• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The most beautiful thing I’ve ever owned!!

Ryland

17 minutes ago, buckeyecoins said:

That is one huge coin.  Is that the highest denomination coin minted by RCM?

No, from what I know the highest denomination of official coinage by the RCM was a 1 million dollar gold coin weighing at around 220 pounds. Unfortunately the only one was stolen quite a while ago from a mueseum in Berlin.

4 minutes ago, YoloBagels said:

No, from what I know the highest denomination of official coinage by the RCM was a 1 million dollar gold coin weighing at around 220 pounds. Unfortunately the only one was stolen quite a while ago from a mueseum in Berlin.

I remember seeing the news story for this.

Imagine getting away with that :0

It's almost funny how they were able to steal something of so much value from a highly secure place. Sadly this coin was most likely melted down and sold on the market without anyone knowing. I know it was just the RCM screwing around but they really put all their eggs in the same basket.

Just now, YoloBagels said:

It's almost funny how they were able to steal something of so much value from a highly secure place. Sadly this coin was most likely melted down and sold on the market without anyone knowing. I know it was just the RCM screwing around but they really put all their eggs in the same basket.

It would have been cool to have seen it up close in real life. Always cool when I hold a one ounce gold coin but that would have been impressive 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, 999magnum said:

The presentation is very nice in that humidor looking box. The coin is very busy, but who wouldn't like to have it.

I agree the coin is very busy but in person it pulls off the busyness because of its size and depth.  It ends up looking very intricate and well done.  It has some of the images in different layers of depths where when you look at the coin you can separate what you’re viewing by categorizing it into these layers.  I love the coin because of not only it’s beauty but it’s subject matter.  It reminds me of murals at some of the old rides at Disney world.  If you ever saw the Norway ride before they got rid of it, it had a dated view by the end of the rides life of an idealized version of economic prosperity and life in Norway.  That’s the same as with this coin, it’s essentially a permanent time capsule that will forever show the picturesque idea of life today in Canada at its 150th anniversary.  I can’t tell you all how much I love this coin!

I also want to say that this coin did have a very high price above melt value.  I consider myself a “value” investor both in stocks and coins or bullion with a large chunk of my gold and silver holdings being generic bars bought around spot.  I will say seeing this coin in person and having the low mintage, I’d i were to compare this coin to say a Armenian Noah’s arch coin of the same weight for a much lower premium, there is no comparison.  Of the Canadian mint would’ve charged double what I paid for the coin, after seeing it in person I would gladly pay double what I did and feel that I got a good value for the money spent.....it’s that impressive.  My opinion of course, yours may differ 

• 10 months later...

Alright guys I’m reviving this thread from almost a year ago because I don’t know what to do.  I’m starting to get red spots on my coin!! They’re forming in the deep grooves.  I contacted my account manager at the Royal Canadian Mint and he’s going to show them to some production people for advice but what should I do?

1CDD467B-FFA9-4999-9047-803B8C350675.jpeg

D0B1AD88-158C-436D-85FA-E75465E9F74C.jpeg

3085372B-37E7-480B-B8AC-76AB152E5287.jpeg

AFBFE609-C271-4694-8CA8-85CDF4C7DF0F.jpeg

Also the strange thing is it’s in a capsule that’s in a box that’s in an airtight plastic case!  The plastic case has only been opened maybe 4-5 times and the wooden box has been taken out of the box twice.  The coin obviously has never been removed from the capsule so I don’t know how this has happened. 

I don’t really understand red or milk spots?  Is it bacterium? Oxidation? Issues in the melt process? Temperature variations in storage? Borax issues or something?  I keep mine in airtights but in ‘nature’ - I haven’t looked at them in years, so am I likely to get a nasty shock?

On 05/11/2018 at 21:25, Ryland said:

Also the strange thing is it’s in a capsule that’s in a box that’s in an airtight plastic case!  The plastic case has only been opened maybe 4-5 times and the wooden box has been taken out of the box twice.  The coin obviously has never been removed from the capsule so I don’t know how this has happened. 

Unfortunately, there’s much more probability of your silver coin tarnishing than would be the case with an encapsulated 1oz silver coin because of its larger size. Plastic capsules are often used to protect silver coins from the elements, and can reduce the rate of toning but will rarely stop it from happening completely. Anything from residual chemicals when the coin was encapsulated to humidity can affect encapsulated silver coins.

Hello @Ryland Never ever seen anything like this before. To buy a coin that comes in its own suitcase is unbelievable. I will never be able to pay what ever you paid for this magnificent specimen silver coin. So could someone please tell me what is this coin weight and if you don’t mind me being nosy Price please? 

Archived