• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collecting old US Silver?

JohnA

Does anyone here collect US silver dollars or halves or quarters or dimes?

I am going to start a Mercury [Winged Liberty] dimes collection. Not for stacking scrap but as high grade ones. I looked into other 90% old US coins and they are out of my price range in MS condition. I mean if I want to collect a series of them.

Like this is about $20 and it's common. Older halves and even quarters can be high. 

Untitled.jpg

I have that coin but not slabbed,I don`t like slabbed coins.I have morgans,walking libertys,peace dollars,franklins,1964 kennedys ,buffalo nickels and hopefully tomorrow my 1 oz gold buffalo.You can find good deals on Ebay. 

Finally!  Something I know quite a bit about....  :-)    Bottomline:  putting together a set of nice Winged Liberty Dimes (also called Mercury Dimes), is relatively easy and cheap, especially for dates and mint marks from 1940 to 1945 (also called a "short set").  However a big caveat:  if you complete a set of MS-65 Full Band dimes, it would take much time to break even on the investment (unless of course silver skyrockets).  Why?  Because there are tens-of-thousands of certified Mercury Dimes at MS-63 and above from these dates, and they trade more as a "commodity" than as a rare coin.  The picture you posted is a 1943 MS-63 Merc Dime, but without the "full bands" designation.  Full Bands means the strike is strong and crisp, to the extent you can see separation on the bands holding the faces together on the reverse of the coin.  The MS-63 PCGS population for 1943:  91 coins in MS-63 without bands; 57 with full bands.  In MS-65 Full Bands:  1130 coins;  non FB:  1446 coins.  And there are ~4000 coins graded higher.   And this is just the PCGS population!  I don't have ready access to the NGC populations, but I suspect they are about the same.  What does that mean to your collecting strategy?  Whatever you want it to mean!  :-)   But this series is easy to put together a very nice matched set of brilliant and white coins.  Once you get older coins from 1935 and earlier, than the prices are all over the map.  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders

Archived