• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The most beautiful thing I’ve ever owned!!

Ryland

On 09/12/2017 at 00:36, YoloBagels said:

No, from what I know the highest denomination of official coinage by the RCM was a 1 million dollar gold coin weighing at around 220 pounds. Unfortunately the only one was stolen quite a while ago from a mueseum in Berlin.

I believe there was 4 or 5 of the 1million dollar gold coins made, the mint still have the 1st one. If i can find the link ill post it :)

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-the-mint/million-dollar-coin-1600006

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2018 at 01:01, SILVERFINGER said:

Could it be something left from the press itself, not the actual coin, a super rare coin as this I wouldnt thought would have a high mintage so the machine that presses them out wouldnt of had as much use as something like a 1 ounce Maple leaf.

So here’s an update, the mint said that it’s some sort of polishing compound left over from polishing the dye.  They sent me a prepaid shipping label and I mailed the coin to the mint.  They’re going to give me a new one and melt mine down.  They said that even though there’s only 100 of them they make a few more for things like this and then after a few years melt them down so there is only 100 in existence.  They’re simply going to pull my COA and this new coin will become that number.  I’ll let you guys know how the exchange goes.

1 hour ago, Ryland said:
On 06/11/2018 at 08:01, SILVERFINGER said:

Could it be something left from the press itself, not the actual coin, a super rare coin as this I wouldnt thought would have a high mintage so the machine that presses them out wouldnt of had as much use as something like a 1 ounce Maple leaf.

Blimey I was right, glad of the outcome for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Well not so great news.  I finally received my replacement coin after having it held up in customs for over a week and......... it has the same problems in the same areas!  Not as bad as my previous coin but this is how my coin started and then got worse very quickly.  Just sent my contact at the mint an email, I have no idea what they can do now.

this is the new coin:

CF766B32-CF57-4480-8472-FA4A3CF93CED.jpeg

1 hour ago, 999magnum said:

Did you ask as to why they sent you another bad coin?

No I didn’t, I recently got this new account manager because my other one was so bad so I’m trying to give him a chance to fix it.  His supervisor supposedly was going to actually go and look at the coin that they were going to send me before they sent it to make sure it was good but I guess that didn’t happen??  This time they told me that the quality control guy will be doing my exchange personally so I would assume they will send a coin in good condition.  Like I said I’ll let you guys know 

• 1 month later...

Well I finally heard back from the Canadian Mint.  Well, they had been in contact but the person in charge of my return hadn’t responded to my account manager.  They came to a decision to give me two options, one is they could try and clean my coin and give it back to me.  The other is they will make me a new one and use this new process they have where they do a coating of lacquer on the coin to forever prevent milk spots and other blemishes from forming in the coin but I won’t get my coin till the end of March.  I jumped at the chance to have the only coin of that year with this special process!!!!  If all goes through as they say they’ll have a customer for life because I’m amazed that they’re going through the trouble to make a coin special just for me.  Don’t get me wrong, I think they need to stand behind their products especially at the price point this coin is at but I’m amazed to find a company that has integrity and honesty today.  I couldn’t be happier for now.....now let’s hope they follow through 

This gives me a lot more confidence in their newer products. I have bought a number of their coins from 2017 on. I hope the MintShield holds true! I will be curious to read your update when all is finished with this exchange.

On 17/01/2019 at 16:58, Ablist said:

This gives me a lot more confidence in their newer products. I have bought a number of their coins from 2017 on. I hope the MintShield holds true! I will be curious to read your update when all is finished with this exchange.

Just the 2018 and onwards coins unfortunately. It is a real shame as it would of been nice if they started this with the first release of the 10oz Multi Maple. I initially wasn't going to buy it as I've seen a number of them with spots but once supply started to be exhausted I figured I might as well. Sure enough mine has spots on queenie's head 🙄  Still it is good they finally addressed the issue and nice to know coins from 2018 onwards will be fine.

• 4 months later...

I’m sure everyone has forgotten about this but I finally received my new coin!  It took about 6 months!!!  At first I was very angry at the mint because they shipped me the coin in the case bare, as in it wasn’t in a box!  The case showed up covered in dirt and has a few deep scratches on it.  I called them and asked why they thought it would be a good idea to save a couple dollars on a cardboard box for a $10k coin!  They said that they ship the coins in the bare cases all the time even though none of the previous two coins I’ve received came bare.  I cleaned off the case and held my breath when opening it, fully expecting the worst.  I though for sure I had waited 6 months for them to mail me back the same flawed coin but in a case that was now scratched.  Happily I was incorrect!  I now have a beautiful flawless coin and it’s also the only one in the world that’s coated so it will never tarnish!  I’m very excited and quite happy with the Canadian mint.....even though it took them six months and me probably over 10 hours of work for them to get it right!

On 08/12/2017 at 19:44, YoloBagels said:

It's almost funny how they were able to steal something of so much value from a highly secure place. Sadly this coin was most likely melted down and sold on the market without anyone knowing. I know it was just the RCM screwing around but they really put all their eggs in the same basket.

Maybe you own a slice of it and didn't know

2 hours ago, Ryland said:

I’m sure everyone has forgotten about this but I finally received my new coin!  It took about 6 months!!!  At first I was very angry at the mint because they shipped me the coin in the case bare, as in it wasn’t in a box!  The case showed up covered in dirt and has a few deep scratches on it.  I called them and asked why they thought it would be a good idea to save a couple dollars on a cardboard box for a $10k coin!  They said that they ship the coins in the bare cases all the time even though none of the previous two coins I’ve received came bare.  I cleaned off the case and held my breath when opening it, fully expecting the worst.  I though for sure I had waited 6 months for them to mail me back the same flawed coin but in a case that was now scratched.  Happily I was incorrect!  I now have a beautiful flawless coin and it’s also the only one in the world that’s coated so it will never tarnish!  I’m very excited and quite happy with the Canadian mint.....even though it took them six months and me probably over 10 hours of work for them to get it right!

So it took only 18 months from paying for the coin to receiving a coin you are happy with. I can't really complain about the lead times from The Buckingham Collection now can I?

:) 

Archived