• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 proof Sovereign - 65th coronation "crown privy"

sovereignsteve

Not if spot goes up you wont ;)

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm curious @ChardLizzie

From your own personal experience of ?how many? years at Chards or asking your colleagues, how well do "normal" proof releases sell compared to this and last year's?

Personally I think this will be a miss and we'll be picking them up in years to come at the same price as most other proof sovereigns ie less than 20 - 25% premium

See above ;)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have the same gotta gotta gotta feel as I had about the 2018 but, hey, who saw the bunny going bananas ? That was way way waaaaay many 100s of % over spot.....this one feels about an 8 as Lizzie referred to......

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm curious @ChardLizzie

From your own personal experience of ?how many? years at Chards or asking your colleagues, how well do "normal" proof releases sell compared to this and last year's?

Personally I think this will be a miss and we'll be picking them up in years to come at the same price as most other proof sovereigns ie less than 20 - 25% premium

I'll come back to you on this one - it's hectic here ;)

Ithink this has legs even though it is an unspectacular design extra....this time, it is the event. This one wont be happening again in a very very long time....unless the grand ole gal makes it another 5 years....and even then, this is a first type design extra on a sovereign. The bigger double and quintuple will show the detail better.

I do, of course, reserve the right to be completely wrong though. :D

I think this one will be popular with regular collectors but not a flip opportunity (Mint Price + 20% needed for flipping or at the very least Mint +10% allowing for cash back promotions). 

The story is vaguely interesting but not in any way powerful enough to be insanely desirable.

The mintage is extremely high for a regular sovereign edition compared to 1817 for the plain edge SOTD for example.

Some 2017 Sovs are starting to be sold by collectors with cash flow issues at a reasonable price and these are a FAR better bet than the 2018 Proof. There is almost no non special design proof sovereign that has been profitable based on new issue pricing - correct me if I am wrong. In 2016 mintages were 7,500 approx and then was it 3,500 for the change of head? I should look these up, so 10,500 for a non-special design sovereign is wildly optimistic.

Actually 13,500 in total for the single sovereign proofs, 1,600 for double and 750 for quintuple :) Personally, I am after the double and if the single and half get going, great. Everyone will take a bit of time on this one but it will cost you to buy a ticket, like everything. Me? This is sheer collecting. I dont run a car, so I am probably a few grand better off ayear than most, let alone the price of buying a car.

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Really? I seem to remember it was a goer from the start, but I stand to be corrected;)

Maybe Oldun is thinking of the BU's

ps. I feel like as a seller, Lizzie has to say every coin is amazing and is selling fast, so buy now :D 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The variations were as follows:

1. Proof Sovereign with the 1817 garter design

2. Bullion Sovereign with the “regular” St. George design WITH the 200th anniversary shield privy

3. Brilliant Uncirculated “Strike on the Day” Sovereign with the 1817 garter design AND plain edge (the other coins all have a reeded edge)

4. Piedfort Sovereign with the 1817 garter design AND double thickness (hence the term “piedfort”); also reeded edge.

And there was another 'Strike of the Day' in bullion design but without the 2017 privy mark. I missed it... :( 

What's the view on the Five Sovereign Proof in the Five Coin Set?

There are one hundred less being issued than 2017. 

The five coin set is £50 more than 2017 (Paradise tax leakage got to be plugged?)

I suppose the big unknown is if there is a £5 BU planned sometime in 2018.

PS - what happens to the other 100 not put into the set?

_L_SV518_06.jpg?as=1

5 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

I'll come back to you on this one - it's hectic here ;)

We are seeing a growing demand for the proof sovereign both in the UK and in a growing international market. The Royal Mint is doing a great marketing job, appealing to collectors with a variety of coins being issued successfully throughout the year. Whilst the 2018 proof sovereign is not necessarily as exciting as the 2017 garter design, the privy mark makes it interesting enough to be more desirable than the 'typical' proof sovereigns such as 2013, 2014 etc. The slight variations such as the 2 portraits in 2015, James Butler's Birthday portrait in 2016 and this 65th anniversary privy mark certainly make them more collectable. We buy and sell all proof sovereigns, they are still very popular as lasting gifts for special occasions and anniversaries, even the 'plain' ones. We will probably continue to see collectors keen to add Eliz II proof sovereigns to their collection no matter what the design, after all, our longest reigning monarch is not getting any younger. 

2 hours ago, xthomasx said:

And there was another 'Strike of the Day' in bullion design but without the 2017 privy mark. I missed it... :( 

Thanks, I forgot about that one. That really made me feel they milked the heck out of the series in 2017. It certainly wasn’t worth the £500 price tag imo.

I think the BU Five Sovereign Piece is now an annual “tradition” that’s released about halfway through each year. I suspect they will continue to milk the series in 2018 and also release a 2018 Piedfort at the same time. And don’t forget the Strike on the Day either. Milk, milk, milk ?

8 hours ago, Numistacker said:

I think this one will be popular with regular collectors but not a flip opportunity (Mint Price + 20% needed for flipping or at the very least Mint +10% allowing for cash back promotions). 

The story is vaguely interesting but not in any way powerful enough to be insanely desirable.

The mintage is extremely high for a regular sovereign edition compared to 1817 for the plain edge SOTD for example.

Some 2017 Sovs are starting to be sold by collectors with cash flow issues at a reasonable price and these are a FAR better bet than the 2018 Proof. There is almost no non special design proof sovereign that has been profitable based on new issue pricing - correct me if I am wrong. In 2016 mintages were 7,500 approx and then was it 3,500 for the change of head? I should look these up, so 10,500 for a non-special design sovereign is wildly optimistic.

If Madge passed away in 2018, they’d do well but she’s probably gonna live forever!

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

If every year has a privy going forward (which number bet they will as a gimmick - pick any historic anniversary e.g portrait of Shakespeare) then every coin will just do as well or as badly as coins without the privy surely? It’s when they start doing two lots of proofs each year, it will get really interesting! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Ok so I added one to my Mint Interest free account and got some cash back. 

It will probably lose me a little money but it will feature on my channel.

I do like proof sovereigns but the mintage of this is extremely high for a market that has absorbed about 18,000 proof sovereigns in a year!

2 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

We are seeing a growing demand for the proof sovereign both in the UK and in a growing international market. The Royal Mint is doing a great marketing job, appealing to collectors with a variety of coins being issued successfully throughout the year. Whilst the 2018 proof sovereign is not necessarily as exciting as the 2017 garter design, the privy mark makes it interesting enough to be more desirable than the 'typical' proof sovereigns such as 2013, 2014 etc. The slight variations such as the 2 portraits in 2015, James Butler's Birthday portrait in 2016 and this 65th anniversary privy mark certainly make them more collectable. We buy and sell all proof sovereigns, they are still very popular as lasting gifts for special occasions and anniversaries, even the 'plain' ones. We will probably continue to see collectors keen to add Eliz II proof sovereigns to their collection no matter what the design, after all, our longest reigning monarch is not getting any younger. 

Lizzie I hear what you say and I bought a 2018 sovereign, just one.

I am a big lover of Sovereigns and I bought 3 regular, 2 piedfort, 3 strike on the day and a BU 5 sov for 2017. 

I feel that this year is one for the enthusiast collectors and is not a flip or gain opportunity. I may be wrong of course and the crown will be interesting enough on its own but it looks to me that while the crown is ok, it needed a mintage of 7,500 or less to add enough to its attractiveness and 13,500 total mintage may prove to be too much. 

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

If Madge passed away in 2018, they’d do well but she’s probably gonna live forever!

Her Mum certainly did......and as they say, always look at the Mum coz that's what you end up with. :lol:

Archived