• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2005 kilo Panda - was this a bad deal?

MoralHazard

Hi

First time for me writing here but have been reading the forums for quite some time. I managed to find a good deal (at least in my opinion) to buy 2005 kilo panda from a person that inherited his fathers coin collections. The guy did not really have any interested in coins and just wanted to get rid of them to convert to fiat. He had a kilo 2005 panda that I said I am interested to buy it. I did not see pictures of the coin beforehand but the seller said the coin is in good condition. When we agreed to meet and exchange fiat to the silver I noticed that the coin had scratches on the mirror surface. Presumably the coin had been wiped with some cloth as there are hairlines that can be seen when the coin is tilted in certain angles. On the other angles it looks perfect. We originally agreed on the price to be 560€, but I said that sorry I can't pay you that amount as there were micro scratches on the proof surfaces. I noticed that he just wanted to get rid of it and I said I OK will offer him 500€ for it. I said that are you sure as I did not want to screw him but he had to understand that for a damaged coin I have to reprice it. He still agreed.

But I am still thinking that did I pay too much? Should I have paid only the melt or maybe even less than that like 20% below melt.

I attached some pictures of the coin. I think I want to get rid of the coin ultimately as I only want coins in perfect condition. Do you think the value is over 500€?

1513800069_tmp_IMG_0219.jpg

1513800146_tmp_IMG_0222.jpg

1513800246_tmp_IMG_0223.jpg

1513800326_tmp_IMG_0225.jpg

Pandas bring large premiums. I would say you did incredibly well with this deal. Shame it doesn't have box and COA but I would guess it'll sell for a decent profit.

as Agpanda said, make sure it is genuine and silver and you should be on your way to profit.

1 minute ago, MoralHazard said:

Ok that is good to hear. I have seen these go for over in ungraded condition for 1500€ in eBay but the coins have been perfect units I think

The coin is definitely silver. I have electronic tester device which says the composition is pure silver. 

Which tester do you have? Ive been thinking of buying one so I can stop acid testing.

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Pandas bring large premiums. I would say you did incredibly well with this deal. Shame it doesn't have box and COA but I would guess it'll sell for a decent profit.

as Agpanda said, make sure it is genuine and silver and you should be on your way to profit.

I do have the wooden box for it as well as the CoA. The box has some small dents but otherwise in ok condition

6 minutes ago, Nick said:

Which tester do you have? Ive been thinking of buying one so I can stop acid testing

It is a spectrometer gun that basically can show composition of any alloy. It is rather expensive device but crucial for my work. I need this device as i buy scrap precious metals (especially gold) as my ”side project” to refine them later in the refinery.

https://us-tech.co.za/xl2-100-portable-precious-metal-analyzer/

Archived