• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

A fake 1917, sure it was on eBay but I had bid a large amount in the hope it was real, the seller denies it is fake.

The circles are for the benefit of the seller in the eBay case 😂, could have just circled the whole coin...

fake-1917.jpg

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

1 hour ago, sg86 said:

A fake 1917, sure it was on eBay but I had bid a large amount in the hope it was real, the seller denies it is fake.

The circles are for the benefit of the seller in the eBay case 😂, could have just circled the whole coin...

fake-1917.jpg

Be intrested in seeing ebay picture

Please don't take this as a dig I dont want to make you feel worse 

But why would you buy a coin that in the back of your mind you knew it was fake only say this as your comment of hope it's real. EBay purchases always come with risk but it's up to us to limit them 

3 hours ago, sg86 said:

Of course it's a fake; it's a 1917 on Ebay!

I assume the ebay pictures were bad?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

5 hours ago, KevinG said:

I got my order in from the European mint 1 kilo of 90% silver mostly Quarters and Dimes I got 1 Barber quarter but unfortunately slicked out and two Standing liberty quarters with visible date.

IMG_20190517_182826_359.jpg

out of curiosity, how much did this cost you from eu mint?

5 hours ago, DaveWheat89 said:

out of curiosity, how much did this cost you from eu mint?

€471.34 plus another 40 Euro that you must pay separately for the shipping. To be honest if you want something like this you better get it in the the BYB group order

4 hours ago, KevinG said:

€471.34 plus another 40 Euro that you must pay separately for the shipping. To be honest if you want something like this you better get it in the the BYB group order

Was just curious as I have over $35 face value I may be selling in the near future, cheers.

1 minute ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Was just curious as I have over $35 face value I may be selling in the near future, cheers.

What I got in this lot is close to 40 Dollars face. If you have some standing liberty quarters with date you are willing to sell or half Dollars send me a message.

28 minutes ago, CoinStruck said:

Just bought the 2004 and 2005 sovereigns on Australian eBay. They seem to be "haze" on their surface and so will send them to be conserved and graded. I bought a 1985 1/2 sovereign from the same seller about a year ok and it had the same condition issue but came out great after a bit of PCGS TLC. 

Yeah haze is generally fine from my experience. as long as no one has tried to clean it themselves should all be good :) 

20 hours ago, jacobkenn said:

Be intrested in seeing ebay picture

Please don't take this as a dig I dont want to make you feel worse 

But why would you buy a coin that in the back of your mind you knew it was fake only say this as your comment of hope it's real. EBay purchases always come with risk but it's up to us to limit them 

17 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Of course it's a fake; it's a 1917 on Ebay!

I assume the ebay pictures were bad?

Yes of course it was a risk but why not bid for a coin worth so much when the seller tells you they bought it from a large UK auction house? 

@jacobkenn not being rude but even with excellent pictures some of the best 1917 fakes wouldn't be discovered, they've fooled many a dealer over the years, but I'm sure you know this

He even posted images online of a valuation from bullion by post etc. I'm not fussed as I will get my money back, but it was of course worth a shot! 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

21 hours ago, sg86 said:

Yes of course it was a risk but why not bid for a coin worth so much when the seller tells you they bought it from a large UK auction house? 

@jacobkenn not being rude but even with excellent pictures some of the best 1917 fakes wouldn't be discovered, they've fooled many a dealer over the years, but I'm sure you know this

He even posted images online of a valuation from bullion by post etc. I'm not fussed as I will get my money back, but it was of course worth a shot! 

Would be nice to know who this seller was as ebay do nothing about fakes being sold the thing is you will send this coin back and he will con someone else the coin needs to disposed of not given back but you won't get your money back if you do that i agree about 1917 catching people out even dealers but for me thats enough to put me off buying it especially of ebay. You wasnt being rude it's a open fourum we all entitled to our opinions

54 minutes ago, jacobkenn said:

Would be nice to know who this seller was as ebay do nothing about fakes being sold the thing is you will send this coin back and he will con someone else the coin needs to disposed of not given back but you won't get your money back if you do that i agree about 1917 catching people out even dealers but for me thats enough to put me off buying it especially of ebay. You wasnt being rude it's a open fourum we all entitled to our opinions

Ebay will let you return tjings, post pictures to them to prove things were not right, talk to their people and yet won't let you post s bad review as they used to...that is the equivalent of accessory after the fact to let crooks continue, I had one item I bought at a great deal show on its tracking that it was printed out but never reached the post office..I got my money back but dealers can do that every time, just sell it from under you for more and do the lost in post bs....ebay let's them get away with it, I had a case of buying jewelry that was all solid 14k gold..when it arrived it was plated junk...started a case, won the case, posted pics to ebay to prove it..got my money vack, had to send the bad back for them to try and sell to the next person who might not see the flaking plate....ebay stopped me posting feedback to protect the next person along the line.

14 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

Ebay will let you return tjings, post pictures to them to prove things were not right, talk to their people and yet won't let you post s bad review as they used to...that is the equivalent of accessory after the fact to let crooks continue, I had one item I bought at a great deal show on its tracking that it was printed out but never reached the post office..I got my money back but dealers can do that every time, just sell it from under you for more and do the lost in post bs....ebay let's them get away with it, I had a case of buying jewelry that was all solid 14k gold..when it arrived it was plated junk...started a case, won the case, posted pics to ebay to prove it..got my money vack, had to send the bad back for them to try and sell to the next person who might not see the flaking plate....ebay stopped me posting feedback to protect the next person along the line.

Yea I agree, I've never bought anything rare or good quality off ebay (shield wise).

The only thing I found was an 1880-S with A/V and won it, the seller messaged me and said he had been told via PM that it was rare and not to sell it, so he didn't post! 

I guess it's jus the thrill of the hunt, 1/10,000 may sell a coin they don't know what it is, like in my above story

The Gold Sovereign