• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

8 minutes ago, StackSellRepeat said:

What’s the oldest .999 coin you have seen?

matter in fact when was the first recorded .999 fine silver coin ever minted or are their no records as I can’t find any info on this???

I guess you are talking earlier than pre debasement denarius  , maybe earlier than Greek didrachm when they were literally silver coins , though I guess purity was variable due to manufacturing techniques. I expect looking at Archaelogical analysis of  ancient Fine silver coins  might help?  I guess in the UK an early King Offa silver penny.   I am sure there is someone on the Forum who has an early Denarius as they were fairly common...  once...

5 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Quite a lot of over the last few weeks, might do a group shot later. However this coin I have been lusting after for over 2 years since I found out it existed. 9k minted and one of only 4 times Kenya issued gold coins this being the first. 

Chuffed to have bought it at 2% over spot today!

Love this, if there was an equivalent for Tanzania (folks homeland) I would be all over it. 

11 minutes ago, h103efa said:

Love this, if there was an equivalent for Tanzania (folks homeland) I would be all over it. 

I bought the Kenyan one for the same reason. Tanzania actually issued several. The first I believe was this one before their currency got devalued by hyperinflation. (I know the region well having spent a lot of summers in both Kenya and Tanzania 

95B492CA-501C-4C03-AB45-3A1D48924D2F.jpeg

9E3204B8-F336-4352-B8E3-96F49827A4BE.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 hours ago, Spanishsilver said:

Today I received this set. 

I don’t think it’s worth anything. 

Thank god im not old enough to remember them. 

Anyone got any information about them. Am I sitting on a super rare coin?

nah didn’t think so. 

1DDC0F3C-CDCE-4096-A6AB-7D8AFD3F2BA2.jpeg

4CEF9DA2-3817-4FB6-806C-B734036CEDAE.jpeg

The one thing you have to remember about these coins was to work in the duo-decimal system so even the lowest of the low shop assistant had to be pretty numerate.

If you had to add say 5 items at 7s4d & 3 farthing together  you really had to have your wits about you.

[If you didn't know there were 20 bobs to the pound;  or 10 florins; or 4 dollars; or 8 half crowns; or 40 tanners;  or 240 coppers (or  if your really old bun pennies!); 480 'appneys; or 960 farthings;    oooooh and 80 threepence.  And if you were at school at the time of the change over you had to learn the decimal translation which was'nt a direct translation -  so 12 coppers became 5 np  and 4d and 5d  2np.   Lucky they had fingers and slide rules....   ]  

The Churchill crown is a super bit of history (he would have sorted Brexit);  but I don't think there was any silver in general circulation coinage post 1947.

Sorry no idea about values.... but I can guess... still quite a nice little presentation to pass down multiple generations ........

7 hours ago, Spanishsilver said:

nah didn’t think so. 

I have a similar but not identical set and paid £15 for it last year. Nice bit of history. 

1 hour ago, Caratacus said:

The one thing you have to remember about these coins was to work in the duo-decimal system so even the lowest of the low shop assistant had to be pretty numerate.

If you had to add say 5 items at 7s4d & 3 farthing together  you really had to have your wits about you.

[If you didn't know there were 20 bobs to the pound;  or 10 florins; or 4 dollars; or 8 half crowns; or 40 tanners;  or 240 coppers (or  if your really old bun pennies!); 480 'appneys; or 960 farthings;    oooooh and 80 threepence.  And if you were at school at the time of the change over you had to learn the decimal translation which was'nt a direct translation -  so 12 coppers became 5 np  and 4d and 5d  2np.   Lucky they had fingers and slide rules....   ]  

The Churchill crown is a super bit of history (he would have sorted Brexit);  but I don't think there was any silver in general circulation coinage post 1947.

Sorry no idea about values.... but I can guess... still quite a nice little presentation to pass down multiple generations ........

Being born in the eighties I have learnt some of these but there were many I didn't know. You say Bob but that is slang for shilling just to confuse things. Why was there an amount called 'dollar' when it's pounds sterling? Why a 'tanner' which sounds far too similar to the much much greater amount of a 'tenner'? 

Don't forget 21 shillings was a Guinea... 

My dad said some of the more posh and expensive shops used to just display the price without saying if it was in pounds or guineas. Apparently if you had to ask you couldn't afford it. Don't know if there's any truth in that?

Edited by Blockhead

1 hour ago, Caratacus said:

And if you were at school at the time of the change over you had to learn the decimal translation which was'nt a direct translation -  so 12 coppers became 5 np  and 4d and 5d  2np.  

and all the old folk kept complaining that we was being robbed as a result.  Of course old pennies were worth something in those days.

20 minutes ago, Seasider said:

and all the old folk kept complaining that we was being robbed as a result.  Of course old pennies were worth something in those days.

42 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

Being born in the eighties I have learnt some of these but there were many I didn't know. You say Bob but that is slang for shilling just to confuse things. Why was there an amount called 'dollar' when it's pounds sterling? Why a 'tanner' which sounds far too similar to the much much greater amount of a 'tenner'? 

Don't forget 21 shillings was a Guinea... 

My dad said some of the more posh and expensive shops used to just display the price without saying if it was in pounds or guineas. Apparently if you had to ask you couldn't afford it. Don't know if there's any truth in that?

I believe a silver dollar or silver crown (5 bob/shillings) were a similar value in silver at some point. 

Just did a quick search and ...  The V.A. miuseum refers to the medallist John Sigismund Tanner (d. 1775) origin German; came to England in 1728, soon after was appointed as an engraver at the Royal Mint. Became Chief Engraver in 1741. Apparently the sixpence he designed for George II popularly gained his name". Never knew that.

People still referred to Guineas post decimalization particularly as you allude to for luxury clothing

2 hours ago, Caratacus said:

Thanks for your knowledge. Very interesting how coins have changed. It’s funny I got more interested looking and researching these cheap old coins then I do with modern coins. 

8 hours ago, Spanishsilver said:

nah didn’t think so. 

Nice! The shillings need switching around though (single lion is the Scottish version). :)

2 hours ago, Caratacus said:

And to think my Nan used to complain that the new decimal system was confusing!

50 minutes ago, Seasider said:

5 minutes ago, argentmajor said:

And to think my Nan used to complain that the new decimal system was confusing!

As Seasider said, everyone thought they were being robbed as the shops "rounded up" which resulted in inflation  and it really did confuse people.... LSD (Libra, solidus, denarius) had basically been around since the Romans....    Lets hope we never "Eurolies"  our currency...........

14 hours ago, Caratacus said:

I believe a silver dollar or silver crown (5 bob/shillings) were a similar value in silver at some point. 

One of my favourite coins (that I don't own) is the 1804 5 shilling Bank of England token.  It has a legend on one side saying Five Shillings  :  Dollar.  Picture borrowed from Chards.

Reverse of 1820 George III Crown