• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

10 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

Ready for valentines day to keep wifey happy, only £40 so not much more than a dozen roses and lasts forever:

Link if anyone wants to spoil their significant other:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QWR7XJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I forgot it was valentines day I am also borrowing that idea as well :)

25 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Nice idea, though I opted for the pink one and it was only 26 :D

Check you get the presentation box, in the comments I read somewhere that some of the cheaper ones didn't come with it.

Edited by mr-dead

59 minutes ago, SilverPanFan said:

Here is my 1959 Great Britain 1 Sov in MS64 "graded" by NGC. Would you sovereign experts please tell me if this is really from the pictures

IMO Definitely. The coin looks good and there are marks on the obverse that match with the picture on the NGC certification.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

IMO Definitely. The coin looks good and there are marks on the obverse that match with the picture on the NGC certification.

Thanks @sovereignsteve. I know also some people take the numbers of real NGC slabs and post them online and sell fake coins on eBay. I was lucky to get it at a what I think is a good deal, not great. That will be my last coin purchase for now as I need to save up for other things. Was the sovereign an actual denomination or has it always been "bullion"?

Added 0 minutes later...

@sovereignsteve Is it a young head?

2 hours ago, SilverPanFan said:

Thanks @sovereignsteve. I know also some people take the numbers of real NGC slabs and post them online and sell fake coins on eBay. I was lucky to get it at a what I think is a good deal, not great. That will be my last coin purchase for now as I need to save up for other things. Was the sovereign an actual denomination or has it always been "bullion"?

Added 0 minutes later...

@sovereignsteve Is it a young head?

The sov had and still has a denomination of £1 and back in the day was used in day to day life not sure when people stopped using @sovereignsteve might know that one his knowledge is second to none with sov's 

7 hours ago, SilverPanFan said:

Was the sovereign an actual denomination or has it always been "bullion"?

yes in the 19th century, and early 20th, a sovereign was a £1 coin in circulation. Although £1 coins won't have been used much in everyday transactions as it was a lot of money.

Not sure when it ceased to circulate, certainly by WW1 gold was increasingly difficult to get and banknotes were being used. The price of gold would have been an issue then as well, and the UK had to send a lot of it to the USA to pay war loans etc

7 hours ago, SilverPanFan said:

Is it a young head?

No, it's the first QE2 effigy engraved by Mary Gillick. I suppose you could refer to it as a QE2 young head, maybe it will be so in years to come.

The young head refers to the first effigy of Victoria starting in 1838 and used until 1887

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

No, it's the first QE2 effigy engraved by Mary Gillick. I suppose you could refer to it as a QE2 young head, maybe it will be so in years to come.

The young head refers to the first effigy of Victoria starting in 1838 and used until 1887

@sovereignsteveI like that design a lot. I don't understand the fascination with Elizabeth II. We don't put one president on all of our money in the US so it odd to me. 

British currency rules dictate that all legal tender show the current monarch on the coins.  Our sovereigns are sovereigns for life. They are not voted in for a term of office.

When the Queen has had her day, Charles will be the new monarch and will continue to do so until his day is up. Then it will be William, then George.

It's called a monarchy. 

History is a subject worth understanding.