, so no big loss really.

I had worries about the Butane blow torch, especially after watching one of your videos in which you mention it was difficult to keep a oz of silver in liquid form. 

I've had a quick look at the oxy acetylene kits along with Mapp torches that have also been recommended on this thread. The Mapp torches seem to be less expensive. Would you recommend these at all to start out with? As i'll only be melting small amounts of silver. 

As for the PPE, I have everything you mentioned :) 

 

Edited by WestCumbrianStacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, WestCumbrianStacker said:

Thanks for the reply

The stirring rod and borax came as part of the set, and it was a similar price with or without them included, so no big loss really.

I had worries about the Butane blow torch, especially after watching one of your videos in which you mention it was difficult to keep a oz of silver in liquid form. 

I've had a quick look at the oxy acetylene kits along with Mapp torches that have also been recommended on this thread. The Mapp torches seem to be less expensive. Would you recommend these at all to start out with? As i'll only be melting small amounts of silver. 

As for the PPE, I have everything you mentioned :) 

 

Mapp torches will be fine for a few oz I think - but dont quote me on it!

Personally I think a furnace is overall much easier and safer than the torch and crucible method. Maybe you will experience it differently - but if you also feel that way then give me a shout and we can talk about kilns 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the advice. So just to clarify, mapp gas will easily melt a 1 oz coin in a small crucible? 
To get the best results for relative small money you want heat bricks and fire wool to make a small kiln keeps the heat in. But yes mapp gas will melt your 1oz coins no problem. I melted over 200 oz last year with this method. Other ways to melt electric kiln etc but I like the hands on experience of melting and pouring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooo... I'd written off the idea of a little melting and moulding as the furnaces are relatively expensive for a whimsical hobby, never occurred you can do it with butane torch and this MAPP torch is interesting :D 

I recall a video with some chap making a furnace from a bucket filled with plaster, a hole, hairdryer and common BBQ bricks.  melts alu cans and copper, that would be enough for silver?  

Edited by Martlet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally got around to melting and pouring my first ounce of .999 silver today. Pouring 2 bars in the process. 

The results are far from brilliant. But for a first attempt, I am fairly pleased with the results and feel like I have learned a few things in the process. 

I have not yet cleaned the bars or removed any of the excess residue, as I was hoping on some advice from you guys on what's the best way to do so :) 

 

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WestCumbrianStacker said:

So I finally got around to melting and pouring my first ounce of .999 silver today. Pouring 2 bars in the process. 

The results are far from brilliant. But for a first attempt, I am fairly pleased with the results and feel like I have learned a few things in the process. 

I have not yet cleaned the bars or removed any of the excess residue, as I was hoping on some advice from you guys on what's the best way to do so :) 

 

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

Looking good my friend!

Get some P7000 sandpaper (search on Amazon) put a drop of malt vinegar on it and rub the residued dirty area on it. It will come of easy as that. 

That's what I do anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great conversation!

Its helped me a lot as well. Does anybody know of any second hand (but good condition) kiln? I too am brand new to this, and after some advise I want to start off with a kiln instead of crucible and torch.

I will be doing different materials, not just silver. I want to be able to do silver, copper and more. If anyone knows of, or has a kiln they no longer want, please let me know.

 

Thanks everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now