• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

25 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Could you explain what this means and what I am looking for in the picture? Thanks :)

Edit: oh I see...I was looking at the date numbers for overstamping 

Yes the 827 on truncation instead of w.w.

There were very few of these minted, I believe the theory is they were minted from an ingot whose number was 827. G P Dyer wrote an article on this coin, he was a Librarian at the Royal Mint, it was published in a Spinks circular in the 70/80s, I've got a copy on it's way from @CadmiumGreen who kindly sourced it for me.

A very interesting and very rare coin indeed, very few in existence and virtually none in good grade.

edit:

"This intriguing variety first came to light in 1954 when an 827 numbered truncation with die number 22 reverse turned up in the Hatton Hoard of gold found in Derbyshire. This initial coin ended up in the British Museum Collection. This variety is termed the “second” variety of the “827” Sovereign coupled with the die number 22 reverse. These are called the second variety as it is thought that this die numbered “827” Sovereign was produced and struck from a second batch of re-melted “scissel” and scrap emanating from the Rothschild brittle ingots delivered to the Mint around November to December 1863. Of the very few specimens known the Bentley specimen is one of the finest extant"

616163008_Screenshotfrom2018-08-1113-50-12.thumb.png.9ef40d2c208a75e8286d3014c1e82adf.png

"Returning to the 827 sovereign, it is fairly well established that the 827 on the obverse truncation was associated with a specific ingot that, like the gold from which the Ansell sovereign was made, was at first thought to be unusable. Records show that refiners Rothschild’s and Brown & Wingrove conducted further processing on two 200-ounce ingots (numbered 816 and 830) for the Mint, so it is thought that the initial batch of 827 sovereigns with no die number (S.3852F) were made from a similar ingot and proved to be acceptable for circulation. The subsequent 827 sovereigns with die number 22 on the reverse (S.3853A) were evidently made from the melted scrap and “scissel” (cuttings) left over from making the initial batch. Because of this, it is probable that all of the non-die numbered 827 sovereigns were produced and the results evaluated before full rate production of die numbered sovereigns began in 1863 (S.3853). Figure E shows the 827 on truncation that distinguishes the variant."

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

28 minutes ago, Kritika said:

Today I received, One with and one without....:)

Perth Mint Dragon and Phoenix 5.jpg

Both lovely coins I like that design, took me a while to notice the difference, was it a manufacturing fault or an early production type, which one is worth more, or is there no difference.

And finally why live in a dump like Tatooine, wretched hive of scum and villainy.

2 hours ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Both lovely coins I like that design, took me a while to notice the difference, was it a manufacturing fault or an early production type, which one is worth more, or is there no difference.

And finally why live in a dump like Tatooine, wretched hive of scum and villainy.

There is a really good post on here about the differences between the two but I cant find it anymore :wacko:

I don't mind living in Mos Espa's, weathers good and the authorities leave you well alone. So as long as you stay clear of the Hutt gangsters its not a bad place to do business really, although I must admittedly without the BYB group orders postage would be a real bitch.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:21, SILVERFINGER said:

for those of us who have taken ''quite a while' and still cant see the difference... whats occuring here?

2 minutes ago, NRSovereign said:

Someone start a thread about this matter as I I don’t have a clue

It was in reference to a post on the previous page of two slightly different Dragon & Phoenix coins.  The difference is in the ruffles at the back of the Phoenix head.  The question mark in my previous post was because I wasn’t sure if ‘ruffles’ was the correct word.

Just now, austack said:

My first graded coin ever, plan to keep hold of this until next year, I bought it as I felt like spending money so I would rather spend it on something I can get my money back on than something I can't.

xMV4avh.jpg

hntwz7I.jpg

That dont look like a normal sovereign, it looks nicer.

34 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

It was in reference to a post on the previous page of two slightly different Dragon & Phoenix coins.  The difference is in the ruffles at the back of the Phoenix head.  The question mark in my previous post was because I wasn’t sure if ‘ruffles’ was the correct word.

There is a difference in the finish if you look closely at one of them you will see in places that it has a proof like finish which came out in the end as a minting error by the Perth mint so that one demands a higher premium 

5 minutes ago, AgD said:

There is a difference in the finish if you look closely at one of them you will see in places that it has a proof like finish which came out in the end as a minting error by the Perth mint so that one demands a higher premium 

I want to thank you for this post but I have been 'post whoring' my likes and thanks a lot this morning and it says I ran out :wub:

Edited by SILVERFINGER

10 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I want to thank you for this post but I have been 'post whoring' my likes and thanks a lot this morning and it says I ran out :wub:

Time to pay for Premium Membership. ;)

53 minutes ago, AgD said:

I did see slight differences in the finish but just put that down to the photo and slightly different angles.  The difference in the Phoenix head is rather more obvious - does that also make any difference to the premiums?

5 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I did see slight differences in the finish but just put that down to the photo and slightly different angles.  The difference in the Phoenix head is rather more obvious - does that also make any difference to the premiums?

Yrs about £30 ish for the normal and then £70+ for the error