• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bank Vaults

Pete

Just wondering if any members have a safe deposit box in a bank and if so what size and how do you store your metal - small bags, boxes etc or is it just piled in ?

I visited a Metro bank and noticed that they provide safe deposit boxes in a vault with unlimited access 362 days per year.

I paid for their "small" box which costs £250 per year and is claimed to be 5 x 5 x 21.5 inches.
Great I thought as my gold Britannia coin box is only 4.5 inches wide but it doesn't fit.
Turns out the width of the 5 inch box is only 4.3 inches so the volume of the box is 25% less than stated.

This means taking the coins out of the Britannia box and storing separately, which is not any hardship, but what annoys me is that the boxes should fit.
I've called Metro for them to investigate their specifications.

A bank isn't necessarily the best place to use for a safe deposit box. If there is a major financial crisis the banks will close and you won't be able to get to your valuables just when you might need them most. An alternative in the UK is to use a bullion seller such as Sharps Pixley or Baird.

If you do use a deposit box, the provider is legally liable for ensuring that you do not store anything illegal in it, so they have the right to open it. Also, they will open the box if the police or some other authority obtains a warrant under the RIP act.

7 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I thought that holding physical was all about being in control of your assets. Do you trust the banks, or do I have a tinfoil hat on and watching too much youtube? :D

Depends what you're putting in them i guess,and if you think it's worth the money.I wouldn't listen to everything you see on youtube lol :P

On 02/12/2017 at 17:45, JunkBond said:

I thought that holding physical was all about being in control of your assets. Do you trust the banks, or do I have a tinfoil hat on and watching too much youtube? :D

This

For the price you pay for thee boxes you would be better off investing in a decent safe, alarm system, CCTV and insurance, imho.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Archived