• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How Do You Store Your Coins

Keithoil

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Received some anti-tarnish pads today so I've added one of these as well as a 1g silica gel sachet into the bottom of each air-tites tube.  The air-tites caps should be air tight or near to it as possible so this is just an extra measure.  The items are cheap enough so doesn't really add much cost.  Unnecessary?  Probably... but it isn't going to do any harm so I might as well.

post-94-0-78232300-1406988264_thumb.jpg

Received some anti-tarnish pads today so I've added one of these as well as a 1g silica gel sachet into the bottom of each air-tites tube.  The air-tites caps should be air tight or near to it as possible so this is just an extra measure.  The items are cheap enough so doesn't really add much cost.  Unnecessary?  Probably... but it isn't going to do any harm so I might as well.

Im actually going to place an order for some myself. I think they are well worth it.

I'm re-thinking my storage method.

The Lighthouse L6 cases are lovely, but they just take up too much safe space.

I'm going to transfer everything into Airtite cap tubes and find a suitable box to keep them in. That should halve the storage space required.

Then I can get rid of the L6 cases.

Just need to find a tube or tub to fit the 2oz lunars in their capsules.

Stacker since 2013

Well your in luck I just placed an order for 300 1/2gram silica gel packs. Should be here mid next week.

Oh, misunderstanding.

I was talking about the anti-tarnish pads.

I got a ton of the silica gel packs.

Stacker since 2013

@MZ

Where do you get them red topped air-tite tubes from.

Air-tites in the US. Klacey is putting in an order on Monday with them if you don't want to order direct yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been thinking about the sticky label idea and have gone off it (Thanks For your comments people).

But I have bought new item form the USA to keep my coins separate when in the tubes.

I have two one at 38.1 mm diameter and another at 45 mm diameter.

So i will now set about cutting loads of spacers for my tubes.

post-50-0-06976500-1409182320_thumb.jpg

I have been thinking about the sticky label idea and have gone off it (Thanks For your comments people).

But I have bought new item form the USA to keep my coins separate when in the tubes.

I have two one at 38.1 mm diameter and another at 45 mm diameter.

So i will now set about cutting loads of spacers for my tubes.

Have you got a link to where you bought these.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't the acid, bleach, sulphite or whatever in cheap paper be likely to cause problems if left in contact with coins for an extended time?

Better off using a cotton based paper like watercolour paper or at least acid free.

I don't worry too much about thieves breaking into a floor standing safe because most aren't going to be carrying the tools or going to have the time to remove one from a concrete floor.

I'm not going to go under my house and dig a pit for a safe which would mean transporting cement, sand and water through a small trapdoor and down a ladder as I wouldn't like to have to go to the bother of lifting the carpet over the trapdoor to gain access to the safe. Also cutting a hole for a drop shute/tube that is at least 5 feet long would be a bit unsightly and I wouldnt like my stack enduring such a long drop.

Wouldn't the acid, bleach, sulphite or whatever in cheap paper be likely to cause problems if left in contact with coins for an extended time?

Better off using a cotton based paper like watercolour paper or at least acid free.

I have had a few silver "scrap" coins wrapped in the sheet of notepaper they came in for over ten years Murph, they look much the same as I remember on receipt, not having

taken pictures I can't be sure though. These were circulated currency mind, storing your proofs in tatty lined notepaper might yield somewhat different results.

Although silver is known to be highly reactive I always found none PM coins to suffer most, Whitman folders and the like causing particular problems, but I would imagine coins 

stored in folders were probably never in great condition to begin with.

Archived